MOT smoke test - Mazda 323TD - Galad
Guys - My 2002 Mazda 323TD has just failed the N Ireland MOT because the smoke readings exceeded the limits by a wide margin (avg 8.7m-1). My local franchised Mazda dealer prepared the car for me (£600, including new timing belt!) and they will be taking the car in again for adjustment/retest. My question is can they reduce the readout down to 3.0m-1 simply by adjustment or am I looking at a major part replacement?
MOT smoke test - Mazda 323TD - Dynamic Dave
Did you give it for an "italian tuneup" (a forum search will reveal more) prior to taking it for the MOT?

Also, when did it last have an oil & filter change, and air filter change?
MOT smoke test - Mazda 323TD - Galad
The car was given a full major service by a Mazda franchised dealer the day before the test. It set me back £600, including a new timing belt. What galls me is that the dealer doesn't seem to have the necessary equipment to regulate exhaust emissions to within statutory limits!
MOT smoke test - caesar
stick in some fuel additve and once warm rev the hell out of it.
Thats what i think they will do,could be a mile from the truth though!!
MOT smoke test - Galad
This is beginning to make lots of sense. When I brought the car back to the Mazda dealer who prepared it fior MOT he admitted that the indsurty in N Ireland has ben caught napping by the new wmissions tests and a number are still waiting to take delivery of smoke meters! meanwhile, it now seems that the excerssive smoke from my exhaust was due to the car being used mostly for slow urban journeys casuing a build up of soot in the exhaust system which, ironically, has now been cleaned out thanks to the 5000 rev thrashing the MOT insepctor gave it last night! I still have to pay for a retest though :-(
MOT smoke test - AndyT
Sales of Cataclean have taken off in my local area of N.Ireland, due to the word-of-mouth recommendations of reduced smoke.

For those on mainland UK, this test has just been introduced in N.Ireland, and quickly re-hashed to exclude the testing of diesels prior to 2001 (which now just get a visual check), apparently due to health and safety reasons...
MOT smoke test - RichardW
Wish they would re-hash it over here, so they didn't have to rev the nuts off my cars every year. Makes me physically wince listening to it! Hardly a representative test either!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
MOT smoke test - Railroad.
Why they have to rev the engine right up to the governor limit is totally beyond me. Nobody ever drives like that, and it doesn't do the engine any good to rev it without any load on it....
MOT smoke test - ziggy
Why they have to rev the engine right up to the
governor limit is totally beyond me. Nobody ever drives like that,
and it doesn't do the engine any good to rev it
without any load on it....

They are testing the integrity of the timing belt.

MOT smoke test - AndyT
Further to my previous post about what I had heard about the positive effects of Cataclean on diesel emmissions, I have now had hands-on experience of using a different additive, namely Fuchs Titan Smokeclean/clear? diesel treatment.

My job in part, involves smoke testing buses and keeping records of these tests.

On two seperate buses, both of the same type and about 15-20 yrs old (Leyland TL11 engine I believe), the before and after tests resulted in a reduction on one bus of 3.2 down to 1.1, and the other 2.5 down to 0.5.

The second bus tested was previously failing the PSV smoke test, as their machine reads between 0.5-1.0 higher than ours. It went on to pass on the first rev after the treatment!

Both were given our usual warm-up run on our hilly test route before each test.

MOT smoke test - adverse camber
Im not familiar with the 323 but on some diesels the injection timing is mechanically controlled (eg a seperate belt that drives the pump) and there is plenty of scope for incorrect adjustment of the pump to cause problems. If the dealer has just replaced the timing belt then I would have thought that they will have had an impact on the injection timing.