Bought car on ebay, deposit via paypal - boxer99
Hi,

This is a question from a work colleague of mine.
Two weeks ago he bought a car on ebay and the seller requested that a deposit of £250 is paid via paypal immediately at auction end. The rest was to be paid in cash on collection
The guy paid this £250 deposit and went to collect the car two days later travelling about 180 miles to collect it. He got there and it was dark (about 11pm). The seller would not let him test drive the car until the deal was done...ie all the money handed over.
The money was paid and the car driven home. On arriving home the next daya few faults were discovered which were not mentioned in the ad :

Dent on boot lid
Stereo not working
Engine Cover missing.
Cap on power steeringf fluid bottle missing.
Marks on front edges of bumpers.
Generally the car was not running too smoothly (its an Auto by the way)

Now generally the guy feels hes been had
Question is is there any way he can recover his deposit on paypal or get some refund as the above faults were not disclosed in the ad.
Bought car on ebay, deposit via paypal - Sprice
Usually on ebay, if youre the winning bidder, you're not entitled to a test drive, as you bid to buy not tyre kick etc etc. as most ads state.

You can check the cars before the auction ends, and ask questions, request more photos if the ones displayed are not adequate, but unfortunately, theres not much your friend can do apart from contact the seller and have it out with him.
Bought car on ebay, deposit via paypal - Armitage Shanks {p}
Anybody who buys a car, anywhere, in the dark ,is a loser in more ways than one!
After that rather harsh reply I can add that both E bay and PayPal (who are now effectively one company, PayPal having been bought by E Bay) have dispute resolution systems. SFAIK PayPal deal with missing payments and non-payments and e Bay deal with misrepresentation of goods, misdecriptions etc. This must be the way forward, I suggest.
Bought car on ebay, deposit via paypal - lordwoody
These are eBays own forums for discussing such problems
forums.ebay.co.uk/forum.jspa?forumID=7
I believe you can reclaim a PayPal payment if the transaction is suspect, but there is always the onus on a buyer to take necessary steps to protect themselves.
Bought car on ebay, deposit via paypal - local yokel
Bear in mind that some of this was brought on the buyer who bid on a car he had not inspected or test driven, and then went to collect it in the dark.

The seller appears to have mis-described the car, but the buyer had the chance to check the description twice, before the sale and on collection, and did not do so. Knowing he was collecting at 11.00 pm he could have taken a powerfull torch and checked the car over with that to help him.
Bought car on ebay, deposit via paypal - massey
It seems like your friend just does not want the car, after bidding and paying a deposit.

Dents, marks on bumbers and stereo not working etc. and other minor faults would not merit rejecting the car.

He should save himself the hassle of trying to claim of Paypal and let it be one of life's experiences.

"It seems like your friend just does not want the car, after bidding and paying a deposit."

And he has paid the balance - the car is his so far as I can see! As others have pointed out, he has had the opportunity to inspect the car and hasn't done so. He can post negative feedback but the seller will dispute it so there is no way forward.
Bought car on ebay, deposit via paypal - pmh
Post a link to the advert so we can all see what it is he has bought.

Advice will depend on if it is a £10k year old "as new" car or a £500 shed.

I have little sympathy, he has had an opportunity to inspect and not taken it! Whilst he may not have been able to test drive it, there is no (or every) reason why the seller could have taken him for a ride!
--

pmh (was peter)

Bought car on ebay, deposit via paypal - massey
My experience is that if a buyer decides he doesn't want a car after buying and paying for it he looks for faults to get his money back.

This does not work on ebay for obvious reasons
Bought car on ebay, deposit via paypal - Collos25
May I suggest before he registers it he puts it back on Ebay.
Bought car on ebay, deposit via paypal - boxer99
well i think thats probably the case
Bought car on ebay, deposit via paypal - Dalglish

>>

now that would be really useful.

boxer99 does ask some classic and consistently very good questions in his posts (reminds me of another audi owner on here from ages ago). although i cannot add anything, i do find the replies constructive and helpful.

Bought car on ebay, deposit via paypal - adverse camber
Not the A80 quattro tdi by any chance ?
Bought car on ebay, deposit via paypal - bell boy
oldmans bit.........
its an auction ........tough.......come to my local car auction tonught and try and get your money back after purchase cos the radios lost a NOB...
caveat clumpa......
Bought car on ebay, deposit via paypal - pd
As oldman correctly says: you pays your money and takes your choice. If he wanted a 100% prepared car he should have gone to a dealer and paid full retail price. You get what you pay for with used cars and if you buy cheap from auctions or ebay you have to (a) know what you're doing and (b) accept something has to give somewhere. To make things worse he broke just about every rule in the book about buying a used car (viewing at night, no agreed test drive in advance, not inspecting it properly etc.).

Having said that, most of the things listed look pretty minor and are hardly a deal breaker. If it was an oldish car at a cheap price then he's probably still got a good deal.

Advice will depend on if it is a £10k year old "as new" car or a £500 shed

>>

still waiting for boxer99 to respond to pmh.

we don't know quite a few details yet: car details, make, year, model, how much, when bought, where seen, etc.

Bought car on ebay, deposit via paypal - Adam {P}
Deja Vu.
Bought car on ebay, deposit via paypal - No FM2R
Deja Vu.

What again ?
You'd think I'd have got used to it by now wouldn't you?
>> Deja Vu. >> What again ?

that was no-dosh's favourite line. where has $till-$kint gone?

He got his internet cut off for not paying the bill.
Bought car on ebay, deposit via paypal - Thommo
Two stages to this .

If the car isn't as described on Ebay the the buyer has the right to reject the transaction. Ebay is red hot on this and the faults mentioned would IMHO have been enough to reject the car as they were not described in the advert (I assume). Paypal always sides with the payer and refunds immediately leaving the payee with the burden of proof. For this reason (plus the charges) some Ebayers will not accept Paypal payments. So your mate could have viewed the car, rejected it and then reclaimed the deposit from Paypal leaving the seller to argue otherwise.

He did not do this he accepted the car and paid the balance in full. That he did not inspect the car is his word against the sellers. If I was the seller I would argue he saw it paid in full and left happy. He could still potentially raise a dispute and reclaim the deposit from Paypal but given all the circumstances I think he would lose the dispute in the end as the facts all point the other way. Paid deposit, saw car, paid in full drove away.

Swallow hard and learn the lesson time I think.
Bought car on ebay, deposit via paypal - hm
I have not read all the replies to your question but...

If the car is significantly not as describes you can report it to ebay and paypal, they will investigate.....The seller is 100% responsible for the listing of the car....

However, your mate should have been more careful....
I think the man is up the creek. Apart from picking up late at night without inpecting it, he wasn't pleased with what he had bought but it was 2 weeks before the matter was even raised here, never mind with e bay and PayPal, according Post 1 of this thread. Seller could claim that this damage has occurred in those 2 weeks and deny all responsibility, and probably will if push comes to shove! As we have been given no sight of the link to the auction we can only go on the info we have which is, roughly.

1. Paid a deposit thru PayPal
2. Went to seller, didn't inspect and paid balance in cash.
3. Didn't like what he bought and waited 2 weeks to do anything about it.
4. No chance of any come back IMHO!
Bought car on ebay, deposit via paypal - Sprice
The inspecting at night issue is irrelevant. If you are the winning bidder, you have bid to buy, not the right at first refusal. Of course, depending on whether the seller is closeor not, you can go and look before the auction ends.

I travelled to Scotland from South Wales to collect a Toyota Starlet, it was fine apart from the fact it was an ex driving school car which I realised straight away...if Id inspected beforehand I'd have walked. As it happened, I made £150 profit!
I beg to differ! The inspecting at night issue is very relevant. The buyer chose to go and collect the car at a time when a worthwhile inspection would be difficult or impossible. The buyer did not tell him he to come at 11pm, presumably? Faults that he would have picked up in daylight were missed because of the circumstances he placed himself in and , having accepted the car and paid cash for it ,he has no come back. If there were faults mentioned in the e bay listing (which we havent seen yet) it is presumed that he accepted them. If they were NOT mentioned then he should have inspected the car properly before driving it away and the fact that, for whatever reason he did not, and has then waited 2 weeks to even raise the matter of the faults, leaves him in a hopeless position. Seller will just claim that the faults have arisen since the buyer accepted the car and took it away.
Bought car on ebay, deposit via paypal - Group B
The inspecting at night issue is irrelevant. If you are the
winning bidder, you have bid to buy, not the right at
first refusal.

I agree up to a point, but a winning ebay bidder should have the opportunity to check that the item meets the description. The description is the all important factor, and if its honest and accurate, the buyer should not have any reason to quibble. If there are any glaring differences or deliberate omissions (I mean major things which could affect the value), the buyer should have the right to reject the item.
Having said that boxer99's colleague has been pretty naieve the way he's gone about this, and its difficult to comment without seeing the car or the ebay listing. And regardless of the theory behind ebay, if your spending more than a few hundred quid, you're best being a bit more careful.

I bought some alloys on ebay which were described as "in excellent condition", but when I got there to pick them up, 2 of them had quite extensive kerbing which had not been visible in the photos. I explained to the seller that IMO they did not match the description, and he knocked off £80, which I was happy with. His excuse was, "Well I didnt think they would fetch this much."

I once bought an old Saab 9000 as a temporary runabout. When I went to look at it, the ABS wasnt working, and that had not been mentioned in the listing. ABS not working is an MoT failure point, not necessarily a minor thing, and IMO should have been mentioned.
So that was 2 instances of people treating ebay like an autotrader private sale, not being fully honest with the description and seeing what they can get away with.

;o)
Bought car on ebay, deposit via paypal - George Porge
Ebay is full of sharks and rogues.

I would'nt bid on anything of value unless I was able to collect in person and pay fully in cash.

If I saw the deposit was to be payed in paypal I'd either email the seller to ask if the full amount of cash on collection was ok or find a similar item that meets my criteria.

Ebay is basically a blind auction, photo's do lie, if the item was not as discribed I'd walk away, feedback or no feedback. And yes I've sold stuff on there and been messed about with non payers, but timewasters are everywhere.
--
FAO Oldman, Come back to the darkside ;-)
Bought car on ebay, deposit via paypal - machika
Whatever the method of selling, I would never agree to pay a deposit without seeing the car, never mind driving it. I would be prepared to lose a car to another seller, rather than pay a deposit in advance of an inspection.

Bought car on ebay, deposit via paypal - machika
As for collecting it in the dark............
Bought car on ebay, deposit via paypal - glowplug
I bought my Xantia from Ebay. The winning bidder had to pay a deposit within 2 days of winning the auction and collect and pay within 7 days. The car was exactly as described, scratched/scuffed bumpers etc. I travelled about 160 miles to collect it. I went within the 2 days deposit time with the cash. As far as I was concerned unless it was significantly different to the description I'd agreed to buy it without seeing it in the flesh and untested. That said the owner did let me test drive it. I've since spent about £300 servicing it myself but the car's hard to come by and was about £1800 cheaper than I could get one from a dealers.

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi.

Buy a Citroen and get to know the local GSF staff better...
.. Not the A80 quattro tdi by any chance ? ..

mark99 - i don't know about that, but boxer99 says: " ..... my dads Audi a6 2.5tdi quattro ..... .. it feels really thick and padded...or is it just me! ...."
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=43382&...f

it would be nice to read the outcome of all the problems/tips/advice boxer99 has asked for.

even better, boxer99, why not post photos of your red audi and your fil's rover825. the place to post them is

groups.msn.com/honestjohn/shoebox.msnw

come on, let us see how your laser red audi's roof is faded.

Bought car on ebay, deposit via paypal - adverse camber
Dalglish

there was a poster who appeared and had various slightly odd questions, a bit like b99.

Lots of Q about an A80quattro tdi - try finding one...
This chap has made 53 posts, few of them with less than 3 questions, little thanks and no feed-back. Waste of space and our time IMHO. Half the stuff he asks he could buy a book or go to the library! I think we should be told how the Rover is running - perhaps the silence says it all!
Bought car on ebay, deposit via paypal - Dynamic Dave
Waste of space and our time IMHO.

Which is one of the many reasons why I disabled his previous account.

DD.