Swift Opinion? - A_Lees
My wife's Golf is coming up to five years old and has not exactly been reliable. We now want to replace it with something a bit smaller (kids left home), but are not keen on the Polo despite being long time VW drivers.

We have had a look at the Suzuki Swift and like what we see. We had a very brief test drive and it seems to go well enough and is comfortable and spacious for a small car.

Does anyone own one of these cars and, if so, what is your opinion of them?

Thanks.

Ashley.
Swift Opinion? - girlydriver
Ashley,

You want to have a look on the forum for the "If you had just £8000 for a little car" thread. Written by Alijazz, it's a superb (if rather lengthy) read!

I've found you the link:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=39604

Happy reading... from choosing, to buying, to owning!
Swift Opinion? - mrmender
My mate just got one instead of a Audi A2. He says he prefers it, better ride, & gearing more suted to where he lives in a very rural area so lots of VERY B roads felt he was always going up & down the box in the Audi
Swift Opinion? - A_Lees
Any further comments on this car gents? We are about to sign an order for one and wave goodbye to the Golf. Any further information would be most reassuring.
Swift Opinion? - catsdad
As suggested above its worth looking a the previous thread. There I referred to the positive initial experience of a friend who had bought one. I now have another friend who has just got one (also a 1.5) and he is very pleased with it. Last weekend, despite having four adults on board, he had no problems keeping pace with my Accord Diesel over a mix of fast A and twisty B roads. For you, much might depend on which Golf you are comparing it to. Good as it is the Swift would not be a match in every department for a top of the range Golf, but at the lower end, and bearing in mind the price differential even against a base Golf, the Swift is well worth considering.
Swift Opinion? - Alijazz
Hello,

Well. I've had mine for about a month now and absolutely love it. I like it more now than before I bought it. It really is wonderful to drive, very nippy, very comfortable and you feel safe in it. It also looks very cute. Because they aren't that common people turn to look at the car when you go by, and they wonder what it is. Interestingly, it doesn't look like anything else on the road, really - perhaps a bit like a mini from certain angles. It is just itself.

I bought the 1.5 automatic and think the gearbox is the best thing about it. A few years ago we had a Zafira 1.8 and it didn't feel any more powerful than this Swift. Equally, as I've mentioned before, our Meriva automatic was pretty weedy to drive and rolled around every corner, quite disconcertingly at times. I mean we all secretly like doing wheelies, but on purpose; not by accident in front of police cars following us around roundabouts.

If you go for a Swift, let us know what you think. Incidentally, I had a reasonable budget and could have had a more powerful or expensive car, but I still went for the Swift.

Good luck.

Alijazz
Swift Opinion? - Aprilia
I assisted my sister in buying a new car (to replace her Punto). 'We' ended up choosing a Swift. Due to delays in delivery she was away when the car arrived and it was agreed that I would take delivery (this was just before Easter). I therefore ended up driving the car around for about two weeks. I'll post my opinions now in a seperate thread entitled 'Swift review'.