Cars without air con - jackobristol
Does anyone know of a reasonable solution for cooling in the hot weather for those of us without a/c as standard? Is there anything on the market which might plug into the lighter socket and give a hint of cooling the cab? Any thoughts most welcomed, cheers.....phew whatascorcher!
Cars without air con - Waino
I recall seeing small fans that stood (Bluetac?) on the dashboard - presumably they plugged into the cigarette lighter socket. Maybe they have been rendered obsolete by aircon.

Cars without air con - bell boy
ive got one in my transit bought from a £1 shop its not too bad but noisy,cant remember how much it was though.
Cars without air con - frazerjp
My solution is: Open as many windows as you can & put the vent on '2' & bare it, thats what i do lol!!
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Cars without air con - sierraman
My solution is: Open as many windows as you can
& put the vent on '2' & bare it, thats what
i do lol!!

You might get arrested 'bareing it' in your car.
Cars without air con - David Horn
Theoretically, an inverter + a freestanding air con unit with the hose stuck out of a window would work. ;)
Cars without air con - Big John
Strip down some cheap cool boxes for the peltier effect elements and heat/cool sinks. These do cool quite well but draw lots of current (4A per element) and you would need at least 10 to have any effect.
Cars without air con - R75
Theoretically, an inverter + a freestanding air con unit with the
hose stuck out of a window would work. ;)

And by the time you have got an invertor capable of 3kw (thats what my portable one in the office draws as a max) you will have blown most of the electrics in the car so would need to buy a new one, in which case you may as well get one with A/C ;o)
Cars without air con - henry k
Theoretically, an inverter + a freestanding air con unit with the hose stuck out of a window would work. ;)

or perhaps the following design.
www.dyna.co.za/cars/Car_-_Aircon_Fitted_011.jpg
:))))
Cars without air con - PoloGirl
Dropping the back windows by an inch or two and putting the fan on usually cools the car down.... at least it used to work for me before I got Polo, whose back windows aren't actually openable!

Cars without air con - NowWheels
Dropping the back windows by an inch or two and putting
the fan on usually cools the car down.... at least it
used to work for me before I got Polo, whose back
windows aren't actually openable!

I can vouch for the effectiveness of that trick. I used to use it on my old cars, which were all aircon-free, and it it creates a really good throughflow of air which doesn't blow into your face in the way that opening front windows does. Haven't tried it with anyone in the back, though.

The other trick I used to use on a car with a sunroof was centre vents, plus tilt the sunroof open. That seemed to suck the air out through the centre vents, creating a really strong airflow which bypased the face of front-seat passengers. Very effective at cooling.
Cars without air con - Stuartli
>>bought from a £1 shop>>

One pound?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Cars without air con - Manatee
oldman wrote:
ive got one in my transit bought from a £1 shop......cant remember how much it was though.

You wuz robbed. Competition's so intense in Coventry there's a 99p shop just down from the £1 shop.
Cars without air con - Dynamic Dave
Is there anything on the market which might plug into the lighter socket and give a hint of cooling the cab?

Get yourself along to LIDL. Their Monday's offers have just what you want.

www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20060724.p.In...6
Cars without air con - Altea Ego
The Fluorescent In-Car Light Cable you mean? will look nice on your blinged up Cavalier Vectra

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Cars without air con - expat
The heat in a car is usually worst when it has been sitting parked in the sun. You should look at getting a sunshade to put over the windscreen when it is parked. I also have a steering wheel muff that I use when it is parked or you could throw a travel rug over the controls. If you have leather seats put something over them also. They can really burn if you get in wearing shorts.

I am in Australia and it can hit 45'C in summer where I am so you need all the help you can get. Yes - I do have aircon now but I did drive a non aircon car for 25 years over here. It could get a bit warm.
Cars without air con - Stuartli
We had a Ford Transit (one of the rare white ones) following us yesterday that had quite a large fan on the dashboard pointing directly at the driver.

Helped to keep his mobile cool against his ear I presume.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Cars without air con - Hamsafar
Maybe you could get a block of dry ice.
Cars without air con - IanW1977
How about some of that Freeze Spray that you get for various ailments - Or jsut get a water spray thing and spray in your face !