Formule 1 hotels in France? - MichaelR
Hi all,

I hope this falls within the remit of this forum as I'd appreciate the opinions and advice of the more learned amongst you! It's a motoring holiday, so hopefully, can be considered on topic.

I'm taking a friend of mine on a road trip of sorts towards the end of next month - we intend to get a Ferry to France, drive over to the Nurburgring for a day or so, and then spend the next week or so having a poke around Switzerland and France, hopefully taking in Nice.

Now, in true student fashion, it's intended to be quite random. I notice that Formule 1 appears to be the French equivilent of a Travelodge - great prices (30 euros a night? Brilliant) and hopefully although its hardly 5 stars, consistent quality. Ideally, I'd like to book simply return ferry crossings and as for the rest of the time, see what happens.

Has anyone used Formule 1 hotels? Would they be suitable? Are the very tempting rates only available if you book online in advance - what sort of money does it cost to just pitch up on the night?

Any other recommendations from a Motoring holiday in France?

With any luck I'll have my shiney new E39 5 Series by then, but I'm sadly not holding my breath at the moment!
Formule 1 hotels in France? - Xileno {P}
Here you go, it's all here.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=41198&...e

Not the sort of place to impress a lady, if that's your plan.
Formule 1 hotels in France? - barchettaman
Unless she´s just got out of a woman´s prison, in which case she´ll feel right at home ;-)

They´re not that bad - only kidding.

I s´pose you´ve got all the info for the opening hours of the Nurburgring etc etc. If not give me a shout + I´ll put it up.
Formule 1 hotels in France? - Gromit {P}
Formule 1 is part of the Accor chain. AFAIK, they quote a flat rate per night, which is the same irrespective of whether you book online, by phone or just arrive on the day.

There's also a facility where, as you leave one Accor hotel, you can book ahead for the next night in your destination. Handy if you're travelling during a busy period (September tends to be busy in French college towns as the returning students are waiting to find accomodation for the year).

Otherwise, everything you need to know is in the thread Xileno quoted above.
Interesting thread. Just after cheap student-style cost effective accomodation really..

Although I dont like the idea of not having a private bathroom.
Formule 1 hotels in France? - jc2
Campanile have full bathroom(unlike Formula 1 where it is one for every 4 rooms)and also most have restaurants including excellent dinner and breakfast buffets.
Formule 1 hotels in France? - smokie
I think quite a few Frenchmen use Formule 1 to impress their ladies judging by the noises at the last one I stayed at. Daytime daliiances though...

I've used them quite a bit as "crash pads" when driving through Europe (en route to Le Mans or the Nurburgring). They are fine - double bed with an adult bunk over, so two guys can share a room without having to share a bed. No en suite - bathroon is along the corridor. I've never bothered with their breakfasts - I prefer to find a local cafe.

Some are unattended after a certain time but they have a hole in the wall affair to book through - you get entry codes for main door and your room. However some of those in more popular locations have been sold out, so have a backup plan.

The next up the chain is the Etap - much the same but you have en suite.

The rooms in both are small with TV, desk area and one chair, so you wouldn't want to plan to spend much time in the room.
Formule 1 hotels in France? - component part
Now, in true student fashion,

shiney new E39 5 Series

Am I missing something here...what the hell??
>> Now, in true student fashion,
>> shiney new E39 5 Series
Am I missing something here...what the hell??

Of course, they went out of production 3 years ago so it's only new to me, I could never afford a brand new one! It'll be about 5-6 years old.
Formule 1 hotels in France? - component part
Heh heh. Nice cars...even a 5-6 year old one is hardly Student tho...have fun 'poking' around Switzerland and France;-)
Formule 1 hotels in France? - mike hannon
But don't forget the national speed limit in Switzerland is 80kph (50mph) and they don't like lawbreakers! You'll need a temporary permit if you use the motorways, too.
Formule 1 hotels in France? - roy38
From what I remember the showers are great (just get in early if it's busy).
Unlimited coffee and bread in the morning (four years ago anyway).

Good, economic, no-frills overnight accommodation; wouldn't fancy a fortnight in one however. Mind you, personally I wouldn't fancy a fortnight in any hotel.

I remember one I stayed in north of Paris, even had a big, old friendly motel dog (that isn't a pseudonym for some sort of dodgy room service either).
They do what they say on the tin.

Oh, don't forget to lock your car and take the laptop out of the boot.

----
roy38
----
Formule 1 hotels in France? - PhilW
Formula 1 are cheap but very basic - especially the shared loo and showers, also v. small rooms
A few euros more will get you ensuite - Campanile and Etap as mentioned above and also B&B, Kyriad etc. Ibis are a bit more expensive (50 euros), and often cheaper at weekends near cities when businessmen not using them, but do have a bar and restaurant. Also well worth a look are the Logis de France - small family owned hotels at a variety of prices - some very cheap - often with superb food at reasonable prices. Wherever you stay it will be better value than in UK!
Here are a few websites to browse - enjoy your trip!
www.hotel-bb.com/index.phtml?NumLangue=2
www.etaphotel.com/etaphotel/index.html
www.ibishotel.com/ibis/index.html
www.envergure.fr/kyriadfr.html
www.logis-de-france.fr/uk/recherch/index-ca.htm

--
Phil
Absolutely brilliant Phil, thanks for that. Very useful.

Not much more in terms of cost seems to get a lot more in terms of facilities etc!

I think what I'll do is try and plot as many of the different places on the map as I possibly can - I will be taking GPS and also a Laptop. Then its just a case of finding the nearest one every night, im guessing it isnt like the UK in that its half the price sometimes if you book in advance?
"its half the price sometimes if you book in advance?"
not in my experience - but wel worth looking at different prices for weekdays and weekends. for example - industrial city like Lille, Ibis hotel 10 euros ish cheaper at weekends, near coast opposite might apply. Also good idea to either get there early (5 or 6 pm ?) or book ahead, either on web if you know your route, or via your previous night hotel as mentioned above.
One other recommendation - for good feed up and lovely hotel on last night before crossing channel, try this place.
Double rooms from 59 euros, menus from 23 euros (with cheese made on premises), breakfast with home made breads and jam etc, nice little bar with local beers
www.fermeduvert.com/decouvrir.php
(I have no connection with the place except as a customer last spring - but I'm definitely going back!)
have fun

--
Phil
Formule 1 hotels in France? - Pugugly {P}
Don't bother with them, find a decent B&B in a village somewhere, decent home cooking a genuine welcome and an atmoshpere you'll remember for the rest of your life.
It's worth bearing in mind that Ibis hotels invariably (in my experience!) have someone on reception who speaks English, so there's no need to be afraid to ring them to book in advance.
Often Etap do as well (same group).
The Accor Hotels website will send lists, as well as a loyalty card, etc.
Logis de France seems to have shot up in price over the last couple of years and the quality is VERY variable. Some are excellent, some rather lacking. But, it has to be said, the food is likely to be very good and not expensive.
We've clocked up more than 150 hotel stops in different French areas now, so if anyone has a particular location in mind, we may have been there first and can help! Maybe I should write a book...
Is the whole 'Just see where we end up' thing feasible without booking in advance? I guess if we've got the positions of loads of recommended places on the map...

Hope to get down to Monaco and then back up again..
"Is the whole 'Just see where we end up' thing feasible without booking in advance? I guess if we've got the positions of loads of recommended places on the map.."

Yes. we've done it many times

BUT - don't try it at school holiday time near the coast! We had to spend a night in the car at Calais of all places because we couldn't find a room in any hotel from one to 5 stars from Boulogne to Calais to St Omer. At 3 am in St Omer we gave up and drove back to the docks, parked and waited for the next ferry about 4 hours later. On the other hand we have also found accommodation easily at height of summer (not so sure about Monaco though!!)
Order the Logis book on line, pick up all other hotel chain books when you stop (There are Ibis hotels in UK - go pick up a book of all Accor group hotels). In rural areas you should have no problem especially if you stop at hotels before about 7 pm, and I'm pretty sure that in 90% of towns and villages you will find a room easily at logis, local hotel or bed and breakfast place ("chambres d'hotes" in France. you will see little circular green signs pointing to farmhouses etc)
Hey, half the fun will be trying it - and when you succeed, toasting your success with a bottle of wine, a good meal or a beer or two in the local bar - go for it!!
HTH

--
Phil
Formule 1 hotels in France? - jeds
Formula One are ok - good value I'd say and if you can't get a room at a particular location there is usually one within 10, 15, 20 miles or so.

I would also recommend B&B hotels though. Similar deal but I find better rooms and more of them. If you turn up and there is no room you can search for the nearest available one at the consul.

I have travelled through France many times in all directions and I don't think I've ever had a situation when I couldn't find a B&B Hotel - and that's with 2 adults and 2 kids. And they are also always located next to a Buffalo Grill or something similar that also serves booze. Which is handy.
Formule 1 hotels in France? - Pugugly {P}
oh dear whatever happened to the little French B&B and a glass of wine with the locals in the village bar....
Formule 1 hotels in France? - aahbarnes
And they are also always located next to a
Buffalo Grill or something similar that also serves booze. Which is
handy.

I've always found the Buffalo Grill to be pretty awful, the last one we used in Beaune we were served stone cold chips. Much better to find a local restaurant, usually with a 3 course menu for 15 euros or so.
Formule 1 hotels in France? - aahbarnes
Here are a few websites to browse - enjoy your trip!
www.hotel-bb.com/index.phtml?NumLangue=2
www.etaphotel.com/etaphotel/index.html
www.ibishotel.com/ibis/index.html
www.envergure.fr/kyriadfr.html
www.logis-de-france.fr/uk/recherch/index-ca.htm

On a recent trip to france I stayed at most of these. I avoided formule 1 because of the shared facilities.

Stayed in Etap in Dijon, on a nice quiet road, clean room with nice modern shower room, bread and jam for breakfast.
Stayed in a Logis de France guest house in the south near Le Lavandou. Bit more expensive, but typically french and nice breakfast with croisants, bread and jam. Also had swimming pool.
Hotel-bb in Beaune. Nice new hotel, clean room with great bathroom with bath and shower. Very good price, Bread, jam, croissants, didgy scrambled egg and bacon for breakfast. Free Wifi internet access was a bonus.
Hotel-bb in Calais area was not so good. Walls in room were dirty and bathroom was old, breakfast same as above. Seems that he quality of hotel-bb is variable.
Mike, you´ve got Hotmail.
Me? See profile for my email.
Formule 1 hotels in France? - Adam {P}
I think he means Mike as in Michael R. And your email address isn't in your profile anyway!
Spot on Adam. Sorry for the confusion - meant MichaelR.
It is now. Never noticed before.
Formule 1 hotels in France? - Harmattan
Just back from touring in France last night so a few words may help. Formula One are fine providing you just want somewhere to crash. Campanile or Kyriad are not really worth the extra (roughly double according to location). Neither are Ibis at (60-70 euros according to location) but they are more often in a better location than an industrial estate, i.e. St Omer (just off main square) and Chartres (either a riverside and steps walk to the Cathedral or a longer steady uphill pedestrian avenue). B&B are my usual compromise but prices are now averaging 38 euros plus breakfast. Get up early if you want to be sure of the scrambled eggs and bacon for B&B are the only cheap chain offering a hot option. Their automatic pre-booking system doesn't seem to have much line capacity and proved impossible to use.

A couple of times last week we joined the 5pm cruise round all the cheap hotels as travellers searched the industrial zones for a bed. we all desperately chased around trying to leapfrog each other. On Sundays in France, don't even think about turning up on spec looking for a rural hotel. The hoteliers like to take the day off and restaurants are likely to be closed too.
Formule 1 hotels in France? - mathilde1

Hallo,

I would like to recommend you another hotel which could be cheaper than Formule 1 and better situated. You can find many holidays vacation in Nice or hotels in Nice which won't be so expensive and will have many facilities. You can choose from many options - apartments, single or double room.

(Edit - link removed)

Edited by Avant on 02/05/2013 at 00:29

Formule 1 hotels in France? - jc2

Many of the chain hotels offer a lower price if you accept a "no cancellation" option. ie. pay upfront.

Formule 1 hotels in France? - FP

Spam, I reckon.

Formule 1 hotels in France? - Bromptonaut

Spam, I reckon.

Sudden entry in a seven YO thread and not starting with 'I have this issue too'?

Finest quality luncheon meat sir.

Formule 1 hotels in France? - BigJohnD

If the big Euro-brands aren't your style, try Logis France: http://www.logishotels.com/

Formule 1 hotels in France? - maximus

Did not realise thread was so old, anyhow premiere classe and fast hotel are quite close in price to f1 and have private facilities.

Formule 1 hotels in France? - Smileyman

I know it's an old thread, I've never used F1 hotels, but have used IBIS and ETAP, last time I was theyre they had free wifi in the rooms, (in France), it was necessary to obtain a pass code from reception, or two if a heavy data user. However I think the wifi has a charge in other countries, at €10 a night it's another item to factor into the overall night stay