Volkswagon Fox second hand - Greg R
Hi

I am looking to buy the VW Fox second hand. I am especially interested in the 1 litre engine.

Would anyone in the know be able to anticipate when these cars are going to crop up on the market second hand, and the price to expect to pay for them.

Many thanks in advance as always!

Gregory
Volkwagon Fox second hand - bell boy
With them having no factory immobilisor fitted they tend to get stolen and the thieves dont care what pre nicked condition they are in so minters get stolen and are then collected by salvage companies and they then go to salvage yards needing a lock set .
A car like this in pre stolen excelant condition would attain a figure of £125 at a salvage yard like simpsons salvage of york.
Bare in mind they will be categorised as on v-car cat d.
A s/h lock set £40 and a bit of work and you might have a 20,000 minter all done for £200.

Either that or they get sent to the scrapyard as uneconomic to repair by either the owners or the place they p/x them at because they will need plenty for the mot.
Volkwagon Fox second hand - local yokel
VW UK are only selling 1.2 and 1.4 engined cars, as far as I can tell.

Since the vast majority will be privately bought I'd expect the s/h market to be slow to get going for the Fox - people won't change these out all that fast.Your best chance will be will be demonstrator/courtesy cars ex the dealers.
oooooops................
well i thought you meant a "y" reg fox first time round........
only official imports are.........
1.2 3dr
1.2urban fox 3dr
1.4 3 dr
1.4 urban fox 3dr

Volkwagon Fox second hand - aahbarnes
oooooops................
well i thought you meant a "y" reg fox first time
round........

Which one was that?
Which one was that?

the polo fox.........you are probably too young to remember them with the roof bars and snazzy interiors ;-)
Volkwagon Fox second hand - mss1tw
Were they the ones with cutouts for your feet in the floor? :^D
no but they were the ones with dodgy fuel pumps and horrible carbs/terrible brakes ;-)
Either that or they get sent to the scrapyard as uneconomic
to repair by either the owners or the place they p/x
them at because they will need plenty for the mot.

Are you sure you are talking about the right car here? You'd never get a sub 1 year old car needing new locks for 125quid!
There are only 2 on autotrader, both at 8K.
Volkwagon Fox second hand - local yokel
There's 31 on AT, cheapest is 5995 for an 06 5k 1.2

aahbarnes - select "national" on miles from you!
There's 31 on AT, cheapest is 5995 for an 06 5k
aahbarnes - select "national" on miles from you!

Ah yes, thanks!
Volkwagon Fox second hand - P3t3r
I can't see why you would want to rush out and get Fox. Wouldn't a different car be better? I'm sure the Polo would be much better, even if it has a few more miles on it than you wanted, and there are a lot more of them available. Out of curiousity what is it you like about the car? I can't see anything good about the car, but I've never seen them in the flesh.
Volkwagon Fox second hand - P3t3r
Visibility problem with the Fox might upset some folks. Get into
one then try to look three quarters right.
HJ

I was supprised by the lack of visibility when I test drove a Toyota Aygo. Overtaking required more care, but the worst thing was when trying to park (reversing in). It felt like parking with my eyes shut, and I've never found a car so hard to park (I haven't driven a huge number of cars). It really makes me wonder what these manufactures are thinking, one of the reasons for buying a 'city car' is the fact that they should be easy to park. If a child (or adult) is to walk near an Aygo when it is reversing I suspect that most drivers would not see it, which is quite worrying for a car that is likely to spend a lot of time at the supermarket etc. On the whole I found the Aygo drive quite stressful :(
Volkwagon Fox second hand - Greg R
Thanks everyone for your replies...most helpful.

The reason a friend wants to buy it is because it looks nice and it is a VW.

I did inform her of the reliability issues, and as she has never had a car, I warned her it is not a nice thing when they break. Most stressful thing in my life anyway, as the hassle is annoying. No two ways about it...of course all cars break, but there are two types of break. 1. wear and tear...maybe high mileage, and 2. breaking at low mileage.

Anyway, as long as I stress this and safety when driving, that is all I can do.

I recommended the Yaris to her anyway, as they are much better in my opinion.

But the problem of being young: we love good looking things, and this can difform our views of the heart of the item.

Well, end of my rambling.
But I do enjoy driving, just take it a little seriously sometimes.

Greg