large diesel estate - XM? - adverse camber
Hi,

I am bored rigid with my v70 'classic' (aka old model) tdi. I keep looking around to see what large diesle estates are about but there isnt much choice. bmw 5 series is too small. passat/a6 are OK, but we've had several audi, merc E-class is expensive plus the rust and diesel reliability put me off.

Anyway, I have been thinking about an XM, would I be mad? Im told that the suspension is more reliable than people think. They are big and the psa diesels have a good name, the xm is galvanised, the xm-club forum has lots of people clocking up hunderds of thousands of miles.

There are not many about and many are autos - I would want a manual. Anyone care to comment?

I guess this applies to mercs as well - how do you do a hill start with a foot operated handbrake?

large diesel estate - XM? - 1066
i've always wanted an xm estate myself, but ive always been put off by the perceived unreliability issues. big car and pretty looking i think
ann
large diesel estate - XM? - mrmender
Can't realy answer your question. BUT always loved the cx & to a lesser extent the XM
I love Alfa's too but i haven't got the balls to buy one as my mates will all go "told you so" when it goes wrong!
Mind you i run a Rover so what do know!
To sum up GO for it and i promise i won't say "I told you so" if it goes wrong!
large diesel estate - XM? - PhilW
Don't seem to be many "good 'uns on the market these days. What used to be the "XM Centre" near Oxford, run by Paul Johnson, became the "Ciroen Centre" a couple of years ago and only has one XM in stock at the moment - mind you he has loads of C5 Estates with 2.2 HDis & several automatics- bit more expensive than an old XM though!
No connection except as a satisfied customer a few years ago for our Xantia HDi exclusive (cracking engine by the way, and faultless for 90k so far) He hasn't got any Xantias either!
www.citroencentre.co.uk/

--
Phil
large diesel estate - XM? - David Horn
According to this Friday's Western Morning News, the XM is a good car to own provided you get one of the later ones which have had the problems ironed out.
large diesel estate - XM? - adverse camber
Phil,

Problem with the citroen centre is that I am in north yorkshire and its a long way to go to look at a car.

Ive never even driven a citroen, how does the Xantia compare in size terms to an xm ? I have to say that I dont go for the styling of the C5.

As I get older I seem to be spending less on cars, even though I have more cash to spend. I just object to spending thousands on something that I dont like. If bmw did a large estate I would be tempted because I do like their handling - but the cars are too small.