"Temporary" Car Insurance - BobbyG
My B-I-L has bought my Saxo from me. Him and his family live in Abu Dhabi but his wife will be over for 2 months in June due to the extreme heat over there at this time.

His plan is to get insurance, pay it monthly and then cancel it after the couple of months and then just leave the car in his driveway untaxed (will SORN it) and uninsured until they next come over.

This sounds a sensible idea to me, but will he be able to do this every time or will ins companies ask questions re him cancelling the insurance the first time?
"Temporary" Car Insurance - Peter D
Probably ok the first time but the second time they will ask questions as the car registration number will be the same. We have some friends who live out of the country and they have a low mileage deal insurance laess that 2k a year and from memory they only pay about 120 a year for insurance. Regards Peter
"Temporary" Car Insurance - Hamsafar
www.norwichunion.com/short-term-insurance/index.htm

Also, if you buy a car on ebay you now get 7 days comprehensive insurance for free, so... just keep selling it for £1 to each other :o)
"Temporary" Car Insurance - maclean
Hi - try www.eCarinsurance.co.uk as they will insure a month at at a time if you choose their pay as you go cover.

HTH

Alasdair
"Temporary" Car Insurance - bell boy
why not just insure it 3rd party fire and theft and have done?
that way its covered while on the drive against theft and malicious damage.
see a local broker and get him a quote dont bother online they will all want him to go fully comp though sometimes this is still cheaper than tpft
bare in mind if contract for insurance is for a year then there may be no getout clause and as such he would be breaching his contract your way and it could cause massive problems on his return to blighty in.
He might have a marker placed on him
"Temporary" Car Insurance - BobbyG
Think he has been quoted about £280 TPF&T on a car valued at £600. So he reckons if he pays 2 installments of roughly £25 a month or whatever it works out at, and then just cancels as he doesn't see the point in paying for TPF&T on a car worth about £600 with no doubt an excess of £100 minimum. Car should be safe where it will be parked up as his M-I-L lives 2 doors away!

Should he just do that this time and then wait to see what hassle it gives him next time?

Re the NU short term cover, that is only for 28 days maximum so unsuitable.
"Temporary" Car Insurance - kithmo
Think he has been quoted about £280 TPF&T on a car
valued at £600. So he reckons if he pays 2
installments of roughly £25 a month or whatever it works out
at, and then just cancels as he doesn't see the point
in paying for TPF&T on a car worth about £600 with
no doubt an excess of £100 minimum. >>

It's not as simple as that. The insurance company will put a surcharge on early cancellations and charge for administration involved in cancelling or suspending the insurance. this would probably cost him 40% or 50% of the original policy cost. Much easier to get a low mileage or classic policy and insure it for the full year IMO.
"Temporary" Car Insurance - Dalglish
but will he be able to do this every time

>>

not if and when the proposed new law comes in to force:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=35141&...f

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=36407&...f

"Temporary" Car Insurance - component part
How much will a year cost? Not that much surely? In all honesty, he lives out of the country and can afford to send his wife on what must be an expensive flight over to the UK just because it is too warm for a couple of months-why not just pay a years insurance unless it is fantasy money? At least with TPFT insurance if anything happened to it whilst on the drive it would be covered.

If the use of the car really is that temporary maybe a rental would be better value for money?

I don't mean to sound like I'm taking a confrontational tone here :-)
"Temporary" Car Insurance - MichaelR
Utterly ridiculous proposed laws, I hope they stay as merely proposals.

I intend to retain my Mondeo when I buy my 5 Series - it'll come in handy from time to time or when the BMW is off the road having broken down or when, in 18 months time, I finally accept that 530's and studentness is plain daft. When not used it'll be kept in my locked garage 1 mile from the nearest public road, but for hassle-free sake I intend to keep it taxed and not declare it SORN.

This way I can simply purchase short term insurance as and when I need it.

This new law will royally screw this up.