Not again - one for my personal team - Colin Standing
At 50, I determined never again to lie under a car (but always to tell the truth). At 60 all was going well. At 70 - pear shaped. All my children have come home to roost. You solved the motor caravan. How about this please?

My lovely step daughter has a B reg Renault 5 Le Car (posh eh) by the name of Ronald, which is only marginally younger than she. I do my best and she thinks I am a genius because to date all the problems have been very basic. This one probably is too, but I'm not sure, so without telling her, I sneak into the back room to preserve my reputation. What's your diagnosis?

Hand brake off, first or reverse gear, engine pulling, car stationary, even sliding. Rear off side wheel locked solid. This is not the motor caravan 'under use' problem as it is in daily use. Handbrake operation gives normal feel (I have driven the car frequently).

Would I be getting warm to guess that the brake shoe has somehow locked inside the drum and, if so, how do I get it off again? I have a trolley jack, axle stands, infinite patience and an enviable reputation to preserve.

Your comments and advice would be welcomed and acknowledged.

Thank Colin S

P.S. For other oldies, what happened to the notion that, when you became old, your children and grandchildren took over and looked after you. I seem to spend half my time giving matrimonial, financial and technical (and would you believe sexual) advice to all of them.
Re: Not again - one for my personal team - James
Large hammer? Tricky if you can't get the drum off. Has it got wet? Our old Peugeot had a rear wheel stick on the weather side after a couple of days of storms, but happily it freed itself after a bit a shoving in reverse. A bit of heat might help...
Re: Not again - one for my personal team - David W
Colin,

Last time I had to deal with this it was the friction lining of a rear brake shoe that had become unbonded from the shoe and then wedged between the drum and the remaining shoe.

When you reversed the car (Citroen ZX) the wheel was locked and would skid along. It would just go forwards under extra power so we limped it to the workshop.

It was an utter pig to get the drum off and I was very close to getting the angle grinder out to cut it off!

The force and crafty methods to get it off were substantial.

This car was fine the day it was parked and this did follow a period of wet weather.

David
Re: Not again - one for my personal team - alvin booth
I know and have exactly the same problems as yourself Colin. With three married daughters whose husbands have a great time cause everything which goes wrong the daughters say "no don't touch it, leave it for Dad....and 6 grandsons whose toys are always on my bench for repairs.....
However I digress...
I have had similar with a brake drum and recall using heat on the drum and then whaling it with a Thor hammer all the way round the drum. Then wooden drifts on the lip on the inside which is difficult because there isn't much striking distance. Lots of cursing and brew ups but finally it starts to move with the springs trying to hold it back as its being pulled off still locked to the drum.
keep hammering it back to its stop again, more curses, more hammering and hopefully it comes off. Disinterested looks from the son in laws when you display bleeding knuckles and "can you have a look at this other job I've got"...
One other thought Colin check the handbrake cable is loose first. It might be seized up on its guides before the wheel.
alvin
Re: Not again - one for my personal team - alvin booth
Colin,
Remembered another time years ago.. left a Nova at Manchester airport long stay car park for a fortnight. Drove up in the rain and returned two weeks later.
The rear brakes wouldn't come off. Into reverse and lots of power (for a Nova) and bang! they came off.
alvin
Re: Not again - one for my personal team - Ian Cook
Colin

I'm a bit short of 60 and my two sons live away, so car maintenance is mostly mine only. Part of this is due to the fact that I persuaded number two son to take overy my Pug 306D and that was definitely a good plan.

To your problem. Hm. I've a nasty suspicion you might end up facing the sort of desperation cited by DW, because you can't see what's going on inside the brake drum. If I got to this stage I would resort to drilling holes in the face of the brake drum. A decent electric drill ought to manage 3/8 inch holes, and you might just be able to get something in to "wiggle" or prise the shoes.

Make sure you have sourced a scrappy's replacement drum first, and at leat you wont wreck anything else that's part of the rear suspension.

Ian