Astra automatic - plonker
I have just bought a 2001 1.6, 8 valve Astra hatchback with an automatic gearbox. Would someone let me know if there is a lockup clutch in the torque converter such that gearbox input shaft is locked to the crankshaft. If so, does this coincide with the change into 4th gear? Any comment about the operation of the gearbox would be welcome.
Astra automatic - Ruperts Trooper
The gearbox fitted to your '01 Astra 1.6 is a Japanese-built Aisin-Warner AF13.

It has three electronically-controlled modes, Normal, Sport and Winter. It has a lock-up clutch which operates on 3rd AND 4th gear but is also speed dependent - on my 1.8 Auto lock-up only operates above 48mph, but the speed may be different for your model. It also has "neutral control" which automatically engages neutral when staionary with the footbrake applied.

Under "normal" driving the transmission fluid never needs changing but should be done every 40,000 miles under "extreme" operating conditions - ie taxi use, towing, dusty conditions, mountainous terrain etc.

Aisin-Warner boxes are bullet-proof if the fluid is regularly checked.

Thanks Ruperts Trooper - very informative reply.
I note a change at about 48mph as you say and I think it locks up then, but I can't detect a lock up in 3rd - the revs fall off when I lift my foot off the gas but the speed doesn't seem to drop correspondingly. Neither does the neutral control seem to operate. Do you reckon this is something for me to worry about?
I liked your comment about it being bullet-proof! Being retired and just on a pension I need that kind of thing!
Many thanks.
Astra automatic - Ruperts Trooper
Under "normal" driving, lock-up probably won't occur in 3rd as the engine/gearbox will just continue accelerating until 4th is engaged.

If you need to test 3rd gear lock-up, then hold 3rd or select "Sport" mode.

I find that neutral control doesn't always operate, particularly when the aircon is working hard but it's not a worry as long as no dash warning lights are lit.

Enjoy your retirement, I am!
Thanks for that message. What a useful fellow you are!
Many thanks again.