Timing Belt - Golf Mk3 - Costs ??? - cottontop
Hi all,

Its nearly time to renew the timing belt on my Mk3 Golf Estate. What should I expect to pay to get it changed, as I don't want to be ripped off by my local garage.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Richard
Timing Belt - Golf Mk3 - Costs ??? - mark25
No idea of the cost, but it's less than an hours work. It could be worth changing the tensioner while you're/they're at it, it's no more work and they only do about 80K, considerably less for some non-OEM replacements, which it may well have by this age.
Timing Belt - Golf Mk3 - Costs ??? - Chuckie888
Was quoted £120 for a timing belt 'kit'(inc tensioner) change for a SEAT Toledo TDI (1Z engine)
Timing Belt - Golf Mk3 - Costs ??? - George Porge
No idea of the cost, but it's less than an hours
work. It could be worth changing the tensioner while you're/they're at
it, it's no more work and they only do about 80K,
considerably less for some non-OEM replacements, which it may well have
by this age.

Less than an hour! Has your mechanic 4 hands?

Which engine?
Timing Belt - Golf Mk3 - Costs ??? - cottontop
Well for info's sake the Golf is a 1.9 TDI...starting to run Biodiesel soon so going to get the fuel filter sorted out at the same time...
tdiclub.com/articles/A3-TimingBelt/

Did mine myself using the above link.

Changed the belt, tensioner, idler, pas belt and aircon belt with genuine VAG items. Cost around £100 in parts alone and took me considerably longer than an hour I'm ashamed to say ;-)
me considerably longer than an hour I'm ashamed to say ;-)

It doesn't matter how long it takes! What i meant was: I wouldn't want to be charged more than an hours labour if i was paying an experienced machanic to do it...
Less than an hour! Has your mechanic 4 hands?

i do it myself
Which engine?

VW golf mk1 DX
VW golf mk2 EZ
VW Passat PB
VW golf mk3 ADZ

all of the above and the diesels are much the same, however...

VW Bora APK, this takes longer because the engine mount goes through the middle of the belt. Here's a guide i wrote for mk4 golfs/boras:

www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66657&highl...e

The Autodata book states 1.9 hours. The quote I've just been given is £85 plus parts and VAT, which I think is a fair price for a professional job.

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.
Timing Belt - Golf Mk3 - Costs ??? - Roobarb
I'd charge £180 for the job, fully inclusive....
Timing Belt - Golf Mk3 - Costs ??? - broomy72
well i would expect to pay 55 quid plus the kit but thats only because my friendly mechanic is my best friends uncle and also hes a one man band and works from home but i have to say i reckon you definatly need more than an hour to do it more like 2 n half for the average none main dealer with all the official tools mechanic