Roof Boxes - type's'
Just come back from a fantastic weeks holiday in Dorset. My first visit and I can recommend it.
This country has some fantatsic coast line and beaches (Studland Bay in particular)
Problem was all the stuff I rammed into the Accord (I knew I should have had the estate).
I am considering a roof box and will probably buy a Kamei box with Altea bars.

The question is do roof boxes effect stability of the car at motorway speeds ?
Can anyone that uses them please let me know.
Roof Boxes - the_bandit
I use a Thule X1 on my Galaxy.

From my experience, I don't even notice it's on whether driving around town or pushing 70mph on the motorway.

Roof Boxes - Morgie
Just come back from a fantastic weeks holiday in Dorset.

As a Dorset resident I'm delighted you enjoyed your visit to my part of the world.
My wife and I holidayed in the Lake District for a week back in June using a roof box on my Rover 45 turbo diesel. It did nearly 1000 miles and still got 45 -50 mpg. Didn't notice any affect on the motorway travelling at the speed limit. I even left in on all week whilst up there, too much of a fag to take it off. Have a look on E-bay for them; I got my Karrite for £40 from a chap in just down the road from me in Poole.
Roof Boxes - Chips with everything
The only effect I've noticed is during a cross wind, best to keep the weight as low as possible - ie. out of the roofbox.

Other than that, a loss of 2-3 mpg from our vectra 2.2 estate.

HTH.
Roof Boxes - gsb
Clearly some are more aerodynamic than others. I have a fairly long/wide ski box which is not very high but can hold an amazing amount together with ski equipment. If you use soft bags you can fill all the space. I would not be surprised if most people wish they had bought a larger box than they did. ( As long as future storage is not a problem ). Also think of the total height on car if you are ever likely to encounter any height restrictions in your travels.
I have never really checked but I also would think about 2-3 mpg on our 406 estate.
Buy a good quality box with strong bars and it should last a lifetime.
Roof Boxes - boxsterboy
Put the lightweight bulky stuff in the roof box, and keep ther heavy stuff low down in th car boot.

We've got a 480l Thule box, opens both sides. Can hardly hear it on the (German) motorway at 85-ish. Can only feel it during gales. Highly recommended.
Roof Boxes - type's'
Many thanks people - I will proceed with the advice above.
Morgie - you live in a fantastic part of the world.
Roof Boxes - cheddar
Been camping for a few days, got the roof box out of the garage rafters last week, found the roof bars and all fixings though could I find the key for the roof box? No! Cost me nearly 30 quid for Thule to courier a key (plus a spare!) to me for Sat am.

Lesson learned!
Roof Boxes - Nsar
Just bought a Thule. The keys came in a plastic bag with adhesive on the outside and I've stuck the spare in a compartment in the boot. Might be worth doing.
Roof Boxes - cheddar
I have just put the roof box away, one key is staying on may car key ring and the other is in the box with the roof bars.

Ask Honest John

Value my car