Dispute insurance offer & gap - mark1969
Dear all

I have received an write off offer of £3000 for my T plate Honda Accord 1.8 SE Exec (120k miles) - book value c. £2400 (no fault accident). I paid £7000 for it in August 2002.

Is it worthwhile to ask for a bit more, or should I count my blessings and accept their first offer?

I am considering GAP insurance for my replacement purchase, a Polo 1.9 SDI 05 plate (£7000). Best price so far (3 years) is £150 from www.click4gap.co.uk (Hitachi finance) [no connection].

Is GAP worthwhile? Are there better providers out there?

Views / answers welcome

Mark
Dispute insurance offer & gap - No FM2R
£3,000 for a car worth £2,400 ? And you have to ask ?

As long as the book value reasonably represents to cost of getting another, I'd suggest you think yourself lucky and move on.
Working on the principle of 'if you don't ask, you don't get', I was hoping that the assessor will always keep a little bit back.

Any views from anyone who has been through this before?
Dispute insurance offer & gap - local yokel
To do so, the assessor would need to see evidence that the retail price of a very similar condition vehicle was more than you are being offered.

Can you provide such info.?
I have yet to find a model of similar spec and condition as my well cared for car.

In searching for a direct replacement, most if not all of the vehicles I have seen are tired and very worn (Civics and Accords). I've seen cars that look in a poorer condition that have only done 60,000 miles (if you believe the mileometer) at £3600 (franchise dealer).

So in brief. It will be very difficult to prove.