Freelanders/Landrover - Mr Jenkins
Has anyone had any problems with the Freelander V6ES? I have!

In October 2000 I bought a Freelander 2.5 V6 ES - I paid full retail price - I even had to pay for a key ring!
I have had the vehicle regularly serviced by the dealer.
In December last year there was a noise coming from the engine, which got progressively louder so I called Landrover Assistance who thought it might be the hydraulic tappets. It was taken into the dealer for investigation on 21st December. As I needed a car, I was supplied with a hire car.
Obviously it was the Christmas holiday period so they could not work on the car for a while but when they contacted me a couple of weeks later they said they did not know what was wrong so they were going to fit a new engine!
After another couple of weeks they said they were still waiting for fuel injectors.
After 7 weeks they said I could pick up the car however there was a different noise plus the interior of the car looked and smelt as though the mechanics had been using it for their lunch breaks!!
When I took it back again they acknowledged that it was noisy and said I had to book it in again.
Now the 'hill descent' light is on and having an extremely useless Landrover dealer I am not sure if I should take my complaint to them or Landrover direct.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone else that has encountered similar problems.
Re: Freelanders/Landrover - Moosh
Previous post on this site from Mark 19/2/02

"There is an informed body of opinion in the Backroom that thinks little of the Freelander

Actually I think a lot about the Freelander. I have nightmares about the bloody thing !

This is a wind-up, right ?

On the off chance this it is serious...

Towing with a Freelander ? Are you nuts ? Even in the unlikely event that the thing stayed running long enough for you to even think about pulling your caravan, then it is unlikely to have the power to get it out of your drive.

And even if you manage that you will bang noisily along the road, at a very slow speed, with the nose of the car pointing up. It will be harsh, under-powered and is unlikely to make it across dry tarmac, god foprbid that you drive into a caravan site.

TheFreelander is ¨$%¨%¨. Not recommended, not even to a dead man looking for a final resting place.

Try a search on the word "Freelander" in this Phorum.

My experience, detailed here, is that it is noisy, under-powered, unreliable, bits fall off, uncomfortable, insufficient load space, uncomfortable for rear seat passengers over 3ft tall, plasticky, naff-4WD [sic], incompetent, easily stuck in mud/sand/snow, ugly, harsh, ill thought out, badly designed, worse built, impractical off-road, unfase off-road, pathetic on-road - I could go on (I frequently do)

Really, do a search on Freelander.

The only reason you would need a manual would be to pass the time of day as you spend endless hours in reception waiting for it to be fixed yet again."
Re: Freelanders/Landrover - tomo heedman
Well, after alls said and done - my Freelanders fine!

Never gone wrong once (but then it is only a W reg)...

However...
Its soooooooooooo slow (1.8 16v) and noisy at high speeds (engine reving its little head off) and fuel consumption is best not measured.

Also, the ABS light stays on until you go over about 10mph - is that normal?
Re: Freelanders/Landrover - andy
So it hasn't blown it's head gasket yet then? It will eventually!
Re: Freelanders/Landrover - Todd
> Also, the ABS light stays on until you go over about 10mph -
> is that normal?

Yes, for a Landrover Freelander ;)
Does the ABS in your car actually work below 10mph? I'd get the ECU tested for fault codes. Might be a wheel speed sensor gone?
Re: Freelanders/Landrover - Tony
I have to ask,1)Why would anyone buy a Freelander when the competition is just so much better?2) How do Land Rover get away with selling such dire junk?
Re: Freelanders/Landrover - Tomo
I have to ask, why are more people not happier, since most of them do not have one?!
Re: Freelanders/Landrover - Richard
Well I'm not to sure were to start???

I have a 2.0 Diesel (R) with 47,000 miles on the clock, I bought the Car as a Land Rover assured car just under 2 years ago and it's been in and out of the garge ever since ( mostly small little faults). but!!!!

Last weekend I went out shopping with my 5 month old baby in the back. I could hear a noise like a slipping fan belt but didn't think it was serious , when I had a large bang and creaking noise from the back.( good job I was only doing 30mph). I stopped and had the car recovered to a Land Rover garge. I was informed that the back axel had shattered and needed repairing ( At a cost of over £900 )
I was out of warrenty so on calling land Rover received no help. ( They didn't even seem to be worried that I had a 5 month baby in the back when the back Axel went.)

One I'm not very happy about the cost, but more seriously I don't think a Freelanders back Axel should go after 40,000 miles. WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPEN AT A GREATER SPEED!!!!!!

IS THERE A SAFTY ISSUE HEAR ?????
Re: Freelanders/Landrover - markymarkn
A back axel on a shopping trip?

Weren't these things meant to go off road? Unless they meant off road as in onto the driveway. Seems they're no good at that either.

I see Mark (B) is holding back, preparing himself for the all-out assault!

M.
Re: Freelanders/Landrover - Flat in Fifth
I think Mark (B) is trying to rearrange the following words into a well known phrase or saying,

so told you I

;-(
Re: Freelanders/Landrover - Mark (Brazil)
>>Never gone wrong once (but then it is only a W reg)...

Doesn't equate very well with.....

>>the ABS light stays on until you go over about 10mph - is that normal

The Freelander would be rubbish, badly-designed, under-powered and inadequate even if they built it well, but they don't even do that.

Bloody awful vehicle, as I believe I may have mentioned before.
Another cache.pol.co.uk....... - Kev
Funny how we have had 2 Landrover Freelander queries in a few days from a cache.pol.co.uk.
Funny how you know who has a cache.pol.co.uk
And funny how the dislike between him and Mark is legendary,and Mark's dislike of Freelanders is equally legendary.......

Or maybe its all coincidence, in which case sorry for the connection, my suggestion Mr. Jenkins is to find some mud and drive it into it, and as its imcompitent off-road, it will a)get stuck or b)sink.
Enjoy the walk home, at least your leg wont fall off...........

Kev
Re: Another cache.pol.co.uk....... - Moosh
"cache.pol.co.uk" is the FREESERVE server which is most common.

I too use it.
Re: Another cache.pol.co.uk....... - Andy Bairsto
Yes ,but you can use the keyboard
Regards Andy
Re: Freelanders/Landrover - Andy Bairsto
I cannot believe it is made in the same Factory as the new new Range Rover.
My local Ford Garage is also the Volvo and Land rover agent and when I took my new explorer for some warranty work (the rear wash wipe only cleans 50%of the screen)I was suprised to see so many Freelanders in various states of undress obviously waiting for parts.The service manager who is a friend said to me how can Ford make something so good as the Jag ,Mondeo,Focus ,Volvo,explorer and Range rover with which they have so little problem and then make a dog like the freelander
Re: Freelanders/Landrover - Moosh
Some good news.

1. Count yourself lucky you are still under manufactures warranty.

2. Remember to dispose of vehicle long before expiration of same.

The secondhand value seems to hold up. It seems not everybody knows they are so troublesome........YET?
Freelander - Anon
Keeoing
Re: Freelander - Anon
Damn, hit the wrong button.

I had work experince at Rover Cowley in 1995 when I was trying to score some CV points, and was amazed at the poor standard of workmanship there. They had huge problems with the rearw indow never shutting when required, and then opening randomly, and many staff members openly said they wouldn't buy one. Also, they didn't like it very much when I said that in my opinion, it looks awful and like it is wearing a nappy.

I too dislike the Freelander.