Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - uk2usa
Well, I bought this 3 yr old Hyundai Elantra a few months ago. This is my second Hyundai since coming to the US. Very impressed so far. Yes it is a little dull and has a lot of grey plastic inside. But every morning it starts on the first crank, and in 10k miles I've put on it so far, hasn't missed a beat. I think they are almost up with the Japanese in terms of quality and reliability, and they are selling like hotcakes over here. Don't understand the UK dislike of these cars. Clarkson routinely rips into them, although he is not the only one. Is a nice interior and trendy badge really more important than reliability?
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - Roly93
The Western European car-buyer has different car buying criteria to the American buyer generally. The American car market is all about maximum number of toys/extras and big engines, whereas the majority of Western european buyers value build-quality above all else in a car. Whilst I think some people are just badge-snobs, I buy a quality German marque because the quality experience over time is superior to the offerings from say Renault, GM and Ford. Clarkson is right to rip into these cars, as they are '3 year wonders', ie okay for 3 years or so but going rapidly downhill from there on, whilst the quality European car will look and drive well long after this.
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - T Lucas
Most people that say that the Korean cars are just cheap junk have never driven one and dont like them because thats the thing to say.
I think that with brands like Kia and Hyundai you are getting very good value for money,reliability,dealers that care about their punters and an overall pain free ownership experience.
At the moment they are not competing head on with the 'quality German marques'BMW and Mercedes but they certainly are nicking sales from everyone else and will continue to grow in all areas.
I have a friend that has a Kia franchise and he really is making a fortune,and that is rare in todays motor trade.
It is very easy to be dismissive of these cars,but just like Nissan and Toyota in the 1960s,they are not going to go away.
Who would of thought 20 years ago that Toyota would produce cars that compete with 'quality German marques'and nick loads of sales from them?
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - Altea Ego
"Who would of thought 20 years ago that Toyota would produce cars that compete with 'quality German marques'and nick loads of sales from them?"

Sorry? what ones are those then?

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - artful dodger {P}
I have a friend that has a Kia franchise and he really is making a fortune,and that is rare in todays motor trade.

Recently my wife wanted to change her car. After checking several dealers for nearly new secondhand cars she liked the Kia Rio (initially looking at the Picanto). We were lucky to find a three and a half month old Rio (new shape) with only 2500 miles on the clock. Before the test drive we also looked at the car in the showroom which was for sale new. Upon our return we agreed to buy the nearly new one. What surprised us was that during out test drive the car in the showroom was sold, and another Rio on the phone to another buyer. This was a Saturday late morning in mid February, and we collected our car on Monday late afternoon. By this time the Picanto in the showroom was also sold.

It was only recently that my wife let me drive the Rio. It certainly is very quiet and smooth. There was plenty of power for her type of driving - young daughter to after school activities, work and shopping. The equipment level was more than adequate and certainly better than her old car. My only gripe is I find the seats a little to firm, although the driver's seat has plenty of ways to adjust it.

My opinion is that over time the top European brands will be squeezed by the quality and reliability of the Far Eastern manufacturers. Thinking back to the days of the Datsun Cherry, which was a rubbish car, the overall quality has now risen dramatically. The profitability of Far Eastern manufacturers will certainly be far higher than their European competitors, meaning more funding will be available for research and development. I doubt if they will replace the European brands, but feel many of them will be forced into amalgamation of floorpan design with body and badge engineering.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
You are just confirming what my friend says about his Kia franchise,he is earning shedloads of cash with really happy contented customers who are more than happy to recommend the brand to family and friends.
Have to disagree about the Datsun Cherry (100A),think back to what else was available at the time,the Cherry was a great little car,reliable,easy to drive,well equipped and a great price and for the Datsun dealers of the time it made a lot of money.
Downside was they could develop some nasty rust quite quickly,but i think that was all sorted after about 1984.
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - Tomo
Well, well.....

Hyundai, the 'three year wonder' with the 5 year warranty!
Well, well.....
Hyundai, the 'three year wonder' with the 5 year warranty!

The 5 year warranty is just a ruse to make sure that the dealers get service revenues, it doesnt mean that the cars are any better because of this.
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - carl_a
>>
The Western European car-buyer has different car buying criteria to the
American buyer generally. The American car market is all about maximum
number of toys/extras and big engines, whereas the majority of Western
european buyers value build-quality above all else in a car. Whilst
I think some people are just badge-snobs, I buy a quality
German marque because the quality experience over time is superior to
the offerings from say Renault, GM and Ford. Clarkson is right
to rip into these cars, as they are '3 year wonders',
ie okay for 3 years or so but going rapidly downhill
from there on, whilst the quality European car will look and
drive well long after this.

I don't think that conatins anything that true, firstly Americans are the ones that look at build quality (thats why Toyota and Honda are the best selling cars in the USA). Europenas look more towards style not build quality, they may look at percevied quality but that is very different from build quality.

German cars are not that well built, Japanese, South Korean are superior. European manufacturers may sell lots of cars here but they don't make much if any profit.
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - Stuartli
>>German cars are not that well built,>>

Oh really....

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
>>German cars are not that well built,>>
Oh really....

Yeah really.

I could of course provide you with lots of statistics to prove that they are not as good as the asian companies. Could you provide me with evidence that they are well built compared to others ?
Yeah really.
I could of course provide you with lots of statistics to
prove that they are not as good as the asian companies.
Could you provide me with evidence that they are well built
compared to others ?

Japanese and Asian cars in general lack the solidity and the feeling of solidity of German cars which is what I think most peole mean by well built.
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - Peter S
My interpretation of the current situation (and its just my opinion) is that German cars tend to be well built (ie solidly assembled), using high quality materials/components on the bits you can touch and see, with some savings made in other areas, hence the minor electrical/mechanical niggles that can cause irritation to some owners/drivers.

The Asian approach, led by Japan and followed to a greater or lesser degree by the others, seems to be to make cars that are well built by using high quality components, giving very few electrical or mechanical problems, with savings made on the trim/design (ie the bits you see and touch everyday...)

The Germans have also, in the past at least, seemed more willing to innovate (Audi's aluminium A2, BMW's I-Drive, MB ABS, Bosch ESP etc), with the noteable exception of Toyota's hybrid technology, but sometimes leave their customers to do the final testing on these innovations!

Just my thoughts on the situation...

Peter
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - caesar

I could of course provide you with lots of statistics to prove that they are not as good as the asian companies. Could you provide me with evidence that they are well built compared to others ?

Yeah go on then.
Show us which asian cars are better built than german ones.
Or are you another one that doesnt know the differance between build and reliabillity?
Yeah go on then.
Show us which asian cars are better built than german ones.
Or are you another one that doesnt know the differance between
build and reliabillity?

Perhaps caesar I do know what it means and some of you actually do not?

Many of you seem to be confusing build quality with the aesthetics and feel of the product, if a product feels solid that does not mean it is built well.
Could you provide me with evidence that they are well built compared to others ?>>

My 1999 VW Bora for a start...:-)

It weighs 89kgs more than my son's TDCI engined Focus and just 15kg less than my best mate's recently departed Mondeo 1.8 LX.

At six years old it looks as good as the day it came off the production line, is built like the proverbial brick --- house and will probably be still going long after I've departed the planet.

My previous 1990 Jetta 1.6 TX is still occasionally spotted around the area and is well into a six-figure mileage.

Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - jase1
The Lada Riva was heavier than other similar cars of its time -- does that make it well built as well?
To use a slightly different tack. If you buy a power supply unit for a computer (PSU), one of the guiding lights of the inbuilt quality (apart from the price) is its weight.

Avoid lightly built models if you need a seriously capable PSU.
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - bell boy
I thought power supplies were all going high tech with coil windings no longer required?
Still works for speakers though the bigger the magnet the more bass....man.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Is a nice interior and trendy badge really more important
than reliability?

When someone else is picking up the tab, as is the case with company cars, then the answer is yes! And given that the interior of the car is the bit you see the most, why not?

Don't forget also that these cars tend to depreciate much more rapidly than more mainstream cars, meaning that the difference in monthly cost (whether lease or pcp etc) might not be that great... All just IMO. I personally would rather buy a secondhand mainstream or 'prestige' brand than a new Korean one, if I was in that position, but I can see if you want cheap, risk free (relatively) motoring they make perfect sense. But since when has buying a car been a rational decison ;-)

Peter
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - Dude - {P}
I know some on this forum are not Clarkson fans, I happen to think some of his descriptions are hilarious.

For example he recently wrote an article on Good & Bad cars in the Sunday press, and regarding Korean cars said that "He would sooner climb into Mark Oaten than into a Kia Rio"!!!!!!!!
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - Armitage Shanks {p}
If these Korean cars are so marvellous, I have no views one way or the other, why have they re-branded them as Chevrolets and is this necessarily an improvement?
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - blue_haddock
I know when on the few occasions i have quoted people on things like Kia's for contract hire the rates ahve been astronimical as the lease companies don't get big discounts and they give them very low RV's. In fact one of the leasing companies i use don't even have kia on the system.

For example on a 3 year 60k lease fully maintained a Hyundai Sante Fe 2.0TD CDX is £338.91 and a new shape XT3 2.2 D4D Rav4 is only £316.81 despite being the best part of £2000 more expensive.
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - Manatee
I'm sure Roly93 speaks for himself.

If you're buying a car with your own money and you can find the right car in the range, then Korean cars loook like a sensible choice to me. Though I might watch Jeremy Clarkson for entertainment, I certainly wouldn't let let him choose my cars for me - he inhabits another world, and his opinion is of no value in the real one.
TVM,you must have heard of that upstart,new kid on the block called Lexus.
Indeed, and I dont see many ex MB or BMW drivers around in those. Dont hear MB or BMW moaning about lost sales to them either

In the UK that is.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - Adam {P}
I think now that Lexus are making cars very nice to look at too, a few people might defect.

"now that Lexus are making cars very nice to look at"

when are they planning to do that?

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I see the laser eye surgery was worth every penny.
or the beige tinted spectacles
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Touche. ;-)
Which, dragging this back to the topic, means that

All Korean cars (with one exception) are pig ugly.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - netlang
I had some time to kill before a meeting this week and stumbled on a small Kia dealer (I have no knowledge of these cars whatsoever). I was walking around looking at the different models and was astounded to see the number of people waiting to speak with a salesman. It would appear they are very popular with taxi drivers.

As a product they are certainly selling well
TVM,i guess you would be surprised at how much effort Lexus UK put into poaching BMW/Mercedes drivers in the UK,and it works.Look around,theres lots of Lexus out there,and just for a laugh,next time you see a new Lexus ask the driver what he was driving previously.
I have, and not BMW or MB. The effort was a waste of time. They sell for sure but not to BMW or MB drivers.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Given that in 2005 Lexus shifted a little over 10,000 units (source SMMT), and BMW, Audi and MB managed a combined 275,000 units, I'd say they still have some way to go...

Peter
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - Manatee
Given that in 2005 Lexus shifted a little over 10,000 units
(source SMMT), and BMW, Audi and MB managed a combined 275,000
units, I'd say they still have some way to go...
Peter

If you believe that Lexus are as good or better than BMW/Mercedes then you might say this shows they are buying the badge - not a great insight I'll admit - and that Lexus need to put more effort into image instead of wasting their time making the cars better.

If you believe that Lexus are as good or better than
BMW/Mercedes then you might say this shows they are buying the
badge - not a great insight I'll admit - and that
Lexus need to put more effort into image instead of wasting
their time making the cars better.

I'd agree, people are buying the image associated with the badge, to a degree. But this is true for an awful lot of products and services. And while Lexus undoubtedly make technically competent cars, they have not succeeded in positioning it as a premium brand in the eyes of the customers they are targeting. Perhaps its because we all know that the previous IS, GS and LS were all rebadged Toyotas, already sold in Japan.

Now that Lexus has been launched as stand-alone brand in Japan, perhaps this perception will change. It'll take time to sort out the image though; Skoda managed in a short period of time, yet it took Audi years. Rover failed altogether...

All just IMHO...
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - bell boy
hyundai"s i have said before are basic cars but good cars the parts are still dear though like for like because you nearly always have to go to the dealer, the maximum discount i have received is always 10%, not a lot when a headlight for a compareable ford can be had for £35 and the hyundai one is £125.

--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - hillman
J.Clarkson makes his living by being controversial, not factual.
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - Sprice
Nah, Clarkson just makes the facts sound controversial!
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - J Bonington Jagworth
"in 2005 Lexus shifted a little over 10,000 units"

But over 300,000 (more than MB) in the US! A friend of mine switched from MB some years ago, but lets his wife keep an SLK to go shopping...
I like MB and BMW,i also like Kias,especially the Picanto,its a really good package at a very low price,but when i'm spending my own hardearned its usually Toyota.So at the moment we are running 2 Toyotas and a Honda Civic that do the job very well without any dramas.
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - Aprilia
The Koreans didn't start from scratch. Hyundai was originally set up as a joint venture with Mitsubishi (as was Proton) - so a lot of the technology is essentially Mitsubishi. The engine management systems are virtually identical, for example, so much so that an idle stepper motor from an older Mitsi fits a new Hyundai!
Many of the senior engineering staff working for the Koreans are actually Japanese - the Korean industry offers a 'second career' for early-retired Japanese automotive engineers (in much the same way as early-retired Japanese electronics engineers work for the Taiwanese electronics industry).

I can assure TVM that if he visits the 'competitor analysis' labs of BMW and MB he will find their engineers crawling all over Lexus, Accura and Infiniti products. In terms of the standard of engineering Lexus are pretty much the world's number one. The quality of the products and attention to detail, for the price, is breathtaking. MB and BMW know this and know that they are living on borrowed time in Europe (the US is already a stong market for the premium Japanese brands).
They are all fine cars though, and there is probably room in the market for all of them.

As regards the Koreans, I think the trim lets them down a bit and Oldman is 100% right about parts costs - its a killer (down to the UK importers being greedy, I suspect). Mind you, I have to say that these cars are not the bargains they once were. The Kia Rio, for example, is not exactly cheap - especially in petrol form.
Oh I dont doubt they get "torn down"

Having worked in IT tear down (Its exactly the same principle) I know how that works down to the nearest cent in every respect.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - mss1tw
Having worked in IT tear down (Its exactly the same principle)
I know how that works down to the nearest cent in
every respect.

Thread 'hijack' (Motoring related)

What systems?
Thread 'hijack' (Motoring related)

What systems?

We only tore down high volume product lines. There is no need for the full costed process in other lower volume high value lines. So it was PC, ATM's, POS,

However in various other roles I have had in bits every commercial system you could name in the last 30 years from 360 machines to sun e1000

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
>>Hyundai was originally set up as a joint venture with Mitsubishi (as was Proton) - so a lot of the technology is essentially Mitsubishi>>

The Kia Pride of the early 1990s was basically a Mazda 121 and was quite popular model in the UK that was well priced; Kia made other models based on (Ford) Mazda cars that were sold under the Ford name in the States and some other areas.

Hyundai bought Kia out six years ago.

Full details of Hyundai's various models and brands at:

tinyurl.com/42guh

and Kia at:

tinyurl.com/qqpad
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - jc2
>>Hyundai was originally set up as a joint venture with Mitsubishi (as was Proton) - so a lot of the technology is essentially Mitsubishi>> The Kia Pride of the early 1990s was basically a Mazda 121 and was quite popular model in the UK that was well priced; Kia made other models based on (Ford) Mazda cars that were sold under the Ford name in the States and some other areas. Hyundai bought Kia out six years ago. Full details of Hyundai's various models and brands at: tinyurl.com/42guh and Kia at: tinyurl.com/qqpad - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - What\'s for you won\'t pass you by

I thought the 121 was basically a Fiesta!
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - bathtub tom
I thought the 121 was basically a Fiesta!

I understand the early versions of Mazda 121, Ford Festiva and Kia Pride were all the same car, built by Kia.

But over 300,000 (more than MB) in the US! ...

True, but then the Lexus brand was established specifically to establish Toyota's top-end models in the US market, a target which they have achieved through the reliability of the product and the level of customer service. Toyota realised they weren't going to do that with the Toyota brand...

They then tried to establish the brand outside the US, but the problem is, as US manufacturers have found out time and time again, cars designed for the US market do not sell in the UK. Hopefully the current generation of new Lexus products will have the exterior style and interior quality (or at least perceived quality) that UK consumers demand. No ones doubting the reliability (I don't think), but for many people a car is an emotional purchase as much as it is a rational one!

Peter
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - PhilDews
As the owner of a Hyundai Terracan, I can say that the Hyundai is well put together, if a little dated in its internal design. It has some very dodgy 'wood-like' trim, but it has climate control, 5 seats and a huge boot, it gets 30mpg and it will happily go over speed humps at 30 to 40mph with no discomfort to the front seat passengers.

Its much more comfortable than the 2002 golf gttdi that I had previously.

Reliability-wise - its got 35K on the clock (2004 regd), and I've done 15K of those. Only costs have been service (independent) £120, new brake pads £120. Its going to need a set of tyres soon, but then all cars do and £400 for a set that does 40K isn't bad.

Would I buy another? I'm just waiting for pics of the new terracan to come out, before looking at a PCP.

It might be called a skip on wheels by my work colleagues, but I'm very happy to be a hyundai owner.
------------------------------------------------
Drive Your Way - If anything can, TerraCan
-----
I'm sure Roly93 speaks for himself.
If you're buying a car with your own money and you
can find the right car in the range, then Korean cars
loook like a sensible choice to me.

I think you have to be careful not to confuse cheap purchase cost with overall cost of ownership. I've been down the route in the past of buying bargain cars, like the nearly new Citroen I bought for my wife a few years ago. It looks like a great idea at the time, but the depreciation is so huge (as it would be with your Korean car) it wipes out this initial saving. I have proved that wisely buying a low-depreciation European made car can in the long term, be just as cheap, and you have the quality experience to go with it.
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - mrmender
At the moment the only Hyundai that does anything for me is the coupe, In fact i'm seriously tempted by one
I think that the Hyundai advertising slogan of ' A car first a badge second' is very valid for this thread
Funny how one defines quality My own method may seem a bit extreem... But over the last few years i've ended up fitting about. 10 Tow bars to my own & friends & family's cars
This i think gives a good insight into how things are bolted together. Also you can see the first signs of rust
Worst Ford 1 X granada 2 x mondeo's rust starting & no wax treatments
Best VW'S Golfs X 2 & Passat fit of bumper fantastic & plenty of wax in cavities
Some where in between Nissan Primera estate good fit bit short on the wax though
The last 1 i did was my Rover 75 estate not bad at all certainly better than a mondeo
I know this is hardly representative of a quality survay, but it certainly puts foward a different idea instead of cabin quality being mentioned all the time
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - uk2usa
Interesting range of opinions here. I would say that reliability is a higher consideration to US buyers than in Europe. This i think is a reason that the big 3 are heamorrhaging (sp.?) sales to the Japanese and koreans currently. If it werent for massive discounting and sales to fleets/government, several US brands would be dead. In Europe, cars with questionable reliability continue to sell in huge volumes to private buyers (without wishing to offend anyone, Renault, Citroen, Fiat spring to mind). Im not sure about the "3 year wonder" that someone claimed Korean cars are. Hyundai USA offers a 10 yr warranty, if they didnt have confidence in their product, it would not make any financial sense to do so.
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - caesar
10 years warranty seems good.
What do you have to do to keep the warranty vallid?
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - Cardew
10 years warranty seems good.
What do you have to do to keep the warranty vallid?

It is 10 years/100,000miles on engine and drivetrain and 5 years for the rest.

I have a place in the USA and ie the county I live in Hyundai is the top selling car - bar none - with Kia not far behind.

The Hyundai dealer there does 'free tyres for life' or 'free oil changes for life'.

Virtually all the SUV's (Sante-Fe) are front wheel drive.

I believe the Sonata is based on the old model Camry, which was thye top selling Import a few years ago.
If Korean cars are 3-year wonders, how come the ten-year-old Hyundais I see have engines, electrics etc in better condition than equivalent Renaults and other Euroboxes?

And it has to be said that these cars have improved orders of magnitude in the meantime. The only issue Hyundai has with quality now is the plastics used in the trim, which can start to look tired and rattle after a few years.

Still, I hope this opinion continues, as it makes second-hand Korean cars ridiculously good value for money. A well-built essentially-Japanese car for a half to a third the price of an equivalent Volkswagen, and still with warranty remaining? Yeah you buy the VW if you like....
Also, having looked at the newest Korean (Hyundai/Kia) cars in the showroom recently I've noticed that the interiors have been improving dramatically of late.

The only ones with hard-touch dashboard plastics are the supermini-class ones (Getz, Amica, Accent, Rio, Picanto). The larger ones (Cerato, Elantra) are now using pretty decent quality materials in the main (more soft-touch than a Nissan, Mazda or Ford). And the Sonata, Coupe and new Santa Fe are really pretty good, the Sonata being far better inside than the similarly-priced Vectra or Primera IMO.

So they are making an effort, the older models (Accent mainly) are looking pretty desperate now inside compared to the others, but then that car is a 7 year old design which was cheap and dated even when it came out.

The point I'm making is that the traditional views on Korean cars are becoming as outmoded as the way people think of the Japanese cars. I can well understand people buying German cars as they are beautifully refined, but the logic of buying French and Italian for reasons of anything but image and style are becoming more and more strained when better quality cars from the Far East are all over the place.
Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - edlithgow

Thats 15 years ago. Nobody thinks so now.

Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - Avant

Agreed, of course. The thread was resurrected by a pathetic spammer.

Korean cars cheap junk? dont think so - edlithgow

Some passing historical interest, though.