306 hdi 2001 - scfc_151
just bought a lovely new 306 hdi estate on a Y plate. Im planning on playing with it over the weekend

Ive noticed one or tow things i want to do on it because its gona be perfect when ive finished.

I noticed the clutch is really stiff and when nearing the bottom of its travel theres some 'give' in it. is there anything i can try here?

There also a high pitch squeeling sound from the front end. Very occasionally though. sounds like its comming from the passenger side front. It sounds like a belt or something but i was wondering if these things rang a bell to any HDI owners.

Its only niggles that im planning on sorting next week but just thought id post this for any tips etc

The 1 st job is a new cambelt and full service and re charge the aircon. Im very impressed so far tho. Very smooth and quite quick

Cheers
306 hdi 2001 - Quinny
I have a 99 406 HDi,and it goes like brown stuff off a shovel for a big car,and I don't have any of the problems that you mention.

All I know is,that when the time comes for it to go,another will take it's place.
306 hdi 2001 - Xileno {P}
Worth a read:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=25098&...e
306 hdi 2001 - Railroad.
Hmmm, clutch stiff? High pitch squeal from the front passenger side? Sounds like clutch release bearing's seized and is imposing itself on the pressure plate.

I'd consider having a new clutch fitted, before it gets towed in.....
306 hdi 2001 - RichardW
Yep, sounds like it needs a new clutch to me. You could try changing the cable first - they are auto adjust and go heavy and don't work well at age. However, do this BEFORE you do anything with the A/C as you will need to disconnect the A/C pipes where they go into the bulkhead in order to get enough room to get the clutch cable out. Changing the clutch is 'interesting', to say the least.....

The A/C will probably need a new pipe along the bottom of the rad, and possibly a new condenser - fitting of which will involve removing the radiator, which is also 'interesting' (and may well also be rotting out).

The HDi is a bit of a shoe horn job under a 306 bonnet, but pretty good when it's up together.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
306 hdi 2001 - Ben79
Yep, sounds like it needs a new clutch to me.
You could try changing the cable first -

Do they have cables? I thought the 2.0 HDI all had hydraulic clutches.
306 hdi 2001 - RichardW
I think the HDi 90s had cables - at least the early ones anyway. My mate's 2000W certainly does - I've still got the scars from changing it (and the clutch).
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....