sick bmw 535i - lazza
A mate of mine says he has wrecked the engine in his bmw 535i. It is an 'H' reg. He was doing 55mph in 5th and it just died. No lights on the dashboard? No locked wheels? No bangs, clatters or smashed pistons? Apparently there is no compression(RAC man). I said to him it might be that something minor has broken and that the ECU just shut everything down so to avoid any further damage. He is a home mechanic but is convinced his big bmw is long gone. If the timing chain were to snap on this engine, would the consequences be very evident, ie; engine in bits and seized?
sick 535i - bell boy
tell him to spin the engine over you will hear if the chain has gone,you can replace these chains in situ and it could be that the weakest link has failed?
If engine sounds alright on the spin give it a compression test this will confirm the next step to take.
i find it hard to believe its doomed either by the way.
built like a tank on a h they are
sick 535i - Peter D
No compression but RAC span it over without checking for cam movement first. OOOOOCHHHHH. No comp and any cylinder is nothing to do with ECU or shut down or anything else electical, and I doubt the cams stopped with all valves left open either. Inspect cam drive. Regards Peter
sick 535i - lazza
thanks Peter D and Oldman. I'll pass this on to him. It's all doom and gloom at the mo!