Renault Scenic Expression+ 2001 Starting - sonicsplodge
Here's one for you clever folk out there. 2001 Scenic starts fine from cold however after a good run (say half hour) if i happen to pop into a burger joint or visit a relative the car will NOT start (from hot). It tries god love it but fails dismally. Engine turns over (so dont think its 'starter' fault) but does not get the final kick to start.
Local garage charged £130.00 to replace 'Engine Temperature Gauge?' which showed faulty on PC thingy. Car ran fine for a few hours starting well. However next day it failed to start from hot. Am going back to garage when i finish this set of shifts but would like some weaponry to fire at them. Ideas as to cause of hot start problems much appreciated.
Sorry for length of this but i'mnew to forums...

Cheers in advance
Renault Scenic Expression+ 2001 Starting - bell boy
The pc thingy should show the fault but i would personally go for the crankshaft position senser.especially with the symptoms you give ,however it could be so many other things that i could be wrong.......
resistance should be between 200 and 270 ohms if thats any help (ignition off .........plug disconnected...)......

good luck anyway......
Wow you guys are fast....thanks....others have suggested the crank shaft sensor but the garage fella said that was OK?....this is my regular choice of garage so i tended to accept his ruling ...but methinks i will have to do some serious foot stamping on this one.
Thanks again Oldman

(i will post an update A.s.a.p)
Renault Scenic Expression+ 2001 Starting - Screwloose
SS

I'm 100% with OM on this one. Heat-soak causing intermittant crank sensor [Renospeak; TDC sensor] failure is very common on all the Renaults. They're fairly cheap [from c.£20 upwards - genuine OE] so it may [for once] be worth changing it first before spending more on diagnostics. If the engine is starting, your garage will inevitably find nothing wrong - and they never leave fault codes either.
Renault Scenic Expression+ 2001 Starting - elekie&a/c doctor
Renault now do an extension wiring harness and plug that helps to reduce the problem.It is rarely the sensor that fails- it is the tiny/inadequate connecting pins that open up with heat & cause poor contact.
Well... have booked in for this Thursday and still he (mechanic) feels it is not the Crank Shaft Sensor as it only happens when engine is HOT (if it were that sensor it would happen randomly HOT or COLD)

Thanks for your suggestions and again i will update A.S.A.P
Renault Scenic Expression+ 2001 Starting - DavidHM
Read what screwloose says:

Heat-soak causing intermittant crank sensor [Renospeak; TDC sensor] failure is very common on all the Renaults.

Given that the sensor is about the price of half an hour's diagnostics and it is a fairly common failure item, I don't think you can discount it that easily.
Hi you clever folk.........yep you got it on the nail....garage replaced Crank Shaft Position Sensor thingy after i showed them a print out of this page..........Car has run fine for two whole days.....AND he only wants me to pay for the part...no labour....how cool is that?

Thanks all and i will be back when next my car feels 'off colour'

Cheers again
Sonic