Stone chipped headlamp & MOT - Chris M
One of my headlamps has a largish stone chip on it. It's been there for months and no moisture has got inside. The MOT is due soon. Does anyone know the rules?

Chris M
Stone chipped headlamp & MOT - martint123
So long as the pattern is correct then it's fine.

www.motuk.co.uk/manual_120.htm

Stone chipped headlamp & MOT - bell boy
if its been there for months why did you not seal it with silicone or even a glue stick?if its anything like a clio light you will find that the glass will drop off soon as the moisture unseats the glue on the lens
Thanks Martin123 for your helpful response.

Chris M
Stone chipped headlamp & MOT - bell boy
no problem glad to help :)
Stone chipped headlamp & MOT - Pete M
You could try filling it with clear 5 minute epoxy. It would be almost invisible. Trim off the excess flush with the headlight glass with a razor blade.
The chip is tiny on the outside but quite large on the inside of the glass. As I said, it doesn't leak, so not much point filling it in. My concern now is, will the beam pattern be disturbed enough for an MoT fail as it appears that chipped glass by itself won't necessarily be a fail.

Chris M
Stone chipped headlamp & MOT - Saltrampen
Be careful with Epoxy resin - some of them age with the heat from the headlight and turn a slight yellow colour..Not sure if all makes of resin do this, but perhaps a windscreen crack repair kit might work better ? (I speak from experience!)
Stone chipped headlamp & MOT - dereckr
Araldite make a very fast epoxy for glass/china repairs that is supposed to remain clear. BEWARE it's very quick set...30 seconds working time only (at room temp.)