306 stiff gearbox issue - thomp1983
ok posting this for a mate,

right firstly main concern, m reg 1.9td 306 car was fine but has been stood up for 2 weeks while some work was done, the work was back lowered, new track rod end new exhaust, stage one tune so nothin major. since being driven again the gearbox is playing up, basically it takes a good shove to go into gear and crunches when going into reverse, it's like when putting it in gear you push it in, it hits a stiff point push it some more and it pops in. have checked linkages and moved them by hand seem fine, have checked linkage directly under selector seems fine also, put in new gearbox oil until it came out of level plug on side of box(took a litre as didn't drain old stuff), now this improved things for a short while but it's now back to being stiff as a dog again.

i suspect something is up with the clutch or more likely the cable as also when you do put it in gear there is a low pitched grating noise, imagine like you were putting a needle on the flywheel whilst it's turning or a stone grating on a brake disc etc. i suspect the clutch cable needs doing and as such isn't engaging the clutch sufficiently enough to allow the box to slot into gear, another reason for this suspicion is it goes into gears fine with the engine switched off. so can anybody suggest any other possible causes? the biggest problem in my head is that the clutch box etc. have not been touched during any of the work it's just been stood there so why would it suddenly fail?

the other problem is at the rear of the car there is a noise when the suspension is pushed up and down, it sounds like when a spring moves within a suspension strut(obviously not that on a pug but similer sound) the rear axle has just been stripped regreased and put together with new rear subframe bushes, i think it could possibly be the new bush bedding in or maybe a trailing arm bearing has given up the ghost(i know should have done them while it was apart) but again anyone got any ideas? can't see it being to do with the new brake shoes although they may be slightly overadjusted but again that will just scrub off the shoe and go away with time so i don't think it's that

chris
306 stiff gearbox issue - SjB {P}
The clutch auto adjusters are notorious for seizing on 306s due to exhaust proximity.
See the Car by Car Breakdown, if I recall correctly.

Easy to change the cable, though you'll get a few skinned knuckles on the way.
SWMBO's 306 had gearchange symptoms akin to yours that a new cable solved.
About £40 for an OEM part.

306 stiff gearbox issue - thomp1983
thanks very much for confirming my suspicion, just find it strange it was fine before being stood up then went but hey ho thats life i suppose

chris
306 stiff gearbox issue - SjB {P}
My pleasure.

The problem is that the grease in the self adjuster dries out and I can but assume that when this happens, anything other than very regular usage is going to tend to aid siezing. In the case of my wife's 306 Sedan (1995 SR 1.8 8v 5sp for the record) that had just 14k miles on the clock when we purchased it four years ago, like you the problem was most apparent after the car had been standing idle for a few weeks after the previous owner sadly died. With use as a result of us taking ownership of the car, the problem lessened but didn't go away entirely until a new cable was fitted.

Good luck.