Peugeot 406 TD knocking sound - ZenZen
Hello all and thanks for taking time to read over my problem. I drive a 1998 Peugeot 406 TD and recently a knocking sound has appeared. This sound is coming from the drivers side and over the weekend I found that the anti roll bar attached to the shock absorber had gone and changed it, thinking that this was the problem. The ball joint was worn and loose. But the knocking still remains.

This sound only happens intermittently, some mornings when starting from cold it is a quite loud knocking sound and other mornings nothing is heard. When I was changing the anti roll bar I also noticed that the top of the shock was a little oily (damp looking) so I will have to change it also as it is possibly going. What I was wondering would a shock that is going be responsible for a knocking sound? This sound is quite a dull knock, but can be very loud at times.

I will have to eliminate the shock absorber, but is seems more like a sound of an engine mount. This morning as I was coming to work I was jerking the car easily via the accelerator and it knocked every time I did this. When I stopped and turned of the engine and restarted, the knock was very loud. Then I drove a little more jerking the pedal again and there was no sound at all, then when I slowed down it did make a sound. This is what makes me believe more that it is an engine mount as the engine would move quite a bit when starting and stopping, but why does it not happen all the time? It's really frustrating to be honest.

On some bends you will here a slight knock or going over bumps, but again this doesn?t happen all the time. It is really hard to pin point exactly, I have had my father holding the shock absorber while I start up and when it does make the knocking sound he couldn?t really feel any vibration in the shock itself, which leads me to think it's more an engine mount or even something else.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem with a knocking sound and if they could recommend anywhere else to look or check around the engine? The car has approx 89000 miles on the clock.

I have also when around all visible nuts on the engine mounts to see if any may have been loose, but they where all tight.

I could really use your advice on this one!

Cheers,
ZenZen
Peugeot 406 TD knocking sound - Reggie
Sounds very much like the drop link. Have a look at the rear drop links as well.

"some mornings when starting from cold it is a quite loud knocking sound "

I assume that you are talking here of when you are on the move?

Reggie
Peugeot 406 TD knocking sound - madf
Well by deduction: it happens when the engine is started but car is not running from your post.
So rule out: suspension and driveshafts as no movement.

I reckon its:
an engine mount
a gearbox mount
an exhaust system mount/ or leaking exhaust gasket (check by placing hand over exhaust when engine is knocking from cold)

Take your pick.. or all three.
madf
Thanks fro the replies guys, well we checked again this morning and it does seem to be an engine mount. The one on the timing belt side, which has an assembly attached. It seems to be moving / lifting a bit when starting up and the knock does sound as if it is coming from there. Now to see if I can get a replacement and get the old one changed.

Cheers!

ZenZen
In regards to being on the move Reggie, no this can happen when starting up in a stationary position.

Cheers,
ZenZen