01 auto box failure - advice? - dylan
A colleague recently had a major failure of the auto box on her Mercedes A class. The car is a Y reg (2001) with around 50k miles, so out of warranty. According to the Merc dealer, the auto box needs to be replaced, but so far they're ruling out any contribution from Mercedes towards the cost. The car was bought nearly new from the Mercedes dealer, and has full Merc service history.

My colleague is talking to Mercedes direct now, but no joy so far.

Any advice about getting Mercedes to pay at least something towards the cost? Alternatively, if she can't get Mercedes to cough up, any advice on the cheapest way to get the auto box fixed/replaced in the Berkshire/Hampshire area?

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 12/01/2008 at 20:55

Merc auto box failure - advice? - Bill Payer
He could get the job done the sue the dealer (in the small claims court - doesn't cost much) he bought it off (after asking them to fix it, of course) under the sale of goods act, although the age of the car may be a bit against him.
Merc auto box failure - advice? - MVP
My brother received great service from King Automatics, The Chalk Pit, College Road, Epsom, Surrey, tel: 01372 728769. which is recommended on this site.

The final price actually came in lower than the estimate - rare honesty!

Mark
Merc auto box failure - advice? - AgentSmith77
heard these guys are good, and are in Reading:
www.3d-transmissions.co.uk/
Merc auto box failure - advice? - Xileno {P}
I don't think she will have any luck with the small claims, car is too old.
Merc auto box failure - advice? - HensTeeth
Unless you can make a fuss and use the sale of goods act and say that it hasn't lasted a reasonable length of time:

money.guardian.co.uk/howtocomplain/story/0,,1738830,00.html

Good luck!

Toby
Exactly - and the DTI guide is here: www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm

I've had a couple of things fixed outside of guarantee - remember that is 'in addition to your statutory rights'. I've never actually used the small claims court - once big companies realise you've got some idea about what you're doing they usually back down. I gather that it's typical that even if you do get to court, they typically back down immediately before the case comes up.

I think a used car that's 5 yrs old may be a little borderline, but most people's expectation is that the auto-transmission (especially in a car where you pay more for alleged quality) would last 8-10 yrs. If the car has to be fixed, and MB won't pay, then there isn't much to lose anyway.

Merc auto box failure - advice? - markengland
I realise its outside the area you mentioned, but MercAid in Basildon, Essex are supposed to be reasonable. They are a main dealer alternative.
Merc auto box failure - advice? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Having read this report

www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index...m

I think it is fair to say Mercedes + A Class does not = Quality
Merc auto box failure - advice? - Aprilia
That's not a totally comprehensive list actually. He fails to mention that the variable-displacement air-con compressors on the A-Class are prone to early failure (£800 job). Also they are VERY difficult to work on - to replace the alternator belt you have to lower the complete engine subframe assembly - I kid you not!
I bought two A-Class at auction a couple of years ago and soon learned the error of my ways. It can only be the badge that holds up the used prices of these cars. I am similarly wary of any used Merc CDI after a nasty experience with a siezed glowplug in an auction-bought C-class. You just can't take anything for granted, even if the miles are sensible and the history is good.
Merc auto box failure - advice? - dylan
Thanks everyone. I've passed on the info and will let you know what happens.
Merc auto box failure - advice? - dylan
Just to wrap this up, after much wrangling my colleague managed to persuade Mercedes to pay approx. 60% of the bill for replacing the gearbox, bringing it down from an eye-watering £3000 to a merely expensive £1200.

Just to wrap this up, after much wrangling my colleague managed
to persuade Mercedes to pay approx. 60% of the bill for
replacing the gearbox, bringing it down from an eye-watering £3000 to
a merely expensive £1200.

I'm guessing that if they'd offered 60% at the beginning then most people would be happy with that. The frustrating thing is that MB probably put your colleague through £1800 worth of stress to reach that conclusion.