MOT failure points - computerised system - Chris S
Does anybody know if MOT failure points are recorded on computer under the new system. If I took my car to another garage would they know about them?

PS While we're on the subject of MOTs does anybody know the maximum number of handbrake clicks before it's considered to have excess movement?
MOT failure points - computerised system - sierraman
First Q-don't know.
Second Q-there is no maximum number of clicks,it is a myth.The h/brake is assessed by how much it travels,if it is up in the air,too much,if it barely moves ,too little.Fairly subjective,one testers fail could be anothers pass.
MOT failure points - computerised system - martint123
Yes, failure points are recorded. Garages can check now, memebers of the public soon.

"The facility to check the MOT history of the vehicle will be available later this year. It will provide full test details for all the tests undertaken on the vehicle since the system was computerised. Information related to any advisory items recoded at the time of an MOT test together with the milages recorded at each Computerised MOT test will also be available as part of this service. We hope that this will encourage motorists to obtain the test history of vehicles before buying so they can make a more informed decision on the suitability of the vehicle."

MOT failure points - computerised system - bell boy
Does anybody know if MOT failure points are recorded on computer
under the new system. If I took my car to
another garage would they know about them?
PS While we're on the subject of MOTs does anybody know
the maximum number of handbrake clicks before it's considered to have
excess movement?

every car is different but a handbrake cable done up too tight could lock the wheels on a speed bump etc as the axle drops or if excessive travel could fail to hold the vehicle on a steep incline,its therefore up to the individual tester to asses a pass or fail on his judgement but has to pass the rolling road test first.

with regards the checking of the mot history any car that has been through the computerised test can have the relevant information read via the vosa website ,you need the registration, the mot serial number ,or the v5c referance number .
you can do this check today.

--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
MOT failure points - computerised system - 3T
just had mine tested
tester has told me that aswell as any fail ponits being recorded, any advisory points are also recorded too- there will soon be no way to hide a cars history even if you wanted to!
Got to be good news for buyers and good for those of us who keep a car up together.
MOT failure points - computerised system - Vansboy
As Martin 123 shows, there is the TINY part missing from the text (as I'm sure some Government accountant will think off) ....
'there will be a nominal fee charged for this information'!!

VB
MOT failure points - computerised system - Civic8
>>'there will be a nominal fee charged for this information'!!

well not mentioned on site as yet,but could possibly be later on?

As for handbrake no mention on minimum travel, but does mention travel exceeding to max which is a failure,under this and rear brakes effective then a pass
--
Steve
MOT failure points - computerised system - none
With an auto adjusting handbrake the number of clicks doesn't matter. It's the reserve travel that counts. If the handbrake effort reaches the minimum required (16%) and the handbrake lever doesn't reach the end of it's travel it should pass. Different rules apply to older cars with single circuit braking systems and manually adjusted brakes.
A car presented at station A and failed can be presented without any repairs being carried out at station B and passed. The computerised system passes on information, but doesn't know if the repairs have been done until the last tester reports. As open to abuse as the old system was.