Dekra inspection results... - Allie
Hi everyone, back to pick your brains! I finally found a car I liked and after a short test drive put a deposit on it to secure it while I wait for my loan to come through. I picked a Y-reg 1.3 Yaris GLS for £4700 with 28,000 miles on the clock because everyone seems to agree that it is a good car (everything else I picked seemed to be too controversial e.g. Rover 25!).

In the meantime, my mum persuaded me to get a Dekra inspection done because I know nothing about cars. I have just found an e-mail in my inbox from the engineer to say this was carried out yesterday (a bit naughty considering he was supposed to call me to give me a verbal report after seing it...) and he has said overall it is ok for the age but he raised a couple of points:

1) "The sidewalls of the rear tyres have suffered ultra-violet damage, causing a multitude of small cracks in the surface of the rubber. Moisture entering these cracks will eventually affect the tyre structure. It is recommended that the tyres are renewed but if this is not the case then the engineer recommends that the tyres be stripped from the wheel and the structure examined."

2)"A loud metallic rubbing noise is evident when driving the vehicle. This appears to be from the OSF corner. The engineer believes this to be caused by the OSF brake disc rubbing on the brake backplate, but further investigation is required to confirm this."

Am I entitled to have this sorted before I pay the balance? My heart sank when I saw the second one - is it serious?

Oh, and anyone considering a Dekra inspection, personally I don't rate it

Allie
Dekra inspection results... - mss1tw
What on earth is DEKRA?
Dekra inspection results... - Pugugly {P}
It's one of them

www.dekra-vi.co.uk/
Sorry - the AA approved vehicle inspection service!
Dekra inspection results... - martint123
If it is the brake backplate them it's probably nothing that a bit of hand pushing won't sort out. Maybe a pair of tyres.

You could try the place you're buying it from and ask them to do it, but I suspect they'd only have to do it as a goodwill gesture. I don't think its enough to say the car was mis-described.

Without them being able to use a lift or remove wheels etc, these car inspections are a very limited - just like house surveys "if this", "if that", "unable to expose" etc etc
Thanks for the reply Martin. Like you I was unsure about the tyre situation, but as regards the possible backplate thingy, I just had a thought (rare!). The car comes with a 3 month warranty so surely, if I heard the noise I would take it back under warranty anyway? Surely it would be easier to do it now?
Dekra inspection results... - nutty_nissan
Hmmm, never heard of dekra, but had a look at their website. Their prices seem higher than the RACs (I paid 300 for mine with RAC, dekra quote 378). Their inspection seems similar in terms of how much they check.

The RAC engineer called me on the day of mine. Not giving you a verbal report is a bid crap. Although I can't see on their website where they promise to do that.

The problem with the tyres just seem as if the sidewalls have got cracks in them due to probably being the same tyres as new, and so it's just age.

He should have really pinpointed why the noise was appearing rather than just guessing. Phone dekra up and ask to speak with the engineer.

With the RAC, the engineer went completely over the top and noted down every scratch, every dent, and every minor thing wrong with the car. At least they were thorough.

Dekra inspection results... - Aprilia
DEKRA is a big German inspection company that has taken over where the AA left off. I suspect most of their technicians are actually former AA guys. A lot depends on the chap you get. I've had some of my cars (ones I'm selling) inspected by DEKRA and they were pretty thorough.

The back tyres is a good point and I would just scrap the old ones and put a decent set of Conti's or whatever on. Shouldn't cost more than £100 the pair, tops.
I would want the scraping noise sorting out - the selling garage should do this without a murmur.
Dekra inspection results... - JohnM{P}
DEKRA sponsored Michael Schmacher in the 90's, see
www.frecksautoart.com/Schumacher_Dekra_Small.jpg
Dekra inspection results... - ziggy
>Hmmm, never heard of dekra, but had a look at their website. >Their prices seem higher than the RACs (I paid 300 for mine >with RAC, dekra quote 378). Their inspection seems similar in >terms of how much they check.

Wow. Not only is it 'like' a house survey, it can cost more than a house survey as well...

Do they do compression test/leakdown tests..?

If not why not just take the car for to an independent garage for an MoT. Much cheaper the 300 quid, methinks..!
Dekra inspection results... - Aprilia
Wow. Not only is it 'like' a house survey, it
can cost more than a house survey as well...
Do they do compression test/leakdown tests..?
If not why not just take the car for to an
independent garage for an MoT. Much cheaper the 300 quid,
methinks..!

Yes, makes the MoT look cheap, doesn't it. Hopefully all those who moan about MoT's and VOSA will think on.
Dekra inspection results... - Collos25
A german private company that has hundreds of Mot testing stations in the fatherland and throughout the world.
Dekra inspection results... - MW
If the garage replaces the tyres, insist on a good make. Some garages will relace them with the cheapest Russian/Polish/Korean tyres that they can, as the sale is already made. You will then have 3 years of poorish performance. Insist on a good make, and they are properly balanced.
If not, get the price reduced by £100 and do the job properly yourself.
I must admit I was shocked by the prices in my area on Autotrader if I wanted a Yaris. As for the Toyota dealer (this is from an independent) - silly silly prices and when I went there they weren't interested in negotiating because they do seem to sell them at that price... I looked up the car on the AA site (which apparently uses CAP prices) What Car and Parkers and the price I am paying is lower believe it or not!

It is a 1.3 5dr GLS with air con, elec windows/mirrors, alloys and metallic paint with 28000 miles on the clock. They also service, MOT and valet it before I get it. £4700 does seem a lot even in my less-than-informed opinion for a 5 year old car but what can I do if this is the going rate? To be honest I feel a bit out of my depth in this price range as I have either had brand new cars with the protection of the warranty before now or an old car for less than £1000 that if worst came to worst I could walk away from. Unfortunately this is my budget at the moment...
Dekra inspection results... - ziggy
I picked a Y-reg 1.3 Yaris
GLS for £4700 with 28,000 miles on the clock because everyone
seems to agree that it is a good car

I never did undertand why so many motoring journalist liked the Yaris yet slated the Corsa. The Yaris feels crude and small (as it is), the Corsa feels 10x more mature to drive.

The main bad thing about the Corsa was the residual value... but that is a plus if you are buying one that is several years old..!
Dekra inspection results... - local yokel
Does it have to be a small car? You could get a tidy Focus on a 51 plate or better for that budget. SWMBO paid 5,000 for a 51 plate 1.6 LX auto with 30k and FFSH last August.
yep unfortunately - economy and parking!
Dekra inspection results... - drbe
I never did undertand why so many motoring journalist liked the
Yaris yet slated the Corsa. The Yaris feels crude and
small (as it is), the Corsa feels 10x more mature to
drive.
The main bad thing about the Corsa was the residual value...
but that is a plus if you are buying one that
is several years old..!

The probable reason why so many motorists who have bought Yaris's like them is because they are Toyotas and are reliable.

Whereas the Corsa conversely is.......