Avensis D4D T180 impressions. - cheddar
Cheddar's second road test of the week ;-) - after the Yamaha FZ1 Fazer 1000 that is !.

From reading various press reports, including HJ's, it seemed to me that the 177bhp 2.2 D4D T180 Toyota engine might be the next big thing in diesel motoring this side of a 335d so I was interested to compare the new Avensis T180 with other TDs I have driven and in particular with my own Mondeo TDCi 130 which has over 4 years and 100k + miles provided a fantastic blend of performance, economy and driving pleasure.

I reckon the piezo injected Toyota motor idles more noisily than the Mondeo when cold though when warm it is as quiet and is the only other four cylinder diesel I have come across that, like the TDCi, idles smoothly in a petrol like way rather than the urgent thrum that usually defines a diesel at idle. On the move it is a very refined engine with no sign of any diesely tinkling, pretty crisp and free revving though again no real gain over the TDCi. It soon became apparent that the journalists that have reported that the T180 lacks torque at very low revs are right, trickling along at 1500 rpm or so it feels responsive though when you put your foot down it only really gets urgent once it hits 2000 rpm, in contrast the Mondeo pulls strongly at 1500 rpm and is really on the move by about 17 -1800 and - it has to be said - the 2.2 TDCi 155 is simply stonking in comparison. The difference it seems is that the T180 produces it maximum (400nm) torque at over 2000 rpm where both TDCi motors hit their maximum at 1800 rpm with torque building strongly from below 1500 rpm. I would say that a 320d would also feel more torquey than the T180 below 2000 rpm however I should also say that this particular car had done 1500 miles so was not too tight though may loosen up with more miles. The T180 certainly pulls well between 2000 and 3000 rpm though when revved beyond 3500 where it makes it's maximum 177bhp it did not feel like it has 177bhp relative to the Mondeo's 130. In part that is probably because the TDCi 130s actually produce around 148bhp as standard according to the likes of Superchips so the difference is probably more like 25 to 30 bhp at most rather than the 45 to 50 bhp on paper, and the Avensis is also probably a little heavier.

I have not said much about the car itself because it was the engine that really interested me however the Avensis is very pleasant to drive with a nicely laid out dash, it does not steer as sharply as the Mondeo and feels a little dead around the straight ahead position though it holds the road very well, the ride is very good, better over sharp bumps and pot holes than the Mondeo, and it is nice and quiet at speed despite a bit of wind noise around the mirrors. Talking about 'at speed' the 6th gear ratio offers nearly 40mph / 1000 rpm, ludicrously high for UK roads, at anything less than 75 - 80mph you have very little response when you put your foot down making 5th, in my mind, much more practical for anything other than 100mph plus continental cruising, in fact if you slow down to 50mph, due to the high gearing and lack of torque below 2000 rpm, you really have to change down to 4th to quickly pick up speed again where my 5 speed Mondeo geared to 31mph / 1000 stomps away from less than 50 in top and still offers a relaxed 80mph cruise at about 2500 rpm.

All in all I reckon the Avensis D4D T180 is a very good engine in a good car, I didn't have any real preconceptions of the Avensis itself though the T180 engine on balance does not quite meet my expectations, that of being the next big thing in diesel, however I could certainly live with one and the wife has worked out that you can get a seven seater Corolla Verso T180 which I reckon will be on our list as and when we seriously get around to a new car.

Regards.
Avensis D4D T180 impressions. - type's'
Cheddar - could you elaborate on the ride a liitle more please on this car.
Was it firm, soft, comfortable etc ???
I would be interested in your views.
The Avensis would not be described as soft though it handles sharp bumps and pot holes well, certainly not as cosseting as a C5 and some road noise is apparent from the (215/50-17) tyres on all but the smoothest of surfaces though all in all it is quite comfortable. I personally prefer to be more in touch with the wheels even if it means sacrificing a little ride comfort and in this regard the Avensis feels just a little remote, it does not have the crispest of turn-ins however it corners securely and predictably. Lower powered diesels have 16" wheels which may further improve the ride comfort and perhaps reduce the road noise on rough surfaces.

Regards.
Avensis D4D T180 impressions. - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
Lower powered diesels have 16"
wheels which may further improve the ride comfort and perhaps reduce
the road noise on rough surfaces.

My 2.2 D-4D 150 is on 16s and seems a little more cossetting than a 17" shod model that I had a quick spin in. The road noise is very variable, although I never find it too intrusive it does vary from near silent to fairly noticable - it is very surface sensitive. Suspect that different tyres vary greatly too, mine is on Bridgestones but the showroom display model was on same-size Dunlops; presumably Toyota fit either as standard on new models. Incidentally, in the past I have found that Michelin Pilot Energys cannot be beaten for reducing road noise.
Avensis D4D T180 impressions. - tyro
Good post, cheddar. The more throughful, well-written, fair, balanced (etc.) road tests we have in the back room the better. And, to be honest, we don't get that many of them.

Mind you, that was an awful lot of words just to say "What you really want is a Mondeo TDCi"

;-)
Avensis D4D T180 impressions. - ziggy
Wot about the Lexus..? This has nearly 300 flt-lb and didn't I hear it doesn't even have
an intercooler...?

And all that torque goes to the rear wheels, unlike the Mondy & Toyota.
IIRC the Lexus 220d is the same engine, I have read that it lack torque below 2000 in the same way.
Avensis D4D T180 impressions. - Murphy The Cat
There is a car that I can think of that gives you over 376 lb ft of torque to the back wheels. admittedly, it's about £4000 dearer than the Avensis - but it gives you lots more as well.

Now what do they call it ? mmmm, errrrrr,mmmmmmm oh blast, it's on the tip of my tongue and I can't remember for the life of me.

hang on a sec, I've got it. It's a ..................................

MTC
Avensis D4D T180 impressions. - type's'
Thanks cheddar - a really informative read.
There is a car that I can think of that gives
you over 376 lb ft of torque to the back wheels.
admittedly, it's about £4000 dearer than the Avensis - but
it gives you lots more as well.
Now what do they call it ? mmmm, errrrrr,mmmmmmm oh
blast, it's on the tip of my tongue and I can't
remember for the life of me.
hang on a sec, I've got it. It's a ..................................

A re-chipped Mondeo 2.2 TDCi driven in reverse...?
IIRC the Lexus 220d is the same engine, I have read
that it lack torque below 2000 in the same way.

Could it be a combination of perception and/or higher gearing...?

Could it be a combination of perception and/or higher gearing...?

No, as I said at 1500 rpm or so it feels responsive though when you put your foot down it only really gets urgent once it hits 2000 rpm however in comparison the Mondeo is pully strongly well before 2000.
Avensis D4D T180 impressions. - Aprilia
Are you on a commission from Ford, Cheddar?
Are you on a commission from Ford, Cheddar?

No, I drive one and when I drive another car I naturally compare it principally withn the car drive most, likewise motorcycles, I am sure you would do the same. I believe my post it is fairly well balanced, I simply tell it as I find it, it is true to say the Mondeo stands up well against this newer competitor however I have praised the Avensis where praise is due particularly it's relative ride quality. Furthermore I have said that a Verso with the T180 engine is certainly on our shopping list.

Oh, and no Aprilia, I did not compare the quality of the electrcal connector on the respective CR systems all I can say is the the Delphi connectors on the Mondeo have stayed quite well, er, connected and the Denso ones on the Avensis were, while I was driving it were also apparently quite well connected.

Regards.