Which Old Car? - stephsteph
Has anyone got any ideas about old cars? I'm looking for something in the £600-£800 bracket. Not particularly interested in cars and don't believe in spending a lot of money on them. They seem to break down anyway however posh they are.
I drive an Astra, N reg, at the moment, never really liked it and I've just spent £425 getting the wretched thing through its MOT. On the plus side it does really good mileage but I do need something bigger for work and it would be nice to drive something less rattly.
I seem to remember Jeremy Clarkson saying if you are going to buy an old car, get a Passat because they last forever. (I've certainly found this to be the case with Polos in the past), but there don't seem to be many of them around and they mostly seem to be saloons.
Anyone got any suggestions?
Cheers
Stephanie
Which Old Car? - DP
You could do a lot worse than a Mondeo. We have two in our family with starship mileages that still run well and are reliable.

£600-£800 gives you a huge choice. They're also cheap to service and fix, well screwed together, good to drive and you can get parts anywhere. The original Zetec engine is tough as old boots if its serviced regularly (with the correct oil) and the general build quality of the car in my experience is excellent. I was actually recommended one by the guy who does my MOT's who told me "they rarely need much doing for the test".

The only big bill they can spring on you is when the clutch needs changing, as it involves stripping the whole front subframe off the car. The 1.8 is the sweetest of the four cylinder engines and gives the best performance/economy compromise.

Cheers
DP
Which Old Car? - local yokel
I'm currently getting very good service, comfort and 44 mpg from a Peugeot 405 Turbo Diesel estate. It does have some rattles and squeaks, however, and I think that's normal for the model. Lots were sold into the UK so parts are easy and cheap enough.

How much space do you need, and in what shape? Many here would swear by a Cavalier, which are still around in hatchback form from the early/mid 90s, are also easy to service and run, and should cost about £500. I had 40 mpg from a 2.0 CD hatch with ease.

I'd agree that a Mondeo is also a good choice. Go for one with as few owners as possible - I'd expect that to be a realistic indication of the amount of care they have given it.
Which Old Car? - stunorthants
Your choice is simple really. You either buy a Ford, Vauxhall, Peugeot, Renault etc etc and have reasonable reliability with reasonable parts costs, or buy something japanese which has high parts costs but is far less likely to need parts in the first place.
Its a generalisation, but many people would subscribe to it including alot of motor traders.

If you looking to trade up from an Astra to a bigger car, for your budget I would seek out a Toyota Carina, avoiding any ex minicabs and looking for a well cared for example, hopefully owned by an older couple as there are a fair few of them about.
A mate of mine bought a 2.0 exec model of around '92 age with 80k on it and he has now done 240k with nothing but routine servicing.

My ten pence worth.
Which Old Car? - nick
Forget the badge and mileage and buy on condition and service history. Personally, it would be japanese every time.
Thanks guys - my last car was a Cavalier and I loved it until it got pranged and written off. It seems wise to avoid them now since they aren't being made anymore - maybe parts would be difficult to get hold of. Also it guzzled fuel, there is a big difference with the Astra. Lots of good suggestions there, thanks.
stephanie
Which Old Car? - No FM2R
>>It seems wise to avoid them now since they aren't being made anymore

Neither is your Astra. And pretty much neither is any other car in your price range. However, the brand is still there and the brand is still interested in selling you bits.

There are other reasons not to buy a Cavalier, but that's not one of them.

M.
Which Old Car? - mrmender
Forget the badge and mileage and buy on condition and service
history. Personally, it would be japanese every time.

Spot on there nick i personaly would go for a old primera every time before a old mondeo
Which Old Car? - Captain Alex Zippy O' Toole
Another vote for the Mondeo from me, but avoid the 1.6 engined varieties, the 1.8 and 2.0 are much better. (The 2.5 V6 is a lovely car to drive if you don't mind getting 23mpg......) The diesels are fairly frugal but it's a basic, rattly old sort of diesel with a hideous lack of poke.

Also avoid the bottom of the range "Aspen" model, every other trim variant upwards gets you the basic niceties like electric windows. (So go for LX or higher, it makes naff all difference to the price anyway, so you can afford to be fussy.)

A local taxi firm uses nothing but Mondeos, I got a lift home in one the other week that had done 275000 miles, I got chatting to the guy about them (as I'd had a Mondeo in the past) and the driver (who was also the firm's owner) told me they're the most astoundingly tough and reliable cars he's ever known. "Keep on top of basic maintenance and wear and tear items, and they go forever" was his view on them.

(I had one myself for twelve months and only got rid because I was upgrading, it was a lovely car, loads of room, massive boot, easy to drive, enough poke, very comfy, and bulletproof reliable.)
Which Old Car? - Thommo
I suggest this so often I should really put in on a Word document and copy and paste it.

J reg (last before cats became compulsory) Cavalier. I would go for the SRI as it goes like stink. Plus you can put two double basses in the back.

£500 will get you a mint one.

Mechanically very simple can be serviced by a blacksmith.

Spares available cheap and plentiful it was a big seller and there are still lots around.

Mondeo also a good choice but I think the Cavalier edges it.
It seems like most agree on the mondeo. Just had a look at Autotrader and it seems you get a lot more for your money. It seems like a toss up between smooth drive/power and mileage. The Astra is sloppy and rattly, whereas the Cavalier was brilliant to drive and, thinking about what Thomo has said, I never tried to get 2 double basses in the boot but used to reckon that you could get a dead horse in there - it was HUGE. However it wasn't an economical car and the Astra is. It costs £40 to fill it up and I can get 400 miles out of that, on a mixture of motorway and country lanes. How are Mondeos for mileage? Anyone know?
Which Old Car? - NowWheels
A local taxi firm uses nothing but Mondeos, I got a lift home in one the other week that had done
275000 miles, I got chatting to the guy about them (as I'd had a Mondeo in the past) and the driver
(who was also the firm's owner) told me they're the most astoundingly tough and reliable cars he's
ever known. "Keep on top of basic maintenance and wear and tear items, and they go forever" was
his view on them.

A small car hire joint I used to use a lot had a Mondeo estate of similar mileage. They were also an MoT centre so did their own servicing, but they used to comment on how they thought they'd have had to offload that car long before, but it simply refused to die. Even at that age, it was still very nice to drive though it wasn't a fast car), and in remarkably good shape cosmetically.
Which Old Car? - burpie
I disagree about the Mondeo. I have heard that cat. failure is very common on these cars. Also they seem to rust quite badly.
Which Old Car? - DP
I was actually just thinking that contrary to most ten to fifteen year old Fords, I have yet to see one with any significant rust on it at all.

Cheers
DP