Honda Accord - VERY Uneven tyre wear - brownie
Can anyone offer any assistance or advice please?

I bought a 2004 (2.4) Honda Accord almost exactly a year ago. Now, after 16000 miles (mostly motorway), my rear tyres are bald, but only on the left 1-2 inches of each tyre as you look from the rear, or to put it another way, the inside of the drivers side rear, and the outside of the passenger side rear! The tyres were new when I bought the car. I have now had the camber settings and tracking checked which were both fine and am booked in at Honda next week, though the guy on the phone did not seem too confident of a resolution...hence my plea for help. Incidentally, I class my self as a sensible driver - before anyone asks! :-)
Honda Accord - VERY Uneven tyre wear - piston power
i bet this is a common problem to your car, check others see if the rear tyres have been replaced may be there is a rear wish bone or suspension mount thats faulty causing the rear's to toe inwards? id look into this further they should do more than double that the fronts do!!
Honda Accord - VERY Uneven tyre wear - Andy P
You don't mention which model and what brand of tyres you have, but I wore out the rears on my 2003 Type S in about 16,000 miles, although they had been on the front for 10,000. However, wear was very even across the tyre (Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, 225/45ZR17).
Honda Accord - VERY Uneven tyre wear - kithmo
Sounds like a bent chassis/floorpan or misaligned subframes. Has it been in an accident & repaired ?
Honda Accord - VERY Uneven tyre wear - stuartl
I would go with the accident theory too.
Was the car HPI'd when you bought it?
Is there anything suspect in the handling or when braking heavily?
I had a Pug 309 years ago and that had been in a front end smash that on close inspection left the n/s front wheel sitting about 35mm further back than it should have been......
Honda Accord - VERY Uneven tyre wear - Aprilia
Yup - some kind of frame misalignment - either accident damage or subframe misaligned.
A 4-wheel laser align would show it up. Look for differences in O/S and N/S wheelbase and thrust angle not zero. Car is basically 'crabbing' to put it simply.
Honda Accord - VERY Uneven tyre wear - Al 42
This may be of interest:

www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=1124&mforum=...4
Honda Accord - VERY Uneven tyre wear - martint123
A fairly quick check would be park on level ground with steering dead ahead and compare distances between centres of wheels on each side i.e. NSF to NSR and OSF to OSR. Or compare distances from tyre to wheelarch on each side.

Martin
Honda Accord - VERY Uneven tyre wear - brownie
All, many thanks for the replies, all useful, though the accident theory is a little scary!! The car had been HPI'd but as a check I have had it re done and nothing showing. There are no other symptoms either, steering is good and braking feels fine. Incidentally the camber readings were -1.14 and -1.19 which I dont think are that excessive and the tyres are Dunlop SP sports.
Honda Accord - VERY Uneven tyre wear - Peter D
Was this a 4 wheel alignment and is the car straight. A long shot couple be a couple of duff tyres but that is a long shot. Regards Peter
Honda Accord - VERY Uneven tyre wear - megawatt
I have a late 2004 model 2.4 automatic which has done 22K miles and the rear tyres are almost illegal due to very uneven wear on the inside 1" ... The rest of the tyre surfaces would do another 2 years at least!
I bought the car at 6000 miles direct from a Honda main dealer, have owned it since and it has been driven carefully (never been in an accident or kerbed etc).
At it's recent 2 year service the head of service at my local dealership said that this is a known issue with certain model numbers (incorrect camber setup) and I am taking it in tomorrow to have the alignment checked.
I am expecting the tyres to be changed under warranty even though this is not normally possible after 12K miles on the basis that the wear would have been obvious at the 12K mile service to any qualified Honda engineer and the tyres should have been replaced a year ago and the misalignment corrected.
I'll let you know how I get on ... If anyone's still interested after all this time :-)
Honda Accord - VERY Uneven tyre wear - jc2
Why would a "qualified Honda Engineer" need to go near your car at a service? Do you mean a fitter?
Honda Accord - VERY Uneven tyre wear - lever8

megawatt

I'll let you know how I get on ... If anyone's still interested after all this time :-)

Any update on this megawatt?