Rover L series diesel - ib33
Hi, Can any forum members offer advice to what these engines are like, reliability, DIY maintenance especially cam belt replacement?
Seen a 400 model in a local dealers that looks like good value motoring just don't want to buy a major headache!
Regards, Ian
Rover L series diesel - 659FBE
Good engine within its limitations of smoke and lack of refinement. Cam belt drive system is excellent in terms of durability, being engineered by Perkins.

I assume you're buying the car as well as the engine? I would be less impressed with the longer term prospects of the car in terms of rust and parts availability. PSA diesel is the best option, in whatever car you can put up with - outer panels galvanised.

Rover L series diesel - daveyK_UK
great engine.

that wont be the problem

its the electircs on the rest of the car which are a pain.
Rover L series diesel - Morgie
Generally acknowledged to be pretty much bullet proof among those in the know, although not the most refined in its class. Good performance and MPG. I have the uprated 115ps version in my R45 and it'll do 0-60 in under 10 secs and still return 50mpg on the combined cycle. It is also very amenable to further tuning so check out www.45zs.info for all you need to know about getting the most from the L series. Site created by a Rover Diesel guru from Scotland called, not surprisingly, Rover_Ron