97 Passat airbag light - Ritz-dog
The airbag light is on on my instrument panel. Took it to Main Dealer and they wanted £800 for a new wiring loom and labor on top of that to install it. I have just repaired my boot central locking by renewing the wires that run underneath the LH boot strut which had perished cos the strut pushes on them when the boot is opened and closed.
I am hoping that this airbag issue is similar i.e. a loose connection or a broken wire. Does anyone have any hints on where to check first, I'll have to strip the interior down if not but if anyone does know or any 'weak spots' they could tell it would be most appreciated
As always, thanks in advance
97 Passat airbag light - adverse camber
most common pronblem is the under seat wiring - error code about seat side airbag igniter resistance too high.

careful you dont set anything off playing with it.
97 Passat airbag light - PeterRed
The first step in diagnosis is to view the error code. Get a copy of VAG-COM (free download) and a cable (about £25) or find someone who has one. If messing around with airbags or associated wiring, make sure the battery is disconnected first.......
The first step in diagnosis is to view the error code.
Get a copy of VAG-COM (free download) and a cable (about
£25) or find someone who has one. If messing around with
airbags or associated wiring, make sure the battery is disconnected first.......

I will be careful I can assure you. Just purchased one of the cables and will be testing today. Thanks for your help
D
Sorry it took so long, here are the error codes direct from VAG

Address 15: Airbags
Part No: 8L0 959 655 A
Component: Airbag VW 3-S 0304
Coding: 00065
Shop #: WSC 05311

2 Faults Found:
01218 - Side Airbag Igniter; Passenger Side (N200)
32-10 - Resistance too High - Intermittent
00588 - Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N95)
32-10 - Resistance too High - Intermittent
97 Passat airbag light - rtj70
I had a 2000 year (W reg) Passat that had a problem with the wiring of the airbags. Mine was under warranty though. Error code was related to resistance but I don't know the actual code.

Initially they swapped the o-ring in the steering wheel but that fix lasted all of 20 minutes. Took it to another VW dealer after that.

Second garage claimed part of the wiring loom connecting to the actual airbag had a loose clip. Replaced it.. and the light came back on before I could get out of the car park this time.

They wanted to now strip my car down inside to find faulty part of wiring loom. This they did and basically let one of their mechanics use the car to see if he could find fault, since it was intermittent. No error/fault appeared again. So the mechanic said another Passat built around the same time had the same problem and that it was a wire under the front passenger carpet. In that case just moving the wire would trigger the fault every time. He bypassed that part of the wiring loom and that seemed to fix it.

Because my fault had not appeared for a while he got permission to try the exact same fix on my car, i.e. bypass the same bit of the same wire. Fault never reappeared whilst I had the car, albeit for about another 9 months.

Good luck.
97 Passat airbag light - Alec
There is a common problem on the older Passats with the splices in the loom near the CCM in the passenger footwell.
They are reported to disintegrate even if there is no water ingress problem.
Probably worth a look.