power steering - Peter
For your information, some three weeks ago a thread mentioned a Forte Power Steering Enhancer formulation that you need only pour into the reservoir.

The car is a 1989 Volvo 740 at 98K miles, the power steering was very stiff at low speed and non existent on start.

Following advice from Forte, I drained the old fluid out and replenished with new plus the enhancer. There has been an improvement, the car is more responsive but I feel it is only a temporary arrangement until I can afford a new steering rack.

I can recommend it only as a short term pallitive.
Re: power steering - James
"...very stiff at low speed and non existent on start."

Sounds like the pump to me.
Re: power steering - Graham
Sounds like your trying to steer without moving to me.

But you wouldn't be trying that would you!

Reminds me of the thread I've just been looking at on supermarket parking. All those people trying to drive into spaces, pulling desperatly on the steering wheel without moving.
Re: power steering - Peter
On both the Volvo 240 and 740 I have found the power steering very responsive and easy to use whether stationary or otherwise, when the system is failing it stiffens up rather quickly. Yes, it could be the pump but past experience indicates the rack.

The thread was information for those who might want to use the enhancer and unsure whether it was, like most additives, worth the effort. Total cost for new fluid and the enhancer = £20.00. New rack and fitting etc = £225.00 ish. Well worth a try if nothing else.
Re: power steering - Andy Bairsto
PAS steering rack from Swedish auto parts is 121ukps + vat they have branches all over the UK and the mail order no is 020 8917 3855 and their broschure hotline is020 8917 3855 or look them up in Exchange & Mart
Re: power steering - Peter
Thank you for that information

Peter
Re: power steering - Alwyn
Peter,

Take care when you buy a new 740 rack. I had a recon rack fitted and just 18 months later, the rubber gaiters had perished. It cost me £90 to replace them for the MOT.

Cheap rubber, I was told!!!!!!!!!!