What is the best 7 seater if your choice - heartburn
I m looking to buy a 7 seater, but at the min im like a kid in a sweetshop. I had my mind set on a mark 2 galaxy ghia(not seen a new model yet), but now im looking at the toyota verso diesel 180 bhp.Seems better value with all the toys, but im not happy with the oap image (no offense) i also kind of like the mazda 5, but to many poor reports, i like the s max but my partner says its to much of a mans car, so come guys and gals. Whats your choice and why.
What is the best 7 seater if your choice - Happy Blue!
You have to decide if you want a full seven seater or a full five seater plus two occasional seats (or up to small teenage seats) at the back.

We have a full seven seater (Hyundai Trajet) from which we have permanently removed one rear seat and keep it in the garage. That way we have enough people capacity for our needs and more than adeqate luggage space.

Why the Trajet? It was good value for money, had a five year warranty, came with a diesel and automatic (very few do of that size) and we would not buy a European vehicle (e.g. Peugeot, Ciroen, Fiat, VW, Ford) because of reliability issues.

To date (two years of very heavy use by three children), the Hyundai performs well. The economy is improving (about 28mpg around town now), it is fine on the motorway and the general trim has held up fine. The internal plastics are a little brittle and flimsy, but we have found that out partly through our own negligence.

We have lots of friends with the Corolla (all aged under 42!) and with the Hyundai and all of us are happy with our choice.
What is the best 7 seater if your choice - Avant
If you're buying a 7-seater, image isn't really very important. If anything, the image is of a young or youngish couple since old people don't usually need 7 seats.

Try them all out and see which you like driving / being driven in. Giving the kids a say may lead to less whingeing whejn you finally decide.

The road tests seem to favour the Verso, S-Max and Mazda 5 (I didn't know there were poor reports on the Mazda, which one would imagine to be reliable).
What is the best 7 seater if your choice - Craig_1969
I saw this in the for sale section of www.boxa.net (boxster forum) today seemed excellent value:

2003 (53) Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Club 7 Seater
One owner from new, Under 15,500 miles
Metallic Lightning Silver

Never been smoked in
A1 Condition, Faultless.

Fantastic Value only £6995

I own a Grand Espace 2003 new shape and must say they are very good and mine hasn't gone wrong (yet). But I think for the folding seats into the floor instead of having to lift them in and out of the car I would have a Zafira instead to be honest ( or something with folding seats please god dont make me remove them again!!!)

On second thoughts don't buy a Renault bit of a mistake buying this one.
What is the best 7 seater if your choice - Edward
I've got a Citroen Synergie and my Dad has got a Mazda 5. They both have one big advantage over some of the other MPV suggestions - sliding doors. These are very useful when you have kids in car parks, at the side of the road, near lampposts etc.
What is the best 7 seater if your choice - Craig_1969
Sliding doors and folding seats, now that would be an unbeatable combination. Watch out for electric doors though, nightmare when they go wrong as my sister in law found out on her C8, its a constant problem.
What is the best 7 seater if your choice - PW
Which model Synergie have you got? Am seriously considering one of these for next car- so would be very grateful to hear what they're like (economy- ease of use etc).

What is the best 7 seater if your choice - DP
I think the new S-Max looks stonking, and like the idea of it being good to drive for those moments when kiddies (and wife) are not present.

Cheers
DP
What is the best 7 seater if your choice - Edward
I've got a 02 plate Synergie SX HDI 110 with 50000 miles. I've had it since last September and average about 12000 miles a year with a mix of m-way and town. The good points are:
Nice comfortable spacious interior. Wide enough for 3 child seats across the middle (I have three kids under the age of 3). Sliding doors. Effective climate control. Surprisingly quiet interior at m-way speeds (much better than my previous Octavia). 38mpg average economy (brim to brim) and vast 80 litre tank. Engine copes well with load, is quiet and turning over at only 2500rpm at 70mph. Front seats swival round to face the kids in service stations / laybys etc. Parts are, so far, quite cheap - possibly because of comonality with partner / dispatch vans. Actually quite short - so fits on drive way. SX has electric rear windws that can be disabled with a switch next to the driver. Seats are fairly easy to remove and lighter than some other MPVs (Galaxy).
Bad points are:
Only discovered after I got it that it was ex-NHS. Head gasket went after a month - fortunately I took out a good third part warranty with HJ's recommended provider. Clutch slave cylinder failed (common problem on HDI engines), only £18 for the part and easy to fix. Clunky gear change.
No clutch foot rest and steering wheel only has rake adjust. Sliding door mechanism feels a bit fragile - though no problems so far. Spare wheel is stored underneath - make sure it is there. No roof rails as standard except I think on those with the double sunroof where a roof channel is fitted.

Edward
What is the best 7 seater if your choice - Clanger
I had a '96 Synergie 1.9 diesel. Agree mostly with Edward except for the engine comments. The 90 hp turbo diesel I think is worked too hard in the Synergie. I got on with the gear change well enough and there is a foot-rest - the floor is ramped next to the clutch pedal. This was replaced with a new C8 in '04. This has the 130hp HDi engine and 6-speed box and can be hustled along nicely. The seats in the C8, although bulkier, feel lighter and fold better and the rear seats all slide. I've had no problems with the electric doors yet. Does everything I want.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
What is the best 7 seater if your choice - Victorbox
Depends if you want a full time 7 seater (for 7 adults) or occasional 7 seater, but I think Honest John's road test of the new Zafira gives a good account of it. www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=205

I got my Zafira in January & it has exceeded my expectations.

What is the best 7 seater if your choice - Round The Bend
Espada and Victorbox are right - it all depends if you want a 7 seater or a 5+2. Suggest you line up some test drives and take it from there.

Our Grand Scenic has been with us for almost a year and continues to delight. The flexibility and space (especially load space) are excellent. Drives well and SWMBO loves it. Don't believe all of the rubbish about "unreliability", my experience is that Rennies are far more reliable than, say VWs.

_______
IanS
What is the best 7 seater if your choice - boxsterboy
Agree with Edward and Hawkeye regarding the Synergie and C8. We were very pleased with our Synergie TD (XUD) and replaced it with a C8 HDI Auto. The benefit of sliding doors cannot be underestimated. Wouldn't touch an MPV without them now. Yes, the new Galaxy looks intereesting, but it's big and wide, and I wouldn't like to park it in a supermarket car park!

These are proper 7-seaters, whereas Corolla Versos, Zafiras, and other mid-size MPVs have rearmost seats that are almost so small as to be useless.

Seats that fold into the floor are also a no-no for me, because I often whip all the seats out and use our C8 as a van. Folding seats take up too much room.
What is the best 7 seater if your choice - mikeyb
We bought a VW sharan last year - we had the 5 2 or full 7 dilema. It came down to the fact that our kids are small so still need to carry puschairs in the back, plus all still in car seats (we have 3, 3 and under) we also go camping so wanted lots of space plus sometime have other children in the car (also in car seats).

However removable seats are a pain, and with hindsight should have held on for the new galaxy with the folding jobs - think its also chaeper than the outgoing model.
What is the best 7 seater if your choice - Geordie1
If you are considering 'new' and not in a desperate hurry the 4 x 4 Chevrolet Captiva to be launched in the UK in January can be specced with a diesel auto with 7 seats and should be worth a look.
After 2 days of car searching, im still ,like a kid in a sweet shop (oh dear)
Mazda 5 sportnav 2 .0 d ,we were priced just over 18 k and we could drive away their showroom model (i think desperate to get rid of) looks like, from trailer to showroom.

Toyota verso t180 d now this baby shifted and i like this has same saftey items like traction control etc as the mazda 5 but has other nice things as automatic windscreen washers, i also like the fact that its keyless and uses a transmitter type box, it als has push button engine start/stop, but there must be some sort of implications with a keyless entry, what happens when the batteries give up,also come with dvd player as standard but not know as of yet as to a games console can be connected. Price well their demo car is up for 18k on a 06 registered in march, can i knock em down ?

Lastly my ideal choice is the s max but price is a issue here and the lack of traction control etc as standard is putting me off, i would like the 1.8 d titanium but paying well over 20 k is a def no no ,and i did ask if they could match internet prices as drivethedeal and i got the, well how do you know its a uk spec car etc etc.
What is the best 7 seater if your choice - Pugugly {P}
After Top Gear - the S Max anytime.
What is the best 7 seater if your choice - Round The Bend
Yeah but did you see the way they pushed the SMax? For instance, JC messed up the Zafira back seats (deliberately?) but, conveniently, they were already up on the SMax.
_______
IanS
What is the best 7 seater if your choice - DavidHM
drivethedeal.com only do UK-spec cars and I would expect it to be from a main Ford dealer.

Unless the part-exchange offer is superb, I'd buy from them and sell privately, back to the dealer, through auction or eBay, depending on what you're getting rid of. What are you chopping in? DTD are doing a 2.0 TDCi Titanium with metallic for £19,642.31. (Don't forget the 31p).
Will be choppin in a p reg mondeo worth what, 200 quid tops.

Maybe will try and put a deposit down on a s max demo car, i think be about 6 weeks before the demo`s are replaced.
What is the best 7 seater if your choice - DavidHM
It's cheaper to scrap or auction the Mondy and get a broker discount then (or give it away even).

Obviously if the demo is cheap then that's a good thing and it may be worth considering but I'd rather get £40 scrap for the Mondeo and £2,000 off the new car than £500 for the Mondeo and nothing off the new one.
What is the best 7 seater if your choice - Ruperts Trooper
If you really want to be a bus driver, get a Routemaster.

Why do you need to chauffer 6 other people, whatever size?

Bring back Family Planning Clinics!
What is the best 7 seater if your choice - Ruperts Trooper
If you really want to be a bus driver, get a s/h Routemaster.

Perhaps the Family Planning Clinics should be re-introduced!
Think im gona go for the corolla verso price given is 17,800 ,seems ok for a march registered 4000 mile car. Any things i should watch out for before handing over the hard earned.
What is the best 7 seater if your choice - stu m
Just before you go ahead, take a quick trip to your nearest Mazda dealer. We got rid of a troublesome C-Max and replaced it in March with a new Mazda 5 TS2. It is such a great car to drive and the sliding rear doors are brilliant in tight car parks. I really like the Verso too, but give the Mazda a try first - its a lot of car for the money and ours hasnt put a foot wrong since we got it - seems Mazda reliability is still there.
What is the best 7 seater if your choice - rodiusrob
If you need a 7 seater and also want a boot, may I suggest the Ssangyong Rodius. We got ours in December last year and we love it. It swallows all 6 of us (two aduts and 4 kids aged 11, 8, 6 and 2) and all the associated stuff they carry. It is coping very well with the abuse it gets, goes and stops well and, for a two ton automatic, is returning around 30 mpg. Brand new for 14995, they are a little to new (the oldest will only be a year old) to find second hand but we are very happy with ours. I admit the looks take a little getting used to.............