2001 Honda Civic 1.6 timing belt - CountryCousin
Apologies if this is a daft question or has been answered before.

We have a 1.6 civic auto which has covered only 27k miles from new. We have just received an "invitation" from the dealer to have the timing chain replaced for £200, 2 weeks after an expensive service when it was not mentioned.

I am surprised as i thought if it really needed doing they would have offered to do this at the time of the service.

Is the received wisdom that this is a sensible precaution on an age not miles basis and they simply forgot to tell us before, or are dealers doing this to "cover their backs", and generate workshop activity during quiet periods?

Thanks for any advice or opinions!
2001 Honda Civic 1.6 timing belt - yorkiebar
Timing belt or timing chain ?
I thought it was a chain but the letter says belt.
Can you tell without taking bits off?
2001 Honda Civic 1.6 timing belt - yorkiebar
If you know your engines well you should be able to tell; but if not very experienced at engine detail may be bit harder.

Its also complicated by the fact that (according to my info) there are 3 versions of 1600 civic 2001.

However, all my info says all should be belts.

Change times vary but appear to be around 72k or every 8 years whichever occurs first.

I would want to know

1 why was it not mentioned at service time if it was in need of change.
2 have they had some problems with belts and are suggesting a change accordingly? (they should have some backup info if this is the case)
3 Why are they suggesting a change before the honda specified time if neither above apply?

if by any chance it is a chain, then when do honda recommend change (if at all)?
2001 Honda Civic 1.6 timing belt - grease monkey
sgc, just to confirm that yorkie bar is correct in saying that the civic of 2001 has a cambelt & not a chain,it should be changed at 72k if on 9k service intervals or 75k if on 12.5k service intervals,there are no issues with belts breaking/tensioners letting go etc before there due for change, they go up to the mileage without problem, it sounds like your local dealer is short of work at the moment from what you`ve said
--
if it aint broke don`t fix it
2001 Honda Civic 1.6 timing belt - mike hannon
Agreed. Don't lose any sleep over it.
Thank you for all the advice.
will sit tight for the moment.