Oil leak on 1993 Peugeot 306 1.9 TDi - Mair
I have a long term oil leak on my car. It isn't huge, just a few drips each time on standing, but enough to make a mess on the drive.
The leak is on the rear face of the engine and appears to be below head gasket level. Because of the sloping installation of the engine, it's impossible to see, from above, where the leak might be. I'm hoping that someone can give me some guidance before I get out my spanners and dismantle everything in sight - or, rather, not in sight, on that side of the engine!
Thanks in advance.
Oil leak on 1993 Peugeot 306 1.9 TDi - defender
taking a picture with a digital camera will let you see the bits you cant get in to look at and easier than using a mirror
I will try this. Thanks Mair
Oil leak on 1993 Peugeot 306 1.9 TDi - RichardW
Most likely cause of an oil leak down the back of an XUD engine is the head gasket. I'd ignore it till it gets really bad. You don't want to go ripping the head of one of these for fun!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Oil leak on 1993 Peugeot 306 1.9 TDi - GregSwain
Those XUD engines usually have a couple of oil-leaks - as long as it's a small leak it won't affect anything. My sister has a 205 diesel with 3 or 4 oil-leaks, and it's run like that for months, the only problem being dropped oil. Probably won't even lose enough oil to bother topping up between oil-changes if you change it every 6 months.
Oil leak on 1993 Peugeot 306 1.9 TDi - Martin1981
My old 309 1.9D had a small oil leak on the left hand side of the engine which was believed to be a worn camshaft seal and only used about 1/2 litre of oil between 5k oil changes. I ran the car for 27k with the leak and when I got rid at 150k it hadn't got any worse and the engine ran as sweet as a nut. Wouldn't worry too much at present if I were you.

Martin

Oil leak on 1993 Peugeot 306 1.9 TDi - megrandad
every one says head gasket.quite possible however most common problem of this model is exhauster pump seals leaking and oil running around rear of headgasket lip only about 2quid to fix keep me informed[megrandad]
Thank you all for your replies and advice. I have followed these up and now need to pressure wash the engine again and place on ramp to look at exhaust area. This sounds the most logical to date and would be cheap to fix. Yes, if it were head gasket I would leave it as the car has done 156K and runs sweetly, and I do not have to top with oil.
I don't have a Hanyes Manual - Megrandad, can you supply a little more detail please?
Thanks, Mair
Oil leak on 1993 Peugeot 306 1.9 TDi - mss1tw
Exhaust pump seals???
I have managed to solve part of the problem. A part was not refitted properly by a garage!. The remainder of the leak is the head gasket, but will live with it and sort protection for a 'drip area' on the drive.
Thank you all for your contributions and help.
Mair