VW Golf mk 2 - Leaking radiator - franco
Hi guys, I have a leak from the radiator of my 1990 Golf 1.3, which seems to be coming from the top right hand side of it. I am not sure if it was a consequence of me not topping up the water recently, or if it was going to happen anyway.

I am trying to find out where exactly the leak is coming from and what needs replacing. I have put a photo here: img300.imageshack.us/img300/3908/vwgolfradiator2hz...g

Between points A and B in that photo there is a small black piece with 2 square holes in it. The water seems to be coming out of there pretty fast, but my Haynes manual doesn't tell me what that bit is.

Anyway, after noticing smoke from under the bonnet I pulled over and topped the water up from some unsuspecting person's garden tap. It leaked out that 3 or 4 litres in about 4 minutes.

VW Golf mk 2 - Leaking radiator - Civic8
Looks to me like the joint in core has gone,its pressed in so will need recoring.Looks that way from what I see of photo?
--
Steve
Thanks Steve, do you know what that particular bit is called and why the leak would come from there?

Is recoring an expensive procedure? I'd get my dad to take it out if needs be, only he'll take forever and I hope to get it fixed within a week.
VW Golf mk 2 - Leaking radiator - jc2
Go to Serck(or Halfords-Serck agents) for an exchange-got one for my Fiesta-looked like new and was suprisingly cheap.
VW Golf mk 2 - Leaking radiator - Peter D
Check the Eurocarparts and GSF price first. Regards Peter
I checked GSF and the radiators seem to be about 38 quid for a 1.3

Is this definately not something else that could be fixed or is a leaking radiator a dead radiator, and is it much of a hassle to try and fit the rad yourself?
VW Golf mk 2 - Leaking radiator - bell boy
I checked GSF and the radiators seem to be about 38
quid for a 1.3

a bargain,must be old old stock,worth one at that price just to put in the loft until needed if you intend keeping car 3+ more years?
VW Golf mk 2 - Leaking radiator - Ian G
I'm sorry but I think £38 is a bargain for a new radiator!

I would be it's going to cost more to get your existing radiator fixed, unless you know someone in the trade.

I owned a 1.3 mk2 golf myself - there's plenty of room in the bay to whip the radiator out as well - not a big job particularly - Heynes has a good guide.

The smoke you see is going to be steam from the pressurised coolant escaping. I'd get it fixed before a small coolant problem becomes a bigger cylider head problem.

hth

Ian
Thanks, Ian. The smoke seems to be the water evaporating off some of the hot parts of the engine, but I will not drive it till I get it fixed.