Mini Cooper S Vs Mondeo Ghia X TDCi!!! - Adam {P}
I know - you couldn't make it up but my auntie is torn between these two cars.

The Mini is 02 plate with twenty something miles on the clock and the Chilli pack on. It has an enormous screen which one can only assume is the sat nav and a lot of toys including two sunroofs.

The Mondeo is 53 plate with 30 odd thousands miles on but is the Ghia X and has everything. Reliable and comfy.

However, whilst she is torn, she really wants the Mini. The only problems are the massive difference in price an the insurance costs. (She doesn't care about economy to an extent).

The Mini is working out at a fair bit more than the Mondeo but assuming this all gets sorted, is there any reason why she shouldn't get this Mini? Before you answer, a few slight points about it:

* The steering wheel "Mini" bit is scratched quite a bit on the silver circle. It would annoy me if it were mine but she noticed it too. Any way of just replacing this or would a new steering wheel be the answer?

* The silver switches for the stability program, windows and all that malarky have flaked a tiny amount of silver. Given the easy life of the car, how could this be?

Despite this, she really likes it. Another important point is that she plans to keep it for a good while. I know the Mondeo makes sense, I know it's cheaper and I know it probably gives a better motorway ride but you can tell she wants something fun and I can't really blame her so, like I said, assuming the insurance doesn't become a problem, and the price gets sorted out, in other words, assuming all things are equal, why should she not buy this MIni?

Many thanks,

Adam
I should point out - the Mini has twenty something thousand miles on the clock. It's also immaculate outside.
Mini Cooper S Vs Mondeo Ghia X TDCi!!! - Wilco {P}
Quote - "However, whilst she is torn, she really wants the Mini."

Think she's answered her own question. Mondel is the sensible buy but you don't always have to be sensible.
Mini Cooper S Vs Mondeo Ghia X TDCi!!! - Gromit {P}
The Mondeo may be sensible, but the Mini will be more fun. Besides that sounds like what she really wants. And, when it comes time to change, someone else will want it too, whereas a middle-aged Monedo is worth practically nothing.
When she comes to get rid, either car would have over 100k on - I don't know how well the Mini would hold up after that.

She likes the Mondeo and the thing is - that's what we went there to see. She'd probably have it now if she hadn't seen the Mini! I think she'll end up with that to be honest. I'd have the Mondeo though - the air conditioned seats were too....well....cool!

Thanks for the advice - I'll keep you all informed.

Adam
Mini Cooper S Vs Mondeo Ghia X TDCi!!! - Altea Ego
ONe you buy with the head, one with the heart,

but

the Mini has 20k up now, and will have over 100k when it goes? Hmm big question, could she really suffer 80k jiggly noisy miles?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
That's what was of slight concern to me. How does the Mini fare in a crash by the way?

She hasn't driven the Mini yet - she's driven plenty of Mondeos so knows how they drive and they're ten a penny so if this falls through, then it's no great loss to have to find a new one.

She's like me when it comes to cars - really likes them, loves fast driving and like me, probably doesn't care about the ride as long as it drives well.

She should be test driving it today so we'll see what happens.

How does the Mini fare in a crash by the way?

Dont know, not knocked one of them off the road yet, will let you know in due course, its on my list but i havent done "c" yet. (Done "b")
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Believe it or not RF, for once, I didn't mean anything by that!
www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/details.ph...2

4* suprisingly, given that its a recent design.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
That's not too bad - as long as it isn't 1 star or something.

I'm a bit concerned about the supercharger as it's likely to get used....a lot! I've had a quick look at some reviews and not noticed anything untoward but I'd hate for it to go bang a few years down the line.

Mini Cooper S Vs Mondeo Ghia X TDCi!!! - Pugugly {P}
Nothing new here, SWMBO at one point was trying to decide beetwen a MINI and a MK3 Disco. MINI for me any time.
Mini Cooper S Vs Mondeo Ghia X TDCi!!! - Pugugly {P}
Brill RF !
Mini Cooper S Vs Mondeo Ghia X TDCi!!! - mikeyb
I would be a little concerned over the flaking paint on the switches. I know it happens on quite a few cars now on buttons that see alot of use, but why the stability / traction buttons unless they have seen lots of use. Just a thought, but could this be a sign of a car which has seen a hard life?
That's what I thought but in 20 odd thousand miles?

We're going to try for a test drive one night this week so I'll keep you all informed.
Mini Cooper S Vs Mondeo Ghia X TDCi!!! - Martin Devon
That's what I thought but in 20 odd thousand miles?
We're going to try for a test drive one night this
week so I'll keep you all informed.

Come on gis us an answer. I want to go to bed.

vbr md
Mini Cooper S Vs Mondeo Ghia X TDCi!!! - Micky
">she really wants the Mini.<"

That's your answer.
Mini Cooper S Vs Mondeo Ghia X TDCi!!! - DavidHM
She should get the Mini. She'll probably regret it if she needs a motorway cruiser but it would be much easier for her to swap out of the Mini into the Mondeo than the other way round.
Just to update you all - she's staying in her job and is keeping her company car (an 06 plate Astra diesel) so probably best all round from a cost point of view.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Adam