MPG!! - Fiesta 1.6 Zetec S diesel - Daltonam
I have had a new Fiesta 1.6 Zetec S diesel for just over a month and am very pleased with it. However I have not been able to come close to the fuel consumption figures quoted by Ford. The company state 54mpg urban; 72mpg extra urban and 64mpg combined but I can manage only 53.7mpg combined. I drive 10m to work, largely uninterrupted, on rural roads and rarely need to use the brakes. My last car was an Alfa 147 with which I obtained 33 mpg over 3 yrs (Alfa state 31mpg overall). The Fiesta engine seems to run well. Is it normal for a company's consumption figures to be so far from reality or might there be a problem with this car?
MPG!! - Roberson
Is it normal for
a company's consumption figures to be so far from reality
or might there be a problem with this car?

Yes. Quite common I?m lead to believe and its quite well documented on here I think, do a forum search and see what you can find.

Your answer to why its 'low' is in your first sentence. If the car is brand new with low miles, then it won't be run-in yet, and MPG will only increase when the running process is complete.

Don?t worry, there?s probably nothing wrong
MPG!! - Fiesta 1.6 Zetec S diesel - kal
YOu need to give it at least 5-10,000 miles to run in properly. If its your own car its also advisable to change the engine oil more frequently as well, the car will last longer. Still 54mpg is not bad.
MPG!! - Fiesta 1.6 Zetec S diesel - Dynamic Dave
If its your own car its also advisable to change the engine oil more frequently as well...

But not for the 1st year or 10,000 miles, otherwise it can lead to the engine not running in properly and ending up with a high oil consumption.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=13
MPG!! - Fiesta 1.6 Zetec S diesel - daveyjp
My dad has covered 4,000 miles in his 1.4 TDCi Zetec from new, computer was showing 47.8 mpg average last time I drove it - not bad when teaching people to drive. BTW he's covered this in less than 6 weeks!
MPG!! - Fiesta 1.6 Zetec S diesel - Group B
Is it normal for a company's consumption figures to be so >>far from reality or might there be a problem with this car?

In addition to the above comments on running in.
This was discussed in CAR magazine a few months ago. The manufacturers mpg figures are produced to a European standard test method, with the car on a test rig in a laboratory. In real world driving there are so many variables the test cannot account for; road conditions, weather conditions, weight of passengers and luggage, and the driving style of the driver, etc.
The figures are only really intended as a relative comparison between cars, and CAR stated that it is pot luck whether you will achieve these figures yourself...

:o)

MPG!! - Fiesta 1.6 Zetec S diesel - oldtoffee
I doubt if there's anything wrong with the car and I'd be more than a little happy about 54mpg in real world conditions. For every 1,000 miles you drive in it you're getting a free tank of fuel compared to fuelling the Alfa. It will improve over time, you need to drive it to work and back 500 times before it loosens up properly and gives you maybe 10% better economy. Run it in positively using the advice in HJ's FAQs so that you don't end up with a tight engine.
MPG!! - Fiesta 1.6 Zetec S diesel - sack o'spanners
Whether the car companies like it or not, the published fuel economy figures are those measured on the EU specified drive cycle used for certifying the car meets legislated emissions (EU Sage 4 etc). As such, all manufactuters optimise the engine emissions & fuel consumption for this fixed drive cycle on a rolling road in specified conditions (air temp, humidity) using a standard vehicle that has been thoroughly checked ( brake pads clear of discs, toe-in, tyre pressures etc). Good luck to anyone who can match or beat that!
MPG!! - Fiesta 1.6 Zetec S diesel - Daltonam
Thanks very much for your replies, everyone.