Garage repairs - Mark (Brazil)
Something I don't understand....

Imagine;

You take your car with a fault to a garage.
You ask them to work out what it is and fix it.
The come back and say the widget is up the duff and needs to be replaced for $n
They do the work, the problem isn't fixed.

Why does the garage then expect $n for not fixing the problem ?

Different of course if you asked them to fix the widget, but if you asked for the problem to be solved and they haven't, surely that is their responsibility including any erroneous labour and part costs, including those costs in putting the car back into its previous state.

To replace a $500 widget because the garage says it will sovle the problem, and iot doesn't in wrong. Surely there should be some redress ?
Re: Garage repairs - Matt Kelly
That always staggers me too, they should take off replacement widget which has failed to cure problem and restore original one so you're back in the same boat with a token payment for the effort.

No doubt others will give an opinion from the spanner wielder's point of view.
Re: Garage repairs - Dave N
Mark, I have mentioned this numerous times before when people have come to this site and moaned about buying a new widget for £xxx and it hasn't fixed the problem, but never get many replies. If I'm asked to fix something, I always make sure I spell out exactly what I believe the case is before starting. And if it doesn't work afterwards, they don't pay. I work on the theory that they are buying my expertise, not my ability to bolt on parts.

Unfortunatley some things are so complicated that even main dealers with all their experience and training don't know what's wrong, and they aren't given the time to trouble-shoot and order parts to try. Firstly, they're on a bonus structure that rewards speed, and all parts they order from the manufacturer have to be paid for, there's no sale or return, so they pass the cost on. And being stupid timid englishmen, we pay for them. Plus they've got your motor and won't give it back till you pay!!
Re: Garage repairs - Big Vern

>. And being stupid timid englishmen,
> we pay for them. Plus they've got your motor and won't give
> it back till you pay!!

See my post about cowboy servicing recently, when push comes to shove what are you going to do about it???

9 times out of 10 there is nothing you can do about being shafted, be it by a builder, double galzing company or a mechanic.

There is good ones and bad ones, if you find a good one, sing it from the roof tops and let the rest of us know, at the minute I could not recommend a single mechanic in my area.
Re: Garage repairs - Sid
Whats your area?
Re: Garage repairs - Big Vern
Belfast N.Ireland
Re: Garage repairs - Brian
Mark
Surely under the Sale of Goods Act, you do not have to pay if you purchase goods or services on terms of " I want a widget to do so-and-so", or "My xxxxx does not work, please fix it", making it clear that you are relying on their expertise to supply the correct widget or do the correct work, and the goods or services are not satisfactory?.
I haven't got my contract law textbooks at work, so can't quote exactly.
Re: Garage repairs - Mark (Brazil)
>>Whats your area?

Rio.

Brian - you'd think so.

However, last time I had some work done on a car in the Uk, 10 years or so ago, I seem to recall they made me sign an authorisation for the work.

And I bet, not that I recall, that it said "change widget" not "fix problem".

Trouble is, there is no incentive for them to behave any other way than replacing things on a checklist until the issue goes away. They seem to get paid anyway.

Bring back the mechanics.........................
Re: Garage repairs - BobH
Mark,
Just had a good look at the terms and conditions I sign when placing my VW with the main agent - I think it is in a 4pt font!

It states " repair charges will be based on the labour and material costs involved". It is then full of 'get out of Jail' clauses like "best endeavour".

I suspect if they changed your brake pads to correct a misfire you might have a case, but any work on the engine for the same problem and you wouldn't!

But you are the lawyer!!

BobH
Re: Garage repairs - Mike Harvey
Mark, I could not agree more, in fact it's the reason I went into teaching mechanics because the standard of work was so poor, particularly diagnostics.
I sold a used Cavalier one day which had been on the pitch for weeks.( I had a fairly long spell in sales when I found out how much more they earned than a mechanic) Had to put new plugs in it to get it going for the demo. Sold it and sent the car to workshops for service and preperation. The bill came through to sales a few days later and yes, new plugs fitted. This was a large Vauxhall dealer. The others were only a day old! It's not their money is it, and it infuriated me. I could go on. My advice to anyone using a garage is to be careful what you authorise, and be specific in what you want. You are the customer. If an incorrect diagnosis is made then do not pay. If you are paying £50 to £60 per hour or more you expect expertise and professionalism, and should get it. Trouble is, you may well get an apprentice on the car, and still pay top rate. (Not one of mine I hope!) Get tough. Accept no other than a professional service. Having said that, some problems are a real blighter to find, so I have some sympathy on occasions, but that is part and parcel of the trade. Win some ,lose some.
Regards
Mike
Re: Garage repairs - James
I must be very fortunate to use a small independent garage that used to field their own rally car and whose judgement I trust implicitly. My Audi has just had its MOT, which required a new rear brake caliper (official VAG price £250), handbrake cable, suspension bushes and a new tyre; total cost including labour, the MOT and VAT, £366.