Driving USA - Citroënian {P}
Hi all,

Does anyone know what documents you'd need to hire a car a drive stateside? Is the UK driving licence/passport enough.

I've a friend who's heading there for the first time so would appreciate any advice/tips for driving over there.

tia
Lee -- Without bills, magazines and junk mail, there is no mail
Driving USA - cheddar
Is the UK driving licence/passport enough.

Yup, in fact the license and a CC is enough to get a car though he will of course have his passport with him if they do ask to see it.
Driving USA - pd
If a photo licence then that (inc. counterpart) and a credit card will do. If an old style one then you'll need government issued photo id (i.e a passport).
Driving USA - Alijazz
Hi,

Still on driving USA - can I ask a question? Can anyone recommend a book or other publication with tips on how to drive in America? My brother is going over to Baltimore shortly, and unfortunately happened to read a website that said they have nine lane intersections. He is absolutely terrified, and would like to walk - slowly - but will have to drive to get to the place where he is teaching.

All thoughts gratefully appreciated.

Alijazz

PS I can't believe I have so many motoring questions. And what did I do before I found here? I am serious. It's weird.
Driving USA - Group B
Can anyone recommend a book or other publication with tips >> on how to drive in America?

Dont know of any books but I'm sure things like Lonely Planet or Rough Guide books on the USA should have a driving section. Found this website: www.usatourist.com/english/tips/driving.html .

If he just relaxes and takes it steady he will be fine. Things to note on the 'freeway' are that people are likely to pass you on both sides. Also I dont think the road signs are as good as ours; you have to be on the ball with where you need to get off the freeway because you sometimes dont get any notice that your exit is coming up.
In cities when turning at junctions, although the lights are green, you still have to give way to pedestrians.
Last time I had a hire car in Rhode Island for two weeks and I loved it!..
Driving USA - trancer
The best advice to give someone driving in the USA is don't overthink, certainly not to the point of reading a book on how to do it. Apart from the obvious differences in traffic code, and more importantly the driving publics interpretation of it, it is considerably easier driving in the US than in the UK. Never actually seen a book on driving in the US apart from the leaflet car hire companies hand out with the usual "drive on the right" etc, which I am sure he already knows.

More practical advice would probably be more beneficial, but where to start?.

When on motorways expect to be passed on both sides. Americans for the most part do not adhere to any particular rule regarding what side to pass on so check both mirrors when changing lane.

Some states and jurisdictions allow cars to turn right into an intersection when the traffic light is red, so if you are in a turn lane waiting to go expect to hear lots of horns behind you if you are sat there waiting on a green. Likewise don't panic if you have a green and see cars pulling out into your lane from side streets that are on red.

Almost all petrol stations require you pay before you pump. If paying by card, most stations with have swipe/readers attached to the pump. If paying by cash you will have to go in first and pay for how much fuel you want. If you don't know how much the tank will take and over pay, don't worry about having to go back in for a refund, its common practice and won't raise any eyebrows.

If stopped by the police (especially in Baltimore, but don't mention that bit to your friend), do not get out of your car and approach the police car. Keep both hands on the steering wheel at all times. If you must reach for a driving document etc, be sure to let the policeman know thats what you intend to do and do it slowly.

I could go on forever, so you might be better off seeing if your friend has any specific questions/doubts etc and coming back and asking. Lots of others here have driven in the US and I am sure they could have other tips to add.
Driving USA - Robert J.
I agree with the above, driving in the States is easy compared to uk. You don't seem to get all that aggression like you do here and other motorists are more tolerant of mistakes. One thing to watch though, they don't have slip roads on multi-lane roads like us, so if you stick in lane one you will find yourself driving off the freeway at the next junction. Not a big deal though, you can get straight back on easily.
Driving USA - Dalglish
alijazz: note, iirc, trancer is from usa and has long experience of driving there and here. the one tip i would add to his list is regarding passing school buses when they have their lights flashing: don't pass.

a quick google also brought up these (of many others):
www.kissimmee-us192.com/british/driving.htm
www.hm-usa.com/driving03.html
www.travelfurther.net/dictionaries/index.htm
www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/driver_handbook_toc.htm
www.hsmv.state.fl.us/
www.hsmv.state.fl.us/handbooks/English/
www.lowestpricetrafficschool.com/handbooks/driver/...n

Driving USA - Kevin
>Can anyone recommend a book or other publication with tips

Tell him to go to the local Dept. of Public Safety. They will give him a copy of the Drivers Handbook or download a copy from here:

mva.state.md.us/OnlineServices/Docs/default.htm

Kevin...
Driving USA - barney100
Tell your friend to get his insurance requirements right. They will try to sell extra insurance which you don't need so check carefully what is needed and what is not!
Driving USA - NARU
Or buy a policy from www.insurance4carhire.com/
Driving USA - Cyd
'Don't pass a school bus with its lights flashing'. This isn't a tip - it's a LEGAL REQUIREMENT for traffic in both directions to stop whilst children are embarking or alighting.

Officer Dibble is just as devious as PC Plod when it comes to catching speeders. Watch out for anonymous looking brown or black Crown Victorias
Driving USA - trancer
Regarding the school bus it depends on the width of the central reservation, if any, between you and the stopped school bus travelling in the opposite direction. I don't remember the requirements exactly so I won't guess and confuse the issue, but if in doubt I would stop and if there is a lot of tyre squealing and enraged drivers behind you then its safe to assume you did not need to. 8-)

I don't think any police depts use brown Crown Vics anymore so you might have a job on your hands trying to spot one. The good thing is no speed cameras so you can actually pay attention to your driving and not roadside furniture...imagine that!!.
Driving USA - trancer
Just remembered another. A stop sign means you must come to a complete stop, regardless of how empty the road is or if you can see it is clear for miles. Pretend you are dropping off or picking up a passenger. You wouldn't do that with the car slightly rolling so don't do it at stop signs. This is a pet peeve for many police officers and they love writing tickets for it.

When my English wife used to visit me in the US, she could never get her head around me stopping at intersections when there was nothing coming the other way...pretty much the same way I can't get my head around not passing on the inside when lane 1 is perfectly clear. 8-)
Driving USA - g3zdm
I can vouch for the stop advice.
I once rolled through from a minor to a slightly more major road in the wilds of Arizona as all I could see coming was a white car half a mile a way.
That white car actually carried an eagle-eyed cop and the car was quite fast.
Fortunately he asked me where I was from , saw the UK driving licence and asked how long I had been in Arizona.
When I told him 2 weeks , but had only driven into Az from California the previous day, he told me "This here's Arizona and you were doing a Californian stop". I got away with a warning ticket - and the 9 and 11 year old kids in my car were the quietest I had seen them for weeks.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.
Driving USA - Lud
Drive like an utter mimsing moron and no one will look at you twice. Just remember: stay off the loud pedal.