A different type of starting problem - merseygull
I have a R plate Rover 400, done 120K, new engine at 80k, when I start up in the morning, no matter how cold, the starter motor turns over at full pace and the engine fires up.

If however I stall when the engine is warm, the starter motor refuses to turn at all... if I wait for the engine to cool a little, the starter motor will turn begrudginly - like I've got a flat battery (I haven't) the SM will only turn at full speed when the engine is cold...

New alternator, rectifier checked, head sent away to exclude cracks, my mechanic has now run out of ideas... Any help out there?

ATB,J.
A different type of starting problem - Dynamic Dave
an earthing problem? Increased by the expansion of the engine when warm maybe?
A different type of starting problem - Crinkly Dave
Had the same trouble with my 405 petrol since 2 yrs old. Will start like a good un when cold, or very hot, but if you leave it for 20 minutes to soak it would not turn over.

Of course, if left with bonnet open would start in 5 minutes, so any faultfinding was confusing. Swopped battery, but came back again. Swopped starter, but came back again. Swopped ignition switch, but came back again

After several year took direct lead from ignition switch to starter and cured it. Decided probably dry joint in immobiliser, but what the hell, it works

Then, this summer, it came back again
A different type of starting problem - Civic8
I am not so sure its temperature related,I suspect a faulty motor,problem you are having is probably commutator/brush problems IMO
--
Steve
A different type of starting problem - merseygull
Forgot to mention, had a new starter motor fitted as well...

ATB,J.
A different type of starting problem - yorkiebar
Does sound like a starter problem.
A different type of starting problem - none
Came across a similar problem on an LDV recently. It turned out to be a faulty earth lead. The connections at each end were clean and tight and the lead itself appeared to be in good condition, but there must have been a high resistance between one of the crimped ends and the cable. Next time it plays up, try a good quality earth lead direct from battery earth to engine block, if this works, start looking at earth leads.
A different type of starting problem - none
Should add that I meant jump lead - quick and easy to try without dismantling anything.