FAQs - Speed Humps / Cushions / Bumps - Baldeagle
Hi Peeps, I am new to this marvellous site and was looking for an 'FAQ' section.

Having not found one and not being too successful with the site search I will try a question that I need some guidance on:

I have changed from a Honda CRV to a Mondeo TDCI hatchback (04) with 17" wheels and wide (ish) tyres. Speed humps were no problem in the CRV. How should they be driven over in the Mondeo? a. Evenly straddled with the centre of the car over the centre of the hump or b. One side off the hump - either in the middle or edge - the other side over the highest part of the hump?

TIA
FAQs - Speed Humps / Cushions / Bumps - AlastairW
Not sure on the best way to approach the hump, but you need to joins HJs Campaign Against Speed Humps (CASH).
FAQs - Speed Humps / Cushions / Bumps - nutty_nissan
The approach method is irrelevant as long as you are driving at a low enough speed!!! If you intend to drive quickly over them (as many 4x4 drivers do) in a Mondeo, your best bet is to align yourself up, so you go straight over the centre.
FAQs - Speed Humps / Cushions / Bumps - Manatee
If you're talking about the cushions or truncated pyramids, my technique is very slowly and one wheel on top, the other off. Reasoning being that (i) one wheel one each slope will inevitably wear the tyres excessively on the inside, and (ii) I am am not going to thump the dampers over the obstruction unless the council starts paying for replacements.

The fact that I do this at 5-10mph causes me some irritation, and a lot more to the following drivers of (I assume) company cars who are happy to hit them at 30mph anyway - not my problem, address all complaints to the idiots who decided to put them there.
FAQs - Speed Humps / Cushions / Bumps - Dynamic Dave
Having not found one and not being too successful with the
site search

Site search = anything not forum related.

Forum search = anything forum related. (just under where you log in/out)

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=33878
FAQs - Speed Humps / Cushions / Bumps - L'escargot
Are they really truly honestly a problem? I only come across one once in a blue moon. And then they're usually somewhere where your speed should be severly restricted anyway, such as in a retail park.
--
L\'escargot.
FAQs - Speed Humps / Cushions / Bumps - RichardM
Are they really truly honestly a problem? I only come across
one once in a blue moon. And then they're usually somewhere
where your speed should be severly restricted anyway, such as in
a retail park.
--
L\'escargot.

Lucky you then for not living in a left wing council run area.
FAQs - Speed Humps / Cushions / Bumps - sierraman
What annoys me with these things is that they do not work for the people who want to drive like loonies anyway,merely causing frustration to those who would drive within the limit but are forced to slow to 10-20 mph under it,with the consequent increase in fuel consumption and pollution.
FAQs - Speed Humps / Cushions / Bumps - Adam {P}
Sadly have to drive over 4 of these per journey at least. (The only road leading away from my house)

I always slow to 20 and take then perfectly aligned. In Dad's car you seem to be able to take them a 30 with relative ease. (But then his car is a big wallowy barge)
FAQs - Speed Humps / Cushions / Bumps - David Horn
On the mountain bike I'll try to jump them, in the car it's a 3mph creep over them.
FAQs - Speed Humps / Cushions / Bumps - cockle {P}
Lucky you then for not living in a left wing council
run area.

>>

I live in a Conservative run area in a Conservative run county and I'm afraid I have to disillusion you that road humps are politically biased, ours are plentiful and quite happily breeding like rabbits.
FAQs - Speed Humps / Cushions / Bumps - fossyant
What amazes me is... my initial mile from home is all speed bumps - approx 20 or so, of which about half are new following a re-surface. For what ever reason, my car will not comfortably go over them at more than 10 mph, which is fine, I don't want to wreck my suspension, and it's in a good cause (high child population and a school).

About three times now I've been overtaken by female drivers doing something in the region of 40mph in this area, right outside a school ? One was even in an urban kiddy transport Scenic ?

The cars are absolutely flying over these bumps, probably screwing the suspension up, but right outside a school ! Lunacy.

I dislike speed bumps, but generally they are there for a reason, although it only tends to apply to those of us who understand that hitting these things at speed does serious damage to suspension components !
FAQs - Speed Humps / Cushions / Bumps - Lud
I dislike speed bumps, but generally they are there for a
reason, although it only tends to apply to those of us
who understand that hitting these things at speed does serious damage
to suspension components !

They are there to slow the traffic down from its already slow urban speed. Usually there is no safety point whatsoever in placing these things in the road. People tend to think they are needed just because they are there. The naive assumption is that local authorities wouldn't put them there for no good reason.

There may be places where they are a good idea, but mostly they're just a nuisance.

If 'hitting these things at speed' (if that is what over 10mph means) does 'serious damage' to suspension components, the car simply isn't up to its job. Get a proper one.
Absolutely Lud. I often roll out the argument that the speedbumps should be easily "drive overable" (cool word that) at the speed limit. Not a third of it!

Then NW usually shoots me down with ridiclous accident statistics from a backwater village in Kazakhstan.
speedbumps
should be easily "drive overable" (cool word that) at the speed
limit. Not a third of it!

NW usually shoots me down with ridiclous accident statistics from
a backwater village in Kazakhstan.

I imagine Kazakhstan driving would give NW a heart attack (in fact from what I hear metropolitan Russian driving would too). I am sure the accident statistics are truly impressive though. But speed bumps in such places should mean a measurable increase in the number of airborne car incidents.

I notice NW hasn't been much in evidence lately. I suspect long, delicious, sinful speeding sessions in the Almera. Can be a bit addictive, a new motor.
I was thinking the very same thing.

But then I realised it was NW. And an Almera. ;-)
But then I realised it was NW. And an Almera. ;-)

The spirit is often willing, Adam, but the flesh may be deplorably weak. And surely even an Almera auto can hoist itself up to 90ish (perfectly OK for a learner-speeder).
FAQs - Speed Humps / Cushions / Bumps - Big Bad Dave
"a backwater village in Kazakhstan"

That?s my home you?re talking about.
Whoops. Sorry Dave.

I can still have my own custom built room at your new place can't I?
FAQs - Speed Humps / Cushions / Bumps - boxsterboy
a retail park.
--
L\'escargot.

>>

where do you live, the Outer Hebrides?

My 25 mile drive to work entails probably 20. What really get me are the thin rubber strip ones, like the ones in Ikea Croydon car park. Even at 2 mph they send an uncomfortable shudder through the whole car. It's enough to stop me going there again.
FAQs - Speed Humps / Cushions / Bumps - Mapmaker
one once in a blue moon.

Swopsie time snailey, you come and live where I live, I'll take your flock of sheep & Scottish island. I've just tried to count the number I go over in a fifteen minute journey through the middle of London (5 miles, tops?) to get on the A11 at Bow. And failed. Ran out of fingers & toes.
FAQs - Speed Humps / Cushions / Bumps - helicopter
Ah but Mapmaker - with flocks of sheep and Scottish Islands come metal bar type cattle grids - try taking those at speed , like a dozen speed humps in the space of 20 ft.....
Fines Mess They've Got Us Into - mss1tw
Sad to say our Conservative Council has not only paid out
a fortune on humping the roads but has now imposed hefty
fees for parking in previously free carparks and has adopted draconian
parking enforcement throughout the borough. A bunch of 'enforcers' dressed as
Hitler are now slapping tickets on anything parked on a line
and taking digital photos of the evidence. All totally unnecessary because
there was no real problem to solve. But a serious problem
bas been created. I wonder how the sums stack up. After
the uniforms and equipment has been paid for, does the council
or some enforcement agency make a significant profit? Probably the latter
proving yet again the fastest growing business in the UK is
the Fines Buisness.
HJ

Whereabouts is this HJ? Seeing as you live in the same town as me!
Fines Mess They've Got Us Into - HF
I live in a Conservative-controlled coucil area, where, at much expense to the tax-payer, bumps were installed in the 'richer streets' ie where councillors and their supporters lived and campaigned for them. Gradually, again at much expense to the taxpayer, they are beginning to be dismantled due to their unpopularity, and other measures installed (usually to be trashed again shortly afterwards after enough complaints and insufficient planning/consideration.)

I personally see nothing wrong with the things though. As a traffic calming measure, ok they might be annoying to some, but what is more effective? At least bumps cause concern to the driver about damaging his/her car which just might make him or her slow down a bit, whereas ignoring speed limits can be done with no repercussions whatsoever to the driver unless there happens to be a rare policeman about. And bumps outside schools I positively endorse. My local primary has a 20mph limit but no bumps - and how many drivers do you think take any notice?
what is more effective? At least bumps cause concern to the
driver about damaging his/her car which just might make him or
her slow down a bit, whereas ignoring speed limits can be
done with no repercussions whatsoever to the driver unless there happens
to be a rare policeman about. And bumps outside schools I
positively endorse. My local primary has a 20mph limit but no
bumps - and how many drivers do you think take any
notice?

If you know Sunbury-on-Thames at all, you will know how many speed bumps there are there, and how harsh they are. They are still taken at 70mph on occasions be a friend.

The only people who seem to slow for them are people that don't do ludicrous speeds in the first place.

Shocker.

No I don't know Sunbury-on-Thames at all, although it does sound slightly like the setting for a Miss Marple mystery.Although most of my regular journeys do take in a hell of a lot of speed bumps.

Your friend doing 70mph over them really needs for one of my rare policemen to see him/her. I hope you don't travel in that friend's car too often.

You're right that the only people that slow are the ones that aren't taking the pee in the first place - but what's the alternative? The consensus here, which I don't agree with, is that speed cameras are not liked, and neither are any of the other traffic calming methods tried by local councils.

So what is the answer? There are so many threads and posts here putting down existing methods, so what do people want? And I do not mean being allowed to do what speed they want wherever they want. It does seem to me that too many people, here and elsewhere, make their own rules and abide by them. But can anyone come up with an answer which will both be acceptable to Mr or Mrs 'I can do what I want' and also abide with sensible speed limits? (I am talking small roads, towns etc, I would not dream of entering the motorway debate.)
HF
Fines Mess They've Got Us Into - Manatee
What's wrong with a camera to enforce a speed limit by a school? Far better than road obstructions IMHO.
Fines Mess They've Got Us Into - Lud
What's wrong with a camera to enforce a speed limit by
a school? Far better than road obstructions IMHO.

Quite right Manatee. I knew I was wrong ro be rude to you earlier on. Sorry.
Your friend doing 70mph over them really needs for one of
my rare policemen to see him/her. I hope you don't travel
in that friend's car too often.

Not if I can help it!
You're right that the only people that slow are the ones
that aren't taking the pee in the first place - but
what's the alternative? The consensus here, which I don't agree with,
is that speed cameras are not liked, and neither are any
of the other traffic calming methods tried by local councils.
So what is the answer?

A population of people sensible/talented enough not to need them - both drivers and pedestrians/parents.

You didn't say it had to be realistic!
Manatee no probs at all with a camera - but all we have here is the 20mph sign and nowt to enforce it. In 12 years of doing a school run at the particular school I am referring to, I have twice seen police patrolling, and another couple of times the community support officers. Some incentive huh?

And Mss1tw (are you the one that is called shocker? - not sure) - ok it's good that you don't go in that person's car. But I hope to hell that he doesn't live around here.

As for the realistic - well if only enough people were as sensible/talented as you say, and became the majority. Another of my pipe dreams, I guess. (Going off to refill my pipe and ponder points now.)
And Mss1tw (are you the one that is called shocker? -
not sure)

Heh, no I meant it's a 'shocker' that speed bumps only seem to affect those that don't need them.
ok it's good that you don't go in
that person's car. But I hope to hell that he doesn't
live around here.

Nope, Sunbury!
As for the realistic - well if only enough people were
as sensible/talented as you say, and became the majority.
Another of my pipe dreams, I guess.
(Going off to refill my >> pipe and ponder points now.)

Haha sorry for misunderstanding!

Fines Mess They've Got Us Into - Civic8
>>I personally see nothing wrong with the things though. As a traffic calming measure, ok they might be annoying to some, but what is more effective?

There is nothing really that is effective,speed cameras are slowed to-but go back to excessive speed once passed,most speed humps in bromley are not being repaired as are the roads in region of humps *ie if they break up at the sides or start to collapse into road* neither are repaired making the roads even more damaging to tyres suspension and more chance of accidents.

One thing would be effective is that speed cameras are hidden.
I get the impression if they dont repair it will slow down traffic,saving them a fair bit in repair costs
--
Steve
Fines Mess They've Got Us Into - drbe
Whereabouts is this HJ? Seeing as you live in the same
town as me!

>>

Elmbridge i.e. Esher, Walton and Weybridge.
FAQs - Speed Humps / Cushions / Bumps - machika
a retail park.
--
L\'escargot.

>>

They are to be found in many residential areas. In part of Derby, the residents got so fed up with them, that they mounted a prolonged campaign to get rid of them, which they eventually succeeded in doing.