Xantia - strange noise - neil
My 18000 mile, 1 yr old Xantia Hdi 110 sometimes makes a strange gruff 'buzzing' noise once its run a few miles (10 plus). The noise is not engine speed related - and is not either of the cooling/air con fans. (Yes I've checked the fans physically - I know the aircon comes on on 'demist' even if its not on at the switch!) Its definitely an electrical component, in my opinion - though I may be wrong. It definitely doesn't vary with vehicle sped, engine load etc and is best heard stationary at idle , when it is intrusive. The noise goes off a couple of seconds after the engine is turned off - if the key is turned slowly, it is clear that the noise goes off at the same stage the stop solenoid comes in. If the engine is re-started immediately, the noise is gone, though later recurs.

Citroen dealer I use agrees the noise is there, but can't locate it - neither they nor I can make it do it on command, so I have sympathy with the,.

Any thoughts? Could this be the EGR valve? I've heard of another Hdi engine that was described as having a noise like a bee in a bottle, which was a faulty EGR valve?

Thanks
Re: Xantia - strange noise - jim
cat exhaust breaking up?
Re: Xantia - strange noise - neil
Jim - thanks for reply. Doesn't seem to have interested anyone else!
But no, it isn't the exhaust - definitely an electrical component vibrating. Unless the exhaust is causing an electrical component to vibrate!

Neil
Re: Xantia - strange noise - Darcy Kitchin
Neil

I wonder if it might be a solenoid valve for the suspension. My XM used to occasionally vibrate until the engine was turned off. Unfortunately as it was 9 years ago I forget the cause and the fix. The only thing I remember was gathering a small crowd at the dealers after the noise occurred so they could listen to it. They then listened to me criticising their problem-solving ability.
Has your Xantia got the trick suspension as found on the XM?
Not sure what you mean by 'trick' - its not an Activa (active ride thingy) but it does have the usual Cit hydro setup ie spheres etc.

Neil
Re: Xantia - strange noise - Darcy Kitchin
I think VSX models had a 6 sphere set up as per the XM, 1 on each wheel and and extra one on each "axle". The suspension computer would determine whether you needed extra firmness and cut out the two middle spheres. This helped in cornering and braking.
Re: Xantia - strange noise - David M
I have the same thought as Darcy - the hydraulic pressure regulator cutting in on a citroen diesel can sound a bit weird until you're used to it.

It's a sound that becomes more apparent as the spheres and hydraulic system age. As the pressure regulator is linked to the HP pump which only works while the engine is running, it would cut off with the engine in the way you describe.

If this is the problem I can't imagine how the garage would miss it - unless they're not familiar with hydropneumatic citroens.

See if you can provoke the noise by repeated rapid presses of the brake pedal. If you can produce it at will in this way, stop worrying about it, unless it's occurring every few seconds. Spheres are likely to need replacing every 3 or 4 years/30k miles.

David
Re: Xantia - strange noise - Mike Harvey
I have come across a relay buzzing, well, like a buzzer! When it next does it, reach for the relay box and feel them. You will soon know.
Regards
Mike
Right - I'l try these and get back to you.

Thanks all so far.

Neil
Once the noise is on, its on al the time until whatever it is is 'reset' by turning engine off and back on. Its a continuous 'drone' - does that fit with your sugggestion?

The dealer has been a Cit main dealer for thirty-odd years, so they must have seen a few. Doesn't mean they remembered them though - same sort of attention span as a goldfish, so maybe same memory span!
Re: Xantia - strange noise - Simon Butterworth
Your noise sounds similar to one mine makes occasionaly. On normal starting something motorish runs up at the rear in the same sort of time frame as the glow plugs on an old tech diesel. Stops when the engine fires. Possibly primes the fuel system??. If the car does a short run, stops and restarts- going for the bread on holiday in France was a case in point- then it will groan. No repetition and not a hope of it replicating for the dealer. Could the same component be running uncommanded together with the engine?

May be a clue?
Re: Xantia - strange noise - Jim K
Is that the ABS 'priming/self testing'. Try pulling the fuse before the first start of the day. Is the 'motor' still there. If not, does it appear when you replace the fuse and restart the engine.
Jim
Thanks Jim - tried it, not that!

Thanks anyway.

Neil
Thanks Simon

I know the noise you mean - mine does that as well but I assumed that was normal!

This one is definitely from the front.

A Citroen website (Andyspares Forum) - (nd yes, I know that I'm promiscuous!) is suggesting vacuum pump or an electrical HP fuel pump (has the Hdi got an electric fuel pump?? - I'll have a look at both of these and report back.

Thanks al for your interest so far.