Electronic Ignition Fault - 406 90HDi - bgsats
We have had this car, a 1999 Peugeot 406 HD1 Est., 190K miles, since last December, it runs well and has only needed a front spring replacing. Three days ago I went to start it and it turned over normally but wouldn't fire at all. "Electronic Ignition Fault" was on the display.. After spending quite a bit of time looking for bad connections the fault eventually cleared and the car ran normally, but when stopped (turned off), the fault was back. I had it recovered yesterday to the nearest auto electrician about 14 mls. away. The garage doing the recovery were very keen to take it to their own premises, said they had seen several Peugeots with the same fault recently, and it was the fuel pump above the tank every time. They even logged the reported fault as "fuel pump". The auto-electricians found a fault code indicating an imobiliser fault, and suggested possibly a bad connection, faulty key, or the sensor unit which clips rond the lock barrel. While investigating, the fault cleared and wouldn't come back, and I drove it home, stopped the engine, and later started it again without any problem. Today, back to square one! Twice over the last couple of days the display has gone blank. Also a yellow key symbol remains lit until the fault clears. What can I do to avoid main dealer charges?
Electronic Ignition Fault - 406 90HDi - Armitage Shanks {p}
It is your car and I am sure you are describing what you see but how can a diesel car have an "Electronic Ignition Fault" other than the glow plugs? To avoid main dealer charges stick with an independent auto electrician who has the gear to check your car properly. It sounds like French electrics!
I was a bit surprised myself but it's a common rail diesel so the ignition system isn't just a pump and conventional injectors (wish it was!). Already been to an auto electrician who found a fault code indicating an imobiliser fault. He thought it was either the chip in the key (£55 inc VAT for a key, then £35 +VAT to match it to the car), or the sensor unit fitted around the lock barrel, (about £20). His opinion is unbiased, he doesn't sell either. Any ideas much appreciated, thanks in advance!
Has nobody seen this fault before?
Electronic Ignition Fault - 406 90HDi - Quinny100
If the yellow key symbol is showing on the dash, that indicates a communication problem between the key and the receiver around the ignition barrel. Do you only have one key? If not, try the spare for a few days and see if that helps.

I have had to replace the receiver on a Saxo after that had a similar intermittent fault recognising the keys - each time the problem occured the yellow light came on. I have heard of this problem a few times on Pugs and Citroen's.

Fuel tank lift pumps are a common failure on the HDi's and can cause starting problems and cutting out, but the key light on the dash and the findings of the auto sparky seem to indicate immobiliser in your case.
Electronic Ignition Fault - 406 90HDi - john34

Hi all this is an old thred but thought i would reply as it may help others. I had same fault on my 1999 406 HDI pug (190,000 miler), i had just entered a moterway all was running well and then engine just died and on centre consol had "electronic ignition fault" along with a yellow key sybol by spedo found the problem the next day, a 30amp fuse had blown under the bonnet and as for the reason i think it may well be water getting in the drivers footwell as i have herd there are wires there that if get wet can short an make many probs, footwell is damp and i tend to get probs in the winter like central locking last winter not working and all doors staying unlocked which i also red can be due to damp drivers floor. This summer when the wethers better i shall pull up the carpet and insulate the wires and check for where the water is getting in.

Edited by john34 on 24/02/2013 at 18:18