Tree sap - David Horn
Having parked under a tree in the sun my car has been drizzled liberally with tree sap. It looks like water droplets but won't shift, and is annoying when it's on the windscreen.

Am stuck (sorry) for ideas on how to get rid of it. The ferocious screenwash additive won't move it, and Holt's Screenies make no difference either.

Does anything easily dissolve it?

Cheers,

David.
Tree sap - PhilW
Works for me
www.autoglym.co.uk/frame2.html
--
Phil
Tree sap - PhilW
Oops, sorry, correct page doesn't come up
Autoglym Fast Glass is the product I hoped would show
--
Phil
Tree sap - daveyjp
Did exactly the same, parked under a sycamore and the windscreen became covered in spots of sap. Cleaned it last night with no chemicals. Simply used a wet cloth and then a credit card to scrape off the sap. Worked a treat.
Tree sap - mike hannon
I used to get this problem when my parking space was under a beautiful, but sappy, copper beech.
After trying everything I could think of I discovered by accident that plain warm water shifted it straight away.
Tree sap - Red Baron
Tree sap is an organic acid. If left on car paint or laquer, it will eat into the layers.

Easiest way to remove it is with warm water and a little detergent, but it won't be instant as it has to be dissolved first.

Pine sap forms the basis for flux (Rosin).
Tree sap - Waino
I suspect that in many cases the 'tree sap' is actually honeydew which is exuded by aphids (present on leaves in the tree) - this will occur particularly under beeches and limes. Honeydew is a sugary substance which explains why it can easily be washed off with warm water. If left for a long period it will become dull black due to the presence of saprophytic 'sooty moulds'.

Tree sap - mike hannon
This is what I love about the Back Room. Just when you thought life was pretty straightforward you start learning all over again. Thanks Waino.
Tree sap - Waino
Ants go to great lengths to farm aphids for their honeydew, fighting off predators such as hoverfly larvae. There's a link here - if it works, that refers both to honeydew under lime trees being a nuisance to car owners and the farming activities of ants. I've been a professional biologist for the past 30 years, so I have to know about these things!

www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/aphids.htm

Tree sap - Dulwich Estate
"Honeydew" ? Do you mean,.....er...let's not be shy about it.... - aphid POO.
Tree sap - Waino
I never really looked at it like that - but that's one way of putting it. It is 'excreted', after all.

If you are into aphid excretion (not literally!) - try this. The engineering enthusiasts who talk about oil characteristics will lap it up (not literally!).

www.deas.harvard.edu/softmat/downloads/2002-03.pdf

Tree sap - Vansboy
Didn't there used to be a warning, printed in your Rolls Royce owners handbook, 'do not park under lime trees'?

Have to re-check mine!

VB
Tree sap - NowWheels
Didn't there used to be a warning, printed in your Rolls
Royce owners handbook, 'do not park under lime trees'?
Have to re-check mine!

I leave all that stuff to my chauffeur :)
Tree sap - pmh
Absolutely fascinating!

How many people are into organic chemistry and mechanical engineering to this level? Is it blue sky research sponsored by the petro chemical and drugs industry or just plain academic 'I must find a new topic for my PhD ?
--

pmh (was peter)

Tree sap - Oz
Check out white spirit. It is a good solvent for contaminants like this (including tar) which won't come off with water/detergent, but has nowhere near enough power to harm the paintwork.
Oz (as was)
Tree sap - patently
The best approach is prevention, not cure. And I don't mean circling around endlessly until you find a tree-free parking space!

Last week the 911 was treated to its biennial polish and wax. Its next journey was to a distant office in the empire, and the only parking space was under a tree. Naturally, when I returned to the car it was sticky to the touch; by the time I got home the sap had hardened in the heat. As you can imagine, I was not best pleased!

Anyway, this morning the car took me along the motorway in the rain. The sap has gone - the surface finish is back. All it took was a light rinse.
Tree sap - patently
Sorry - should have mentioned - applying wax etc is a bit of a pain. Get your chauffer to do it, NW.
Tree sap - Waino
Mmmm.....don't suppose you noted what species of tree it was?
Tree sap - patently
Tall. Green leaves. Can't be more specific, sorry ;-)
Tree sap - Waino
Aaaaargh ..... how will we ever get this sorted out???
Tree sap - patently
OK - a helpful answer. Have you tried a clay bar?
Tree sap - David Horn
It all came off in the rain this morning. First time in about a month the car's had any water on it at all. :-)
Tree sap - bedfordrl
All three of my vehicles are parked under a Cypress tree and i have found that tar remover that you buy from hardware shops and are meant for clothes work a treat.