Ford Focus keys - Dry bearings
Hi I have just bought a Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec 2002.It's being Mot.Serviced and 2 new tyres fitted to be collected Monday.How many keys should I recieve with it?In the past I have had to pay £100 for a spare key from the local Ford dealer.I don't fancy doing that again.Would appreciate anyone's advice please.
Ford Focus keys - Adam {P}
You should get one remote and one "normal" one with a blue chip in.

You might get ones with tabs on but I'm not sure about that. IN any event, you only need two (the remote and normal one) to reprogram your own key so instead of a new one costing 100 quid, it will cost nearer to 40.
Thanks for that Adam.Makes life a bit easier.I didn't want to ask for something that didn't exist.
Don't worry about it. Apparently Ford are quite stingy at not giving you more than one remote when others do but having only ever owned Fords, I wouldn't know!

Like I said - I have a feeling the tabbed keys would come with a facelifted Focus but I have an older one. You don't need them anyway really.
Ford Focus keys - jc2
A lot of Fords come with two remotes.
Really? Which ones?
Ford Focus keys - psi
my '99 focus came with one remote and the blue spare
It was just a precautionary thing really Adam.I have a Red key in the drawer at home from a previous Mondeo,only useful to the current owner,whoever he might be.£100 wasted,As you say don't really need them.It was just a belt and braces idea .
Ford Focus keys - focusman
when i bought my focus i got one remote and one standard key. bought new remote from fords about £45 for remote, key blank and cutting. programmed remote myself, plenty of onfo in owners manual and online. 'warning' don't wait till you lose your remote, you need one remote already programmed to program the new remote otherwise it is a dealer job over £100 for them to do.
you could also try ebay, but you don't know history of remote, how old or condition and some of them nearly reach dealer costs.
Yes,I think buying a blank key,and re-programming myself is the way to go.Thanks for that.
Ford Focus keys - LeePower
Thats exactly what I got my parents to do when they bought there 54 plate Mondeo.

£10 for a blue spot standard key cut at Ford ( Thanks to a mate who works there ) instead of the £31 to the normal joe public.

It then took me less then a minute to code it to the car.

They now have 3 coded keys & no need for a major expensive bill if one gets lost or stolen.
Ah!.The 'Friends in high places' syndrome.You can't whack it.
Ford Focus keys - ndbw
I made a second remote key part of the deal when I bought my last new car so have the non remote as a last ditch back up.

ndbw
Ford Focus keys - jc2
Two remotes usually come with the higher levels of trim.
That's what I'd assumed but mine never - neither did our neighbour's Mondeo Ghia X!

Sounds like you can ask for them as part of the deal though.
Ford Focus keys - Dynamic Dave
Two remotes usually come with the higher levels of trim.
Sounds like you can ask for them as part of the deal though.

Or get a Vauxhall, and you'll get two remote fobs as standard, regardless of what trim level you have.
But then you'd have to put up with an interior that looked about as interesting as a fence.
Ford Focus keys - DP
The Mondeo only came with one key (black non-remote with a red chip) meaning not only am I stuffed if I lose it, but I am unable to program an additional key on the car.

I really need to get a spare, but I am currently baulking at the idea of an hour's "labour" at a Ford dealer to program the new one (about £65 when I last looked), plus the cost of the key itself.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get Ford keys programmed outside the dealer network, and if so which companies can do it?

Cheers
DP
I have just been in touch with the used car dealer.He can supply a spare key,cost ed to me @ £100 via local Ford dealers. Told him not to bother.Whilst it may be possible to negotiate one with a new car,second hand is a bit trickier,in my opinion.As ndbw suggests,get one for £45 and programme it myself.Eventually.Thanks for all the comments and advice,it was interesting.
Sorry,I was referring to 'mondyman's comment,not 'ndbw'.
Ford Focus keys - bell boy
i could get this key cloned at my local shoe repair man for £20 all in,be aware that some places that run a franchise system will try and take you for £46 (i stopped recommending them over a year ago after getting an unsatisfactory email to my request about bad service) you need an independant .....
Ford Focus keys - DP
There's a shoe repair/key place near here. Will go and ask.

Never bothered to even ask before as I assumed they wouldn't get involved with the chip type keys.

Cheers again oldman! I would rather give even £46 to a small local trader than £100+ to a Ford dealer.

DP
Ford Focus keys - Waino
The idea of negotiating a spare key in with the deal is an excellent idea and well worth remembering; during the buying process it tends not to be exactly 'top of mind'.

Some weeks after SWMBO bought her 18mth old Focus from a dealer, we realised that another spare key would be handy - but it was too late for inclusion in the deal. The cost for the new blank (not remote) was 14.63; cut and programme was 8.40, making the total, with vat £27.06. I don't know if this is the norm for a non-remote key, or if they were being reasonable because we'd just bought a car off them. This was 2 years ago.

I guess it doesn't help with all the different types of key and systems of locking, immobilising etc. even from the same manufacturer.

I presume that 's the key that gets you into the car but won't start it.Is that correct?Where did you buy the key,and who cut and programmed it?
All non tabbed keys (i.e. Proper key with a chip) should start the car. The chip is the immobiliser thingy.
Ah,Right!.I think I'll have a better understanding of all this when the keys are to hand on Monday.
Ford Focus keys - jc2
Several of my Fords have come with two remote keys and no other;are people saying that the dealer has thrown in an extra remote out of the kindness of his heart and has kept one of my keys?
Have they been brand new? If I were to sell my car now the owner woudl get 2 remotes but only because I bought one myself.
Ford Focus keys - Waino
The car is a 52 reg Focus Zetec (Chic) and came with a remote key and the plain key with a blue chip (from other posts, I believe this is what is normally provided). Apparently one key can be used to programme another (?) and so, having the fear of losing a key (with programme), we decided to have another spare as an insurance. I understand that things get expensive when you don't have a 'master' key with the programme.

To be honest, I don't think we'd ever tested it (stupid, I know) so I just went outside to try it. It is identical to the blue chipped one provided with the car and locks, immobilises and starts the car just the same.

Ford Focus keys - AndyT
After reading this thread, I went to eBay and bought a 'nearly new' 3-button remote key for my focus, to have as a 3rd spare key.

About £27 delivered, including free cutting if you have the T code off the little plastic tag.

The same seller (keymanuk99) is also selling non-remote immobiliser keys for just under £9 inc free cutting... Not bad. I'll probably get one for 'her' Ka.

Just to say I have no connection with this seller, other than having bought a key, which hopefully I'll get soon!
Ford Focus keys - henry k
About £27 delivered, including free cutting if you have the T
code off the little plastic tag.

I do not have the T code or a plastic tag for either my Mondeo or the Focus.

How do I get one ?
I think you have to go to a Ford dealer with proof of ownership etc,in order for them to release the info.Someone else will know.No doubt that would cost.Back to square one it seems
Ford Focus keys - Waino
AFAIR, the Ford chap just looked at the angles at which the facets were cut on the key and was able to tell me what the number was for the key. I can't remember if it was for the Focus or the Mondeo, bit I think the principle's the same for all of them.

Ford Focus keys - DP
Any competent dealer parts department will be able to "read" the key number from the key. I used to be able to do it, but I've long since forgotten.

Each cut on the key is one of only four (I think) standard depths. You simply read the depths of each cut in order and there is your key number.

That said, it's been 10 years since I last did this, so I might be talking pants!!

Cheers
DP
Ford keys have 6 digit code numbers for the cut, Pretty easy to read with a little practice.

A Ford parts guy should be able to read it just by looking at it.
Ford Focus keys - kithmo
That's what I'd assumed but mine never - neither did our
neighbour's Mondeo Ghia X!
Sounds like you can ask for them as part of the
deal though.

My 55 reg Mondeo Zetec TDCi came with 2 Remote keys and no blue chip one.
Ford Focus keys - rtj70
My Ghia Mondeo (albeit not the Ghia X trim) had said remote and the key with the blue "chip".
Parents 54 plate Mondeo 1.8 Zetec came with 2 remote keys too.

Weird - I wonder if it's an age thing then. Neighbour's car is a 2003. Not bought from new either - maybe the second remote went missing.
Ford Focus keys - bazza
Weird - I wonder if it's an age thing then. Neighbour's
car is a 2003. Not bought from new either - maybe
the second remote went missing.

Don't think so, recently bought an 05 reg 1.6 LX with one "proper" remote key plus one poverty-spec key. By the way I find this car intolerably noisy, anyone else find that with their focus?
Baz
Some people found the old Focus really bad for road noise but it's never bothered me - mind you - not got much to compare it to. Changing the tyres seems to help in a lot of cases though.
Ford Focus keys - Simon
My '54 reg Focus ST170 came new with one remote key and one basic blue chip key.
Ford Focus keys - bazza
It's the noisiest car I've had in recent years, teach me to go for longer test drives in future! Handling, grip, steering, comfort all great but the road noise ruins it for me, it's running on Bridgestones, i wonder if they're particularly noisy? I doubt I'll be keeping it as long as my old Megane!
Ford Focus keys - L'escargot
<< By the
way I find this car intolerably noisy, anyone else find that
with their focus?

Only with poverty spec LXs. You should have got a Ghia.
--
L\'escargot.
I think it could be part of the car's history.Many people buy spares,then when they hand them in they just pass on 2 keys to suffice.Weird alright.