Repair or scrap? - peach
Please help me decide...
I have a 95 Cavalier with just under 68k on the clock. It is in good condition with a nice set of alloy wheels too.
I have just replaced the heater matrix (£250), the exhaust (£155) and it has failed its MOT. I needed cv boots and brake pipe on rear. Garage quoted £158, but has since informed me that shoes needed replacing too at extra £80 -90. Then I get another call, cylinders are gone too - overall I need to spend £350.
He has done cv boots £90 and reckons another £100 to get through MOT bare minimum.

We have just moved to the area - public transport costs £6.50 a week less than petrol, and that's just the school run. It is a big car, tax is high etc. Should I fix and sell with MOT? or pay the man £90 and scrap? Or sell as is? Or keep and spend £350?

What should I do - I am stuck on this one. Please answer soon, I need to let mr mechanic know.....

thanks in advance
Repair or scrap? - Avant
Is this mechanic a friend or known to you? I really think you should get a second opinion on this as he may be taking advantage of you. Either way get a firm estimate of what the whole exercise is going to cost, and also ask if possible what the car is worth (assuming a new MOT certificate) so that you can make your decision.

And then you need to think:

- how big a car do you need?
- how many miles you'll do a year (for example, is this a second car or your only one?)
- how reliable is the public transport?
- if you decide to change, what's your budget? If you want to spend £1,000 or less, you may be better off hanging on to the Cavalier as anything else will be a gamble.

Good luck!
Repair or scrap? - peach
Right, the mechanic was recommended by my next door neighbour (he is an AA man). He did the heater matrix (went a week after I moved across country) - quoted me £300 and did it for £250 - nice surprise. Got a quote for heater matrix from old trusted mechanic - he said £220 - so fairly comparable.

Got a price from Parkers private good £350.

I don't actually need a car - I live in Croydon, public transport is excellent, school is on direct bus route from my street, if I were to work I wpould use the bus - parking is expensive. I do 4 trips to school and back a day at the cost of £20 a week in petrol. Bus ticket would cost £13.50.

This is the second car. My husband drives a Honda Civic - a K reg with only 69k. It is cheaper to run, insure and tax, although mine is better looking and more comfy. If we travel up country, we use the cavalier - more room.

If I got rid, I wouldn't replace it. Still don't know what to do...

I suppose I will either sell in good nick, or sell in bad nick or scrap... what do you think is the best option?

regards
Repair or scrap? - bell boy
cars worth £395 with mot, pay the bill £350 tops no more---- or walk -----and run car for 3 months,if you find you can live without car after 3 months you have created a breathing space with a car that has a saleable 9 months mot and still worth £395.

ok?
Repair or scrap? - Avant
Yes, I agree with Oldman. Assuming the mechanic is OK, still get a firm estimate from him of what it will cost to get through the MOT.

Depending on the result, as you say, flog it in repaired or unrepaired condition, and maybe save for a Honda Accord to replace the Civic eventually.
Repair or scrap? - peach
Thanks guys, I think I will get it through the MOT and then sell.

Thank you