Which tyres for Ford Focus 1.8zetec? - Lockey
Hi,

I have just purchased a Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec. This X reg has only 22,000 miles on original Conti Eco Contact CP tyres (195/60 R15 X) and need replacing (2-3mm left, but a lot of surface and sidewall cracking). I currently do a lot of motorway miles - 15,000-20,000 a year. I am wondering which tyres to go for?

I had narrowed it down to the following but am open to suggestions:

Goodyear Excellence ~£70 per corner (www.mytyres.co.uk)
Bridgestone Potenza RE720 ~£65 per corner (www.eventmobiletyres.co.uk)
Bridgestone Turanza ER300 ~65 per corner (www.mytyres.co.uk)

tyretest.com rates the Excellence well and pneus-online.co.uk rates the Potenzas well. (I've heard that Bridgestone no longer make the RE720 - is this true?)

I have found the Contis to be ok, but perhaps a little noisy. I want to go for some tyres that will last a while and be comfortable, but also like to have good grip. Any recommendations? Also, the tyres fitted are V rated, but yet the car will only get to 126MPH. Can I not fit H rated tyres instead as it will save £10 per tyre. I can't really find anything about the manufacturer standard, but my current tyres are V, so was going to go for the same.

Thanks for your help and recommendations.

Andrew
Which tyres for Ford Focus 1.8zetec? - L'escargot
I can't really find anything about the manufacturer standard .....

The 1998 Edition 1 brochure says 196/55 R15-H for 1.8 16V petrol Zetec, and 195/60 R15-V for 1.8 TDdi Zetec, both on 6x15" alloy whels.
--
L\'escargot.
Which tyres for Ford Focus 1.8zetec? - smoke
I have Turenzas ER300's on the Fiesta, and they are wearing well, with good grip. Maybe look at Toyo Proxes CF1's 195/60 R15 88V which are £42.90 at mytyres before fitting costs. Rated well in the autoexpress tyre tests i believe and definatley will get a lookyloo when i come for a change on the Fiesta.
If the tyre rating of the vehicle is V then do not drop below V for your tyres (either written in the manual, or phone Ford and ask). Since although speed is one factor, other factors are involved in specifying the rating for the tyre including car weight etc etc, and you could compromise your insurance and possibly your own safety in the event of an accident.
Hi,

Thanks for your response. Great spot on Toyo's! I may well buy - very good price.

Anyone got any opinions on wear and grip from these tyres?

Andrew
Which tyres for Ford Focus 1.8zetec? - daveyjp
I swapped Dunlops for Toyos Proxes - much better grip and less road noise. I didn't keep the car for long after I swapped them so no idea on longevity. When the A3 needs replacements I'll be looking at Toyo Proxes CF1s as a replacement.
Thank you for your response. I think I've decided on my tyres now!

I will go for the Toyo Proxes CF1 195/60 R 15 V speed rating. Good value and highly recommended across internet sites.

Andrew
Which tyres for Ford Focus 1.8zetec? - daveyjp
I visited my friendly tyre fitter last night about the same tyre f(different size) or my Audi, but on checking I need a W rating and not a V and Toyo don't do one. I've asked him about Vredesteins and he is trying to source these, but the fitted price he gave me for replacement Michelins is less than mytyres are charging just for the tyre so I may well replace like with like.