Mk1 Leon temp gauge & fuel gauge - andymc {P}
Both the fuel gauge and temperature gauge have been intermittently faulty for a while now - I had the dealer run a diagnostic check and the fuel gauge sender needs to be replaced (fault code 00771 030 - open circuit or short to positive), as does the coolant temperature sender (code 01039 030 - open circuit or short to positive). Also, the steering angle sender has a sporadic fault (00778 014), which may explain why the car tends to drift left when I let go of the wheel, even though I've had the alignment checked.
Wasn't too worried about it all until yesterday when the fuel gauge showed empty on start-up, even though I knew I had about three quarters of a tank - don't want to end up guessing how much fuel is left or trying to keep note of how many miles since the last fill, so, a few questions about all this:

How easy are these for a competent mechanic to fix - is it just a question of replacing the bits, or is the software required, leaving me stuck going to the main dealer?
What am I likely to end up paying for the work to be done?
Is it a dash-out only job for these, or are other parts of engine/trim likely to be removed?
I ask that last bit because firstly it may add to the cost, secondly I don't fancy enduring the rattles and squeaks of poorly replaced trim etc afterwards. Something else happened with the brake pads/disks which I'll post about elsewhere, so I'm feeling a bit glum about my car right now - hoping it doesn't fall prey to any more electronic gremlins ...

TIA
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Mk1 Leon temp gauge & fuel gauge - howard
I can only comment on the temperature gauge fault as my wifes 2001 Golf 1,6 had an intermittant problem with a temp. gauge, reading zero sometimes when at operating temperature, and then a little later, reading correctly.
I took a guess and decided to change the temp sender in the cooling system - it took about an hour or so for me to replace it,(about a tenner for the part I think), and I would guess for a mechanic familiar with your model, to take a lot less than that! (I couldn't even find the sender for a while!) - No re-programming necessary and the gauge works perfectly to this day!
Good luck with the other queries.