Return from Val D'Isere - ubidenmark
Just got back in from a week in Val d'Isere where snow chains, thankfully, were not required in spite of the fact that it snowed for three days out of six.

My wife and I hired a Fiat Punto from Europcar at Lyon Airport. First time I'd had much exposure to a turbo diesel engine and this one initially disappointed. It had a heavy duty, truck-like, six speed gearbox containing several ratios which didn't seem to have much discernible effect on progress. 5th and 6th both felt considerably overdriven and 4th not much better either. 3rd seemed to be the only gear in which any form of "defensive acceleration" might be available. Coupled with an inordinately long throttle pedal travel the Punto wasn't the most responsive little car I've ever driven. Probably the fact that I'm more used to a big, multi-valve, petrol lump had a lot to do with it. By the return journey I'd learned to use much bigger throttle openings in each gear and it bowled along merrily from Val to Lyon St Exupery in three hours without feeling hammered.

Incidentally, this was one unlucky little motor car, leaving aside the horrible "enamel mustard" paint job. In the space of a week it pickled up a parking ticket, got towed away and got shunted in a car park by some Christian soul's 4x4 (tell tale bumper height), the driver of which naturally did not delay him or herself to leave details. (Second time a 4x4 has done that to me actually. The first a good Samaritan witness left the details on my windscreen and I was eventually able to involve the police and recover my costs.) The parking ticket, recovery fee and storage amounted to a sobering 137 Euros. The minor shunt damage is theoretically insured although time will tell whether the collision damage waiver and excess waiver is worth anything. Comically, I wasn't able to pay the parking fine in France ! The Tabac didn't sell des timbres and the Poste wasn't open any time I was available. Giving up skiing time to pay a parking fine is not in my order of priorities. I'll have to send them a cheque in Euros to settle it.

However, with low French fuel duty rates we completed the round trip of over 400Km on half a tank of gas for 28 Euros. A quite incredible feat of economy. After adjusting my driving style and expectations it became quite a well liked, roomy, practical and well equipped tourer.