Scary Driving - Dave E
Leaving Wardley Industrial Estate in Worsley at Shield Drive I gave way to what can best be described as an "elderly" gent in a old yellow Suzuki. As I followed him down to the East Lancs Road the road splits in two. Left only for Manchester the other side being for traffic entering the estate.

The guy stopped in front of me at the apex of the split and paused for a while. He then proceeded to ignore the No Entry signs and tried to enter the exit road. All the while I am flashing my lights and leaning on my horn. He actually started to drive down the road and would have carried on into the flow of traffic if it had not been for a truck approaching slowly and blocking his progress. I waited and watched the guy in the truck gently try to explain to the Suzuki driver he could go no further but it looked like it was not sinking in.

The mind boggles at what would have happened if he had made it on to the main carriageway as virtually everything is driving at 50-60 mph and there is plenty of traffic joining off the M60 as well.

Scary Driving - L'escargot
<< I gave
way to what can best be described as an "elderly" gent
in a old yellow Suzuki.

Why emphasise that the driver was (a)a gent, (b)elderly and (c)in a old yellow Suzuki?
--
L\'escargot.
Scary Driving - David Horn
Why point out that he emphasised it?
Scary Driving - Lud
Surely there is no harm in describing the driver and his car? 'A person in a vehicle' could be anything from Madonna on a unicycle to Osama bin Laden in a white van.

What worries me is the quote marks... best described as an 'elderly' gent...

Do the quote marks mean he was incredibly ancient, doddering and gaga?

Certainly sounds like it from the alleged driving.
Scary Driving - mss1tw
Did you tell the police...?
Scary Driving - Happy Blue!
I know this area very well and until you said it was a 'yellow' Suzuki, it easily have been my father, driving my mother's silver Suzuki, who is only 71 but whose driving has deteriorated.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Scary Driving - Group B
I saw the same thing several months ago where they were changing a 2-way street near our office into a 1-way. Despite two 6 foot long temporary barriers and a large sign saying "Road Closed, No Entry", another Elderly Gent hesitated, then mounted the pavement by about 3 feet to drive past the barriers. He was only doing 10mph and the lane he drove into was still coned off so no other traffic, but if he drives everywhere like that, I hope I dont encounter him again.
Makes it perfectly understandable how that bloke managed to drive into that canal as reported last week.

Actually while I've been typing this, a van and a car have driven the wrong way up a different 1-way street outside our office, quite a while since I've seen it happen on that one!
Scary Driving - Tim Allcott
Brother in Law is a Civil (usually) Engineer; he told tales of the motorway being closed to take down a bridge deck (doesn't get much more closed than that) but the need to park a vehicle and occupants just before the bridge to fend off other drivers who had somehow got round all the other disincentives including barriers, bollards, signs and being coned to leave at the previous exit to say "but is it REALLY closed?"
Tim{P}
Scary Driving - Chris S
Last night I saw someone make a quick right-turn by going the wrong way around a mini-roundabout!
Scary Driving - Lud
Do you mean they went the wrong side of a mini-roundabout while turning right? Some of these things are so badly placed that you more or less have to do that.

Apart from indicating priority to traffic coming from the right, and thus 'equalising' road junctions between the minor and major road, they are a bit of a nuisance unless just spots painted on the road. My local council, which apparently has money coming out of its ears, builds them as sort of cobbled speed bumps. Noisy, uncomfortable and unnecessary.
Scary Driving - Armitage Shanks {p}
Osama bin Laden would have been in a white Toyota pick-up! Don't you watch the news LOL!
Scary Driving - Lud
Actually AS I was toying with the idea of putting him in a Lamborghini... But surely a white van is the British equivalent of a Toyota pickup in more austere parts of the world?
Scary Driving - Dave E
<< I gave
>> way to what can best be described as an "elderly"
gent
>> in a old yellow Suzuki.
Why emphasise that the driver was (a)a gent, (b)elderly and (c)in
a old yellow Suzuki?
--
L\'escargot.

Welllllllllllllll pardon me for trying to outline a simple incident. Would I be wide of the mark if I suggested if I had not described the driver, quotation marks or otherwise, some may have been curious to find out?

Hey, it wasn't you driving it was it L'escargot. :)