2 policies 1 car ? - R75
I am sure I have read a similar thread recently, but for the life of me I can't find it...so I will pose this question again.

SWMBO sister wants to borrow our 2nd car for a week or so, I don't really have a problem with this but don't want her to drive on our insurance as she has not got the best record!!!! I have said she can use it as long as she gets her own insurance for it, she reckons you can't have 2 policies on one car, and our insurance company seen to agree with that!! I am sure that the previous thread about this it was said that there is nothing to stop 2 policies on one car but obviously you would only be able to claim from one if there was a problem.

So can the BR's please clarify for me, Thanks.
2 policies 1 car ? - Peter D
She can raise insurance via her company for your car and registration number, it will not be cheap but not your problem. If there is an incident it is not your problem. Only was forward. Regards Peter
2 policies 1 car ? - Peter D
It may be cheaper for her to hire a car with insurance from a local hire company like Arnold Clark or whom ever. Regards Peter
2 policies 1 car ? - George Porge
Get sis in law to insure the car and freeze your policy
--
2 Dirty VW diesels and a Honda with an 18 inch blade
2 policies 1 car ? - Stuartli
You cannot have two insurance policies for one vehicle, or house, or whatever.

What is required is for you to temporarily add her name to your insurance - I'm sure she will pay the comparatively small cost.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
2 policies 1 car ? - Dalglish
.. similar thread recently, but for the life of me I can't find it...so I will pose this question again. ..

>>

easy. use the "forum" serach on right. search for "two insurance policies" :
either 1. subject or 2. message body

brings up
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=42462&...f

2 policies 1 car ? - R75
Thank you Dalglish, that was the thread I was looking for, but obvioulsy put in the wrong search criteria!!!!!
2 policies 1 car ? - R75
I think you can have 2 policies on one car, but obviously can claim on only one - Now why would I want to put someone who does not have the best claims history in the world on our policy? If she did have an accident it is our policy that will go up next year even if she does pay for the difference she will not pay it over the next 3 years which is how long we will have to declare it for, let alone how much they will hike the premium by, just not worth the risk in my book - she only needs it as a fill in between selling her last car and getting her new one so she should be able to transfer her insurance over for that small period of time.
2 policies 1 car ? - Stuartli
I think that being able to add drivers to a car insurance policy is being confused with the policies themselves.

Insurance companies will not allow two policies on one vehicle, property etc as it would be wide open to fraud, abuse or whatever you wanted to call it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
2 policies 1 car ? - George Porge
Stuartli, first post says he does'nt want his sis in law on his policy, shes a liability.

Sis in law insures the car on her policy from xx/xx/xx date and you freeze your policy from the same date. Tell your insurance co's the reason why.
--
2 Dirty VW diesels and a Honda with an 18 inch blade
2 policies 1 car ? - Bill Payer
Stuartli, first post says he does'nt want his sis in law
on his policy, shes a liability.
Sis in law insures the car on her policy from xx/xx/xx
date and you freeze your policy from the same date. Tell
your insurance co's the reason why.

I tried to do this when we wanted to borrow MIL's car for a couple of wks. I was told by several companies that I couldn't insure it if I wasn't the registered keeper (some said owner, but that's clearly tenuous, as finance companies own a lot of cars).

Yet some gargages insist that you out courtesy cars on your own insurance (mine covers them automatically) so insuring cars you don't own must be possible.
2 policies 1 car ? - No FM2R
>>Insurance companies will not allow two policies on one vehicle

Of course they will. There are many reasons why that might be so. What about when a garage is servicing your car and road-testing it ? Or do you think that they are doing that on your insurance ? It also can happen when more than one policy you have offers you similar cover - legal cover for example. Typically house insurance and motor insurance can offer you liability insurance. The claim should be made on the most applicable and immediate policy and if they both are eligible then it should be made pro-rata accoridng to premium and proportion of cover.

Its just not usually the best way of doing things for members of the public. Insurance companies don't like it because of potential abuse, but it is not up to them other than the fact that they may choose to insure the risk or not themselves.

However, was it me, I wouldn't lend her the car in the first place, but if I was going to I would cancel/suspend my insurance and insist on seeing proof of her insurance (of which I would keep a photocopy) before she could take the car - just to avoid any potential "mistakes" which might end up with me having an aiding and abetting issue.
2 policies 1 car ? - bobda
£42 for a week with Norwich Union short term insuance (assuming your car is lower than group 17).
I've used them three times in the past month or so.

www.norwichunionshortterminsurance.co.uk/
2 policies 1 car ? - martint123
It can certainly be done - my brother got covered to use my car for a week.

This talk of "two policies on a car" doesn't come into it really - it should be "You can't insure the same risk with more than one policy.

My insurance covers me driving and the 'fire and theft' cover. Little brothers just covers him driving my car.
I didn't want to add him to my policy or if he had a bump it would be my NCD and history that got the chop.

2 policies 1 car ? - R75
£42 for a week with Norwich Union short term insuance (assuming
your car is lower than group 17).
I've used them three times in the past month or so.
www.norwichunionshortterminsurance.co.uk/

That is a fantastic link, thank you. Exactly what we are looking for.
2 policies 1 car ? - bobda
My pleasure.
2 policies 1 car ? - Westpig
Fairly sure it can't be done......... because....... apparently you have to have an 'insurable interest' i.e personal monetary interest in the vehicle before you can fully insure it.

I tried to insure my brother's m/c a few years back when he went to Oz for a year, believe me i tried very hard.

I could get cover on my own insurance to ride his, third party only.... but of course that wouldn't cover a total loss.(Couldn't leave his policy running with me as named driver as he was early 20's and paying a fortune and i was late 30's and too tight to pay that sort of money).

The only way it could have been done, is if the ownership was transferred to me and then when he came back it was transferred back (which would have been a bit of a fiddle as in reality he still owned it). This would have course shown 2 more owners on the V5, which he didn't want.

Gave up in the end and parked it in the garage for a year.

Bottom line was 'no insurable interest' then you can't insure it as your own.
2 policies 1 car ? - Westpig
forgot to say that this is a swizz, cos the repair garages do this all the time..when you collect a courtesy car, you end up insuring it on your own policy, yet the courtesy car has got sod all to do with you. i.e no insurable interest........ mentioned this to various brokers at the time and they explained that was a deal arranged with the insurers.... and i still couldn't avail myself of that for little old me